City Awakenings - Mull Historical Society Album Review
It's little more than a few notes into the chiming percussion and trotting guitar led instrumental to opener, 'Must You Make Eyes At Me Now'. That you realise how much this band, once voted twelfth greatest Scottish band of all time, have been missed during their lengthy hiatus. When the strained and genuine vocals of Colin Macintyre kick in, then a pondering stirring, blues layered intro, makes you just want to yell "welcome back guys!" at your IPod or choice of music playing medium. It blends neatly into the churning, more vocal grizzle inclusive attack on false lovers, 'Can You Let Her Know'.
'Must You Get Low', shows that the old school indie bands are still the best at the pace chilling, slow-burning and stirring ballad, as this concept album that explores the importance of cities takes a bracing nostalgic pit-stop. A lively, digitally toed edge ups the tempo for 'Honey Pie', as Macintyre's vocals take on a more dramatic, strained edge and increase in profile to match that of the instrumentals. It shows that eclectic adventure is still within them.
Of course, the lyrics still hold meaning, heart, reflection and food for thought. With the slow, stirring and nearly wooing backing spiced, 'This Is Not My Heart' being a prime example of this:
Love letters of stone won't set alight: I am alone in your lie.
I was awake just thinking of you.
Usually when an evergreen, what some people would call veteran band reunites six plus years after their last album, it makes you question their motives and even desire. Are they doing it because all other avenues have led to a dead end? No, not in this case; Mull Historical Society still has something to say and some cities to explore.
You may be interested in
- Wed 31st Aug 2016 FlyteThe Courtyard Theatre - Hoxton (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Sep 2016 Together the People, Brian Wilson, Nathaniel Rateliff, Hiatu...Preston Park (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Sep 2016 The OriellesThe Cookie (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Sep 2016 Dan OwenSt Pancras Old Church (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Sep 2016 The Gathering: Lucy RoseCecil Sharp House (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Sep 2016 Nadine ShahWater Rats (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Sep 2016 Petite MellerICA - Institute of Contemporary Arts (London)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Sep 2016 to Fri 16th Sep 2016 The ViewBuy Tickets
- Mon 12th Sep 2016 Bronagh GallagherThe Lexington (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Sep 2016 to Sat 22nd Oct 2016 The HummingbirdsBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Sep 2016 to Thu 6th Oct 2016 The Lottery WinnersBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Sep 2016 Norma Jean MartineOslo (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Sep 2016 Liverpool International Festival of Psychedelia, Super Furry...Camp and Furnace/ Blade Factory (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Sep 2016 to Sat 15th Oct 2016 My Life StoryBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Sep 2016 to Wed 14th Dec 2016 BlossomsBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Sep 2016 The Ordinary BoysThe Library/ Lending Room (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Mon 26th Sep 2016 to Thu 8th Dec 2016 HoneybloodBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Sep 2016 Bastille, Apple Music FestivalRoundhouse (Camden)More Info..
- Wed 28th Sep 2016 CovesThe Lexington (London)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Oct 2016 to Tue 4th Oct 2016 Declan McKennaBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Oct 2016 to Mon 10th Oct 2016 Dua LipaBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Oct 2016 Beaty HeartCLF Art Cafe/ Bussey Building (Peckham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Oct 2016 to Wed 1st Feb 2017 Chris DuncanBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Oct 2016 and Fri 14th Oct 2016 Admiral FallowBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Oct 2016 Tor MillerThe Forge (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Oct 2016 to Thu 24th Nov 2016 Johnny ForeignerBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Oct 2016 to Sun 23rd Oct 2016 PoliçaBuy Tickets
- Sun 16th Oct 2016 and Tue 29th Nov 2016 Laura DoggettBuy Tickets
- Tue 18th Oct 2016 to Sun 6th Nov 2016 TelemanBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Oct 2016 to Sat 29th Oct 2016 Martha FfionBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Oct 2016 HorsebeachO2 Academy (Islington)Buy Tickets