City Awakenings - Mull Historical Society Album Review
It's little more than a few notes into the chiming percussion and trotting guitar led instrumental to opener, 'Must You Make Eyes At Me Now'. That you realise how much this band, once voted twelfth greatest Scottish band of all time, have been missed during their lengthy hiatus. When the strained and genuine vocals of Colin Macintyre kick in, then a pondering stirring, blues layered intro, makes you just want to yell "welcome back guys!" at your IPod or choice of music playing medium. It blends neatly into the churning, more vocal grizzle inclusive attack on false lovers, 'Can You Let Her Know'.
'Must You Get Low', shows that the old school indie bands are still the best at the pace chilling, slow-burning and stirring ballad, as this concept album that explores the importance of cities takes a bracing nostalgic pit-stop. A lively, digitally toed edge ups the tempo for 'Honey Pie', as Macintyre's vocals take on a more dramatic, strained edge and increase in profile to match that of the instrumentals. It shows that eclectic adventure is still within them.
Of course, the lyrics still hold meaning, heart, reflection and food for thought. With the slow, stirring and nearly wooing backing spiced, 'This Is Not My Heart' being a prime example of this:
Love letters of stone won't set alight: I am alone in your lie.
I was awake just thinking of you.
Usually when an evergreen, what some people would call veteran band reunites six plus years after their last album, it makes you question their motives and even desire. Are they doing it because all other avenues have led to a dead end? No, not in this case; Mull Historical Society still has something to say and some cities to explore.
You may be interested in
- Sat 1st Oct 2016 to Wed 8th Mar 2017 BlossomsBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Oct 2016 to Fri 14th Oct 2016 The Pigeon DetectivesBuy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Oct 2016 to Thu 6th Oct 2016 Declan McKennaBuy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Oct 2016 to Thu 6th Oct 2016 The Lottery WinnersBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Oct 2016 to Mon 10th Oct 2016 Dua LipaBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Oct 2016 to Thu 8th Dec 2016 HoneybloodBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Oct 2016 Beaty HeartCLF Art Cafe/ Bussey Building (Peckham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Oct 2016 to Fri 25th Nov 2016 The HummingbirdsBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Oct 2016 to Wed 1st Feb 2017 Chris DuncanBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Oct 2016 and Fri 14th Oct 2016 Admiral FallowBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Oct 2016 and Thu 13th Oct 2016 Tor MillerBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Oct 2016 to Thu 24th Nov 2016 Johnny ForeignerBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Oct 2016 to Sun 23rd Oct 2016 PoliçaBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Oct 2016 and Sat 15th Oct 2016 My Life StoryBuy Tickets
- Sun 16th Oct 2016 and Tue 29th Nov 2016 Laura DoggettBuy Tickets
- Tue 18th Oct 2016 to Sun 6th Nov 2016 TelemanBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Oct 2016 to Sat 29th Oct 2016 Martha FfionBuy Tickets
- Thu 20th Oct 2016 to Thu 10th Nov 2016 Arc IrisBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Oct 2016 to Sat 29th Oct 2016 AsylumsBuy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Oct 2016 to Wed 26th Oct 2016 Emma BlackeryBuy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Oct 2016 to Fri 11th Nov 2016 TibetBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Oct 2016 to Tue 1st Nov 2016 Gemma Ray, Joe GideonBuy Tickets
- Thu 27th Oct 2016 to Mon 7th Nov 2016 The Japanese HouseBuy Tickets
- Thu 27th Oct 2016 Billy LockettSt Pancras Old Church (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Oct 2016 to Sat 12th Nov 2016 Bell X1Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Oct 2016 to Sun 13th Nov 2016 Bastille: Wild Wild WorldBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Oct 2016 and Wed 14th Dec 2016 Youth ClubBuy Tickets
- Wed 2nd Nov 2016 to Mon 7th Nov 2016 Christine and the QueensBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Nov 2016 to Thu 1st Dec 2016 Fickle FriendsBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th Nov 2016 The Lottery Winners, Roddy Radiation & The Skabilly Rebe...The Junction [J1/ J2/ J3] (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Nov 2016 and Sat 5th Nov 2016 The WoodentopsBuy Tickets