- Elly Roberts
For 22 years I was a Visual & Performing Arts teacher in North Wales.
I currently operate as a freelance Music and Arts Journalsist for the following.
Wrexham Evening Leader ( North Wales Newspapers ) - Live theatre and music reviews
Wrexham Mail ( Trinity / Mirror Group ) - Live theatre and music reviews
Western Mail - live music and theatre reviews
Spanish mainland :
Costa Blanca News Live concert / CD and DVD reviews Please visit www.costablanca-news.com ( Music Reviews )
Focus Weekly ( Marbella ) as above
On request, I make guest contributions to :
BBC Radio Wales
BBC Radio Merseyside
Also, broadcaster with Wrexham FM
Press : Newspaper Society Member
Broadcasting Qualifications : OCN in Broadcasting ( To BBC standards )
Reviewing & Musical tastes :
As a music lover and journalist, I have eclectic tastes, therefor trying to give my readers as broad a church of styles as possible.
- Kimmie Rhodes - Miracles on Christmas Day Album Review
- Inspiration for songwriters comes in many forms. This collection was apparently inspired by country legend Willie Nelson no less.Texan Rhodes had been threatening to release a coll...
- Maini Sorri - Christmas In Our Hearts Single Review
- 'Christmas In Our Hearts' by Finnish songbird Maini Sorri is surprisingly refreshing compared to the usual festive fodder.Sweet voiced Maini is a well-trained musician (a BA degree...
- Thea Gilmore - Teach Me To Be Bad Single Review
- Getting a hit single for someone like Thea Gilmore is nigh on impossible these days when you look at the state of the UK singles chart. It really is a sad state of affairs.Gilmore ...
- Vessels - Meatman, Piano Tuner, Prostitute (ft. Stuart Warwick) Single Review
- Comparisons will immediately be made with Icelandic experimentalists Sigur Ros, but that’s no bad thing.This meandering and enigmatically titled track is exquisite, though more of ...
- Steven L Smith - Outside Of Tupelo Album Review
- Redneck country-blues…good too. When you get a line like “I’m the redneck son of a gun” on the opening song, you know exactly watcha gonna git. Well, actually, it’s not all bravado...
- Dudley Taft - Left For Dead Album Review
- Power Blues-Rock from Seattle. New Stevie Ray Vaughan?Goatee-bearded Dudley Taft, 44, has learnt his trade with great observation and dedication during spells with Sweet Water and ...
- Beatbullyz - Human Nature Album Review
- Swindon troupe with an eye on the charts.For this review, I have to abandon any prejudice I have for boy-bands, and go with the flow. September 20th saw the release of Beatbullyz’s...
- Italian Japanese - The Lush, Romantic Weirdness Album Review
- LA indie-popsters on a mission.Despite their LA base, indie-rockers Italian Japanese have developed a soundscape that is synonymous with British acts. You really wouldn’t think tha...
- Maini Sorri - Someday EP Review
- Maini Sorri's CD packshot might not look too appealing but pop in the CD and Sorri’s inner beauty shines through, because this Scandinavian singer-songwriter with a Finnish backgro...
- JoGa - Good Morning! Album Review
- BEWARE ! Loony tunes from…New York.As soon as you’ve popped-in this CD you’ll think ‘troubadour’. Now, JoGaBop sometimes known as JoGa (or whoever), is very much an acquired taste,...
- Stephanie Finch - Cry Tomorrow Album Review
- Like the PR blurb says, Cry Tomorrow really is ‘a little gem’.It’s not often the hype matches up to the content, so it comes as a pleasant surprise to hear such a compact album whi...
- Zero 7 - Record Album Review
- Avante garde pop…musos delight.Zero 7 have just released a double CD of their best bits from the past and present with an additional disc of remixes from the likes of Carl Craig, M...
- I am Sam - Let It Pump Single Review
- Here comes another wannabe, or is wallaby?Living in Sydney Australia hasn’t affected Sam Pierce’s Surrey accent one iota. It may well have affected his songwriting though.
- David Celia - I Tried Album Review
- Canadian’s homage to Beatle and Newman. Well, almost.David Celia is considered one of Toronto’s most experienced independent artists having garnered a considerable fan base in his ...
- Water Tower Bucket Boys - Sole Kitchen Album Review
- Country bumpkins havin’ a ball. Think Soggy Bottom Boys, but new.Apparently the Pacific North West is a bubbling cauldron of activity on the folk music scene.
- Mercedes Cano @ Pena Flamenca, Lorca - 22/05/2010 - Live Review
- Sick of the proverbial karaoke nights, and ‘second rate’ pretenders on the Costa Blanca?There is an alternative: the ‘real’ thing - Spanish folklore music. Right now, this genre i...
- The Travelling Band - Sundial Single Review
- New summer anthem. Looks like it.Manchester six-pack The Travelling Band have certainly stirred up some interest.
- Various Artists - Nigeria Special: Volume 2 Album Review
- Afro-sounds part two.This recent release on Soundway comes almost two years after Volume 1, featuring an abundance of talent that created Modern Highlife and Nigerian blues between...
- Akai - The Coldest Hour (Is Just Before Dawn) Album Review
- St Paul, Minnesota, is a city I’m familiar with having been there in 1995, and so from that very city comes Akai, with their new album – The Coldest Hour (Is Just Before Dawn).I’m ...
- Putumayo - Various Artists - Rhythm & Blues Album Review
- All-star line-up on sizzling compilation.Quality control at Putumayo World Music has raised the bar with this outstanding release, showing they’ve done their homework thoroughly.
- Civilized Animals - Civilized Animals Album Review
- Seattle rockers Brock Boehm (vox / drums) Jason Casatelli (vox / guitar, bass) and Michael Romagnino (vox / guitar) collectively known as Civilized Animals are indirectly hanging o...
- Yardsale - Knock Alley West Album Review
- Rootin’ tootin’ rock…from Kentucky. Where else?If there was ever a band that captures the spirit of the Stones, then it’s Yardsale.
- Simply Red - Songs of Love Album Review
- Simply Red’s final hoorah? Who knows?Songs Of Love, Love Songs, they’re all the same to this reviewer.
- Tom McRae - The Alphabet Of Hurricanes Album Review
- The McRaenium rides again…and still doesn’t fall off.Tom McRae has consistently proved to be one of Britain’s most endearing songwriters. It beggars belief he hasn’t become a house...
- Corinne Bailey Rae - The Sea Album Review
- Nu-soul songbird Corrine Bailey Rae, 31, hasn't had a very good time of things since the death of her husband, Jason Rae, a couple of years ago.Now she's back with a new album, The...