City Awakenings - Mull Historical Society Album Review
It's little more than a few notes into the chiming percussion and trotting guitar led instrumental to opener, 'Must You Make Eyes At Me Now'. That you realise how much this band, once voted twelfth greatest Scottish band of all time, have been missed during their lengthy hiatus. When the strained and genuine vocals of Colin Macintyre kick in, then a pondering stirring, blues layered intro, makes you just want to yell "welcome back guys!" at your IPod or choice of music playing medium. It blends neatly into the churning, more vocal grizzle inclusive attack on false lovers, 'Can You Let Her Know'.
'Must You Get Low', shows that the old school indie bands are still the best at the pace chilling, slow-burning and stirring ballad, as this concept album that explores the importance of cities takes a bracing nostalgic pit-stop. A lively, digitally toed edge ups the tempo for 'Honey Pie', as Macintyre's vocals take on a more dramatic, strained edge and increase in profile to match that of the instrumentals. It shows that eclectic adventure is still within them.
Of course, the lyrics still hold meaning, heart, reflection and food for thought. With the slow, stirring and nearly wooing backing spiced, 'This Is Not My Heart' being a prime example of this:
Love letters of stone won't set alight: I am alone in your lie.
I was awake just thinking of you.
Usually when an evergreen, what some people would call veteran band reunites six plus years after their last album, it makes you question their motives and even desire. Are they doing it because all other avenues have led to a dead end? No, not in this case; Mull Historical Society still has something to say and some cities to explore.
You may be interested in
- Tue 6th Dec 2016 to Sat 1st Apr 2017 BlossomsBuy Tickets
- Tue 6th Dec 2016 to Wed 14th Dec 2016 Youth ClubBuy Tickets
- Wed 7th Dec 2016 to Wed 26th Apr 2017 Dan OwenBuy Tickets
- Wed 7th Dec 2016 Few BitsThe Victoria (Dalston) (London)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Dec 2016 and Fri 16th Jun 2017 HoneybloodBuy Tickets
- Thu 8th Dec 2016 ThumpersThe Courtyard Theatre - Hoxton (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Dec 2016 and Tue 13th Dec 2016 Rozi PlainBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Dec 2016 Bronagh GallagherThe Belfast Empire Music Hall (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Dec 2016 to Tue 13th Dec 2016 Lucy RoseBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Dec 2016 God Damn, Johnny ForeignerThe Hare & Hounds 1/2 (Kings Heath)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Dec 2016 D.I.DThe Cookie (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Dec 2016 Sean Nicholas SavageThe Waiting Room (Stoke Newington)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Dec 2016 to Thu 23rd Mar 2017 Declan McKennaBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Dec 2016 to Tue 21st Mar 2017 FathersonBuy Tickets
- Sat 31st Dec 2016 Edinburgh's Hogmanay, Paolo Nutini, The Charlatans, Fatherso...Princes Street (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Wed 11th Jan 2017 Norma Jean MartineServant Jazz Quarters (Dalston)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Jan 2017 and Sat 21st Jan 2017 Bell X1More Info..
- Mon 23rd Jan 2017 to Sat 4th Feb 2017 Chris DuncanBuy Tickets
- Tue 24th Jan 2017 Martha FfionHug and Pint (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Tue 24th Jan 2017 and Fri 27th Jan 2017 The WoodentopsBuy Tickets
- Wed 25th Jan 2017 AsylumsThe Horn Reborn (St. Albans)Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Jan 2017 The HummingbirdsFat Lil's Music and Comedy Venue (Witney)Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Jan 2017 GAPSThe Hope and Ruin (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 13th Feb 2017 to Sun 19th Feb 2017 Tegan and SaraBuy Tickets
- Thu 16th Feb 2017 Billy LockettThe Forge (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 20th Feb 2017 to Sun 26th Feb 2017 TelemanBuy Tickets
- Thu 2nd Mar 2017 to Wed 15th Mar 2017 The Pigeon DetectivesBuy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Mar 2017 The Claim, Theatre Royal [band]100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 15th Mar 2017 and Fri 17th Mar 2017 Tove LoBuy Tickets
- Wed 15th Mar 2017 Cold CaveO2 Academy (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Tue 25th Apr 2017 to Thu 27th Apr 2017 JAWSBuy Tickets