The Week Ahead from Monday 6th June 2011: Pendulum, Enrique Iglesias, Gomez, Download 2011, The Pierces, Wu-Tang Clan and more
June is literally busting out all over with a whole rack of big festivals and open-air concerts all due to commence during the coming week. Pick of the bunch are Download, Isle of Wight (sold-out) and RockNess, as well as the beginning of the big-name Forestry Commission Live series and Ray Davies' cracking Meltdown. Many acts such as Pendulum, Jeff Beck and Def Leppard are playing festival warm-ups, whilst Enrique Iglesias, Ryan Adams (and namesake Bryan), Gomez and more begin tours of varying interest.
All prices are exclusive of booking fees.
The Aussie rock 'n' bass boys are back with a string of massive festival shows at Glasto, Eden and SW4 - but before all that, there's just time for Download and a warm-up show the night before. Newcastle is the lucky city on Thursday and surprisingly there are still a few tickets left at £22.50.
Tonight (and for four nights only) he'll be loving you - From Nottingham on Wednesday to Wembley on Sunday (Capital FM Summertime Ball appearance), via Cardiff and Glasgow, you can still pick up tickets for all of them except for that London day-fest.
Kitty, Daisy & Lewis
The sibling multi-instrumental country, blues and rock 'n' roots trio (plus guests) continue to keep it in the family with a full UK jaunt, starting with Portsmouth on Tuesday and continuing to Glasgow, Nottingham etc until London's Dingwalls on 21st June. Tickets are £10 (Exeter is £8!).
Ben Ottewell returns from solo duty to drive Gomez' next UK tour and album for 2011, starting in Bournemouth on Thursday and ending at the Roundhouse in Camden on 21st. Expect new songs from "Whatever's On Your Mind" and ticket prices of around £17 - £20.
The Canadian alt-country rock singer is gearing up for a trip to the UK later in June, but prior to this he will play in Ireland, beginning with Cork on Tuesday (€44.20) and a sold-out gig in Dublin on the following night. Out of the UK dates, only Brighton on 22nd is still available (£24).
More siblings, though this time of a more straight-up country-rock persuasion. Not surprisingly for a much-touted act, they've sold out many dates on their imminent tour, but Edinburgh, Nottingham and Birmingham are still up for around £10.
Building up to their Glastonbury appearance later this month, the Wu begin a short UK tour on Saturday with two gigs in London at the Forum, followed by Birmingham, Edinburgh and Manchester - tickets are £29.50 (£32.50 for the capital).
The Queen of reggae (and who are we to disagree) and former Bob Marley singer begins a UK tour on Friday, beginning in Glasgow, followed by big city stops, until 17th June when she arrives in Falmouth for a rare piece of Cornish history! £12 - £16.
Yo La Tengo
Spin, spin, spin the wheel of justice, sang Vic Reeves on his TV show many years ago - Yo La Tengo have adopted a similar idea for song-title selection for their Wheel Spin shows, starting in Edinburgh on Monday and finally ending up at the Meltdown Festival at the end of the week. From £15.
The Wild Swans
Fans of this influential and melodic Liverpool post-punk outfit will be able to hear brand new material for the first time in 20 years when the band perform a handful of shows from Glasgow (Tuesday) to Liverpool (Sat). Tickets are £12.50 - £17.50.
We recently told you about Ash's plans to play a quartet of new shows on the UK mainland during July, including Sheffield's Tramlines Festival. Prior to that, Dublin, Antrim and Belfast shows take priority from Monday onwards.
Currently an unknown quantity around these parts, Allen is an accomplished singer-songwriter who has knocked out a few decent albums, none more so than the recent "Sweet Defeat" album. His tour starts in Oxford on Wednesday and ends in Brighton on the 23rd. Tickets cost £10 - £12.50.
The return of the Dutch remix master begins with two club appearances in Blackpool (Fri) and Edinburgh (Sat), followed by a Gatecrasher appearance on the 18th. Tickets vary in price but start at £10. Don't forget that you can also catch Luke at South West Four during the August Bank Holiday.
Joining the techno-rodent for a full-on dance-fest in Victoria Park on Saturday will be Mark Ronson, Calvin Harris, Zane Lowe (all on DJ duties), Modestep, Netsky and many more - tickets still up for £42.
Sheffield's steely rockers are all set to warm up for Download, playing two shows with Alice Cooper and Thin Lizzy in Belfast (Tues) and Dublin (Weds) - tickets for both shows are still available, priced from £41.50 (or €59.50 for Dublin.
Black Stone Cherry
Also taking place next week are further warm-up shows for Download from Black Stone Cherry in Leamington (Tues) and Cardiff (Thurs) and CKY in Cardiff (Weds) and Nuneaton (Thurs) and an Isle of Wight Festival show in Bournemouth for the legendary Jeff Beck (Saturday), as well as two massive sold-out shows for Arctic Monkeys (weekend) and rare UK dates for acclaimed alt-country songwriter, Gregory Alan Isakov (Brighton and London).
This year's curator has lined up the usual eclectic array of artists for this South Bank annual bonanza - Ray Davies appears with The Fugs, Madness, Wire, Alan Price, Lydia Lunch and more from Friday onwards - tickets vary in price.
Forestry Commission Live Music 2011
The busy open-air season gathers apace with Status Quo, Erasure, Simple Minds and Sophie Ellis-Bextor all appearing at various beautiful green spaces around the south of England, with Thetford Forest and Bedgebury Pinetum being the first forest areas to open their gates.
Hampton Court Palace Festival
Big names descend on East Molesey's grand erection (ooer missus) with Bryan Adams kicking off this annual gathering on Weds, followed by Jools Holland, James Blunt, Don McLean and more. Tickets for all shows are now in short supply, with Bryan's gig only offering Picnic tickets at £70.
The first huge metal and rock festival in the most famous location (Donington) begins at the weekend with Linkin Park, Def Leppard, The Darkness, System of a Down and Avenged Sevenfold all swishing hair against the mic for your enjoyment. Weekend tickets are available at £145 (or £75 per day) - selling fast now!!
Head to Scotland for a cracking three-day line-up of Kasabian, Chemical Brothers, The Cribs and Paolo Nutini (and loads more), all presented in the splendid Loch Ness area and priced at 3149 for weekend tickets.
Capital FM Summertime Ball
Capital FM Summertime Ball 2011
A perfectly packaged pubescent parade of pop-stars (J-Lo, Jessie-J, LMFAO, Nicole Scherzinger, Example etc) are all set to entertain a screaming hoard of fans at Wembley on Sunday, although the event has now sold-out, as indeed has the Isle Of Wight Festival 2011. You could also consider heading to the dance-fest called Glade at Houghton Hall, Manchester's The Parklife Weekender 2011, Swansea's Escape into the Park 2011 (and the Championship!), featuring Chipmunk, Tinchy Stryder, Eddie Halliwell, Yasmin, and the perennial WOMAD Festival 2011 in Wiltshire.
Get Loaded in the Park 2011
Clapham Common will once again vibrate to the sound of thousands of stamping feet, pumping fists and top bands such as Razorlight, British Sea Power and The Cribs (around thirty bands in total). Tickets are still up for £35 and proceeds help The Big Issue
Theatre, Comedy and Arts
Cavalier For Milady
To help celebrate the 100th birthday of the influential American writer, Tennessee Williams, the Jermyn Street Theatre will host a world premiere production of the controversial play, "Cavalier For Milady". Running from Tuesday until 25th June, tickets cost from £12.
The Roar of the Greasepaint, the Smell of the Crowd
Heading across to the fringes of West London, we have the Finborough Theatre's presentation of the Anthony Newley musical, centring on the British class system. Tickets for the show, running from Tuesday until 2nd July, cost from £13.50.
The Flying Karamazov Brothers
London's Vaudeville Theatre will host this hilarious acrobatic show from four entertainers who are not brothers, can't fly and aren't Russian. Their kilted musical and juggling performances will play from Thursday until 10th September and cost from £39.
Britain's Got Talent
With all the hoo-hah surrounding Simon Cowell on rival show, X Factor, BGT audiences on the TV show showed their true feelings by booing him. C'est la vie. The touring version of the show will just feature the key performers from this series, with all dates still available apart from (somewhat ironically), Newcastle (work it out).
Worcester's Commandery Gardens presents a unique adaptation of Shakespeare's hilarious comedy from Tuesday onwards until 18th June. Tickets cost £11.25, not bad for a production full of sneaky plotting, unrequited love and cross-dressing (it says here).
This British series of books has, in the past few years, turned into a funny yet informative TV series, aimed at presenting kids with a bit of history with all the yucky, snotty and gory bits left in. It's not quite Blue Peter - and who cares!! Oxford's New Theatre hosts the next leg of the tour (about the Romans) from Tuesday onwards - tickets cost from £12.
Puccini's iconic opera will begin a 6-week run from Tuesday until mid-July. Tickets for the Royal Opera House performances start at £14.80 and £31.70, rising to (cough) £219.50 (all are still available).
The home of the English National Opera, the London Coliseum, will begin presenting Verdi's rarely-performed Simon Boccanegra from Wednesday onwards. The shows take place on various different days of the week until 9th July and tickets cost from £15 upwards.
If swinging your hips and feet lightly to "Rhapsody In Blue" or "An American In Paris" sounds like heaven, head to the Royal Albert Hall for a series of Strictly Gershwin shows from Thursday till 19th June. Show and film tunes performed by over 100 dancers and full orchestra all comes at a price - £31 upwards.
Droll, dry but never dull, master of the one-liners, Stewart Francis will be performing with Sean Hughes and Kevin Eldon as part of the Time Out Laugh Out Loud show on Monday (£18.50), before heading off to Swansea for, not one but, two nights - both still available at £13.
- Thu 23rd May 2019 to Thu 31st Oct 2019 Stewart Francis: Into the PunsetBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2019 All Points East, Chemical Brothers, Hot Chip, Primal Scream,...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 Snow Patrol, Two Door Cinema Club, Foy Vance, Ash, SOAK, Jea...Ward Park (Bangor [Down])Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 to Sat 31st Aug 2019 MadnessBuy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2019 Sunday Sessions: Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, Razorlight, The Coral, N...Earlham Park (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2019 WireEartH [Hackney Arts Centre] (Stoke Newington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Jun 2019 Camden Rocks, Ash, Rat Boy, Carl Barât, Raging Speedho...Various Camden Venues (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Jun 2019 to Thu 13th Jun 2019 Sophie Ellis-Bextor: The Song DiariesBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Jun 2019 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Hampton Cou...Hampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jun 2019 Hampton Court Palace Festival, The JacksonsHampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jun 2019 Jon AllenBorderline (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2019 and Sun 9th Jun 2019 ParklifeMore Info..
- Sat 8th Jun 2019 Kitty, Daisy and LewisThe Georgian Theatre/ Green Room (Stockton-on-Tees)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2019 Hampton Court Palace Festival, BustedHampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2019 Capital FM Summertime Ball, Mark Ronson, 5 Seconds of Summer...Wembley Stadium (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2019 to Sun 16th Jun 2019 DownloadBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2019 Hampton Court Palace Festival, Caro EmeraldHampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2019 to Sat 19th Oct 2019 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Jun 2019 Live at Chelsea, Toto, The DarknessThe Royal Hospital (Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Jun 2019 and Sun 23rd Jun 2019 Forest Live, StereophonicsBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Jun 2019 Isle of Wight FestivalSeaclose Park (Newport [Isle of Wight])Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Jun 2019 to Sat 6th Jul 2019 Forest Live, Paul WellerBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Jun 2019 and Thu 20th Jun 2019 Foals, Forest LiveBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Jun 2019 Isle of Wight Festival, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, ...Seaclose Park (Newport [Isle of Wight])Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2019 and Sun 7th Jul 2019 Forest Live, Jack SavorettiBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2019 and Sun 16th Jun 2019 Forest Live, Hacienda ClassicalBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2019 Live at Down Hall, Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orc...Down Hall Estate (Essex)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2019 Isle of Wight Festival, George Ezra, Fatboy Slim, Bastille, ...Seaclose Park (Newport [Isle of Wight])Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Jun 2019 Isle of Wight Festival, Biffy Clyro, Richard Ashcroft, Jess ...Seaclose Park (Newport [Isle of Wight])Buy Tickets
- Mon 17th Jun 2019 to Sun 1st Sep 2019 Twelfth NightBuy Tickets
- Tue 18th Jun 2019 and Wed 19th Jun 2019 Hampton Court Palace Festival, Tears for FearsBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Jun 2019 Lydia LunchThe Voodoo Rooms (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Jun 2019 and Fri 21st Jun 2019 Kylie Minogue, Hampton Court Palace FestivalMore Info..
- Fri 21st Jun 2019 Tears for Fears, Forest LiveDelamere Forest (Northwich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Jun 2019 and Wed 24th Jul 2019 Madness, The Jockey Club LiveBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2019 to Fri 5th Jul 2019 Forest Live, Jess GlynneBuy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Jun 2019 Nocturne Live, Kylie Minogue, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, The Hackn...Blenheim Palace (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Jun 2019 Chemical Brothers, Eden SessionsThe Eden Project (Cornwall)More Info..
- Sun 30th Jun 2019 Forest Live, Jack Savoretti, The Wandering HeartsSherwood Forest Pines (Mansfield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Jul 2019 and Sat 14th Sep 2019 Pub in the Park, Razorlight, Stereo MCs: Evening SessionBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Jul 2019 Kew the Music, Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchest...Kew Gardens (Richmond upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Jul 2019 TRNSMT, Stormzy, Gerry Cinnamon, Years and Years, AJ Tracey,...Glasgow Green (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Jul 2019 Lytham Festival, Kylie Minogue, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Ana Mat...Lytham Green (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Jul 2019 to Thu 18th Jul 2019 Black Stone CherryBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Jul 2019 Evoke Festival, Jessie J, Fleur East, Expose, The Kubricks, ...Brentwood Centre (Brentwood)Buy Tickets
- Sun 14th Jul 2019 Evoke Festival, Clean Bandit, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Carol Dec...Brentwood Centre (Brentwood)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Jul 2019 to Fri 26th Jul 2019 Gomez: Liquid SkinBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Jul 2019 Ramblin' Man Fair, The Darkness, The Wildhearts, FM, Kris Ba...Mote Park (Maidstone)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 Ramblin' Man Fair, Black Stone Cherry, Cheap Trick, Anathema...Mote Park (Maidstone)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 Splendour, Manic Street Preachers, The Specials, Rag N Bone ...Wollaton Park/ Hall (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 25th Jul 2019 to Sun 28th Jul 2019 WOMAD FestivalBuy Tickets