- The Waterboys
Anglo-Scottish-Irish rock-folk band initially formed in 1982 by Mike Scott, Anto Thistlethwaite, Karl Wallinger and Roddy Lorimer (the last three having now left). Wallinger left to form World Party in 1985, to be replaced by Steve Wickham.
In the early to mid 80s, they were part of a movement created mainly by Scott called 'The Big Music' along with similar acts such as Hothouse Flowers, In Tua Nua and The Alarm. This term also titled an early single and drove the sound of the successful "This Is The Sea" album (and popular single "Whole Of The Moon").
In the late 80s, the band migrated to Ireland and discovered folk, releasing "Fisherman's Blues" and "Room To Roam".
The band returned to its early roots on 1993's "Dream Harder" and 2000's "A Rock In A Weary Land" before releasing the critically-acclaimed 2015 set "Modern Blues" which became their highest-placed album since "Fisherman's Blues" in 1988 .
In 2010, Mike Scott presented the poetry-music show, "An Appointment With Mr Yeats".
Key Waterboys songs include: "A Girl Called Johnny", "Pagan Place", "Whole Of The Moon", "If Ye Go Away" and "Glastonbury Song".
Events for The Waterboys
- Mon 27th May 2019 The WaterboysThe Philharmonic Hall (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Tue 28th May 2019 The WaterboysThe Bridgewater Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 29th May 2019 The WaterboysThe Sage (Gateshead)Buy Tickets
- Thu 5th Sep 2019 The WaterboysThe Lump (Isle of Skye)Buy Tickets
- Thu 5th Sep 2019 Skye Live, The WaterboysThe Lump (Isle of Skye)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Sep 2019 The WaterboysMusic Hall (Aberdeen)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Sep 2019 The WaterboysBarrowland Ballroom (Glasgow)Buy Tickets