City Awakenings - Mull Historical Society Album Review
Its little more than a few notes into the chiming percussion and trotting guitar led instrumental to opener, Must You Make Eyes At Me Now. That you realise how much this band, once voted twelfth greatest Scottish band of all time, have been missed during their lengthy hiatus. When the strained and genuine vocals of Colin Macintyre kick in, then a pondering stirring, blues layered intro, makes you just want to yell welcome back guys! at your IPod or choice of music playing medium. It blends neatly into the churning, more vocal grizzle inclusive attack on false lovers, Can You Let Her Know.
Must You Get Low, shows that the old school indie bands are still the best at the pace chilling, slow-burning and stirring ballad, as this concept album that explores the importance of cities takes a bracing nostalgic pit-stop. A lively, digitally toed edge ups the tempo for Honey Pie, as Macintyres vocals take on a more dramatic, strained edge and increase in profile to match that of the instrumentals. It shows that eclectic adventure is still within them.
Of course, the lyrics still hold meaning, heart, reflection and food for thought. With the slow, stirring and nearly wooing backing spiced, This Is Not My Heart being a prime example of this:
Love letters of stone wont set alight: I am alone in your lie.
I was awake just thinking of you.
Usually when an evergreen, what some people would call veteran band reunites six plus years after their last album, it makes you question their motives and even desire. Are they doing it because all other avenues have led to a dead end? No, not in this case; Mull Historical Society still has something to say and some cities to explore.
- Fri 21st Sep 2018 Mull Historical SocietyPleasance Theatre (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Tue 29th May 2018 Clap Your Hands Say YeahBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Thu 26th Jul 2018 Anna BurchBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Thu 24th May 2018 Japanese BreakfastBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Thu 14th Jun 2018 The Magic NumbersBuy Tickets
- Tue 22nd May 2018 to Tue 29th May 2018 Peach PitBuy Tickets
- Tue 22nd May 2018 to Thu 31st May 2018 Naomi ScottBuy Tickets
- Wed 23rd May 2018 to Sun 27th May 2018 Moon KingBuy Tickets
- Thu 24th May 2018 Pale WavesHeaven (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 This is Tomorrow Festival, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Everyt...Spillers Wharf (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Thu 12th Jul 2018 Jack LukemanBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Sun 27th May 2018 Dot to Dot, The Horrors, Cassia, Marika Hackman, Pale Waves,...Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 All Points East, The xx, Lorde, Sampha, Popcaan, Lykke Li, R...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Neighbourhood Festival, The Courteeners, Jake Bugg, Kodaline...Victoria Park (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 to Fri 6th Jul 2018 Twisted WheelBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 World Island, Loyle Carner, Nightmares On Wax, Yellow Days, ...Globe Road (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Father John Misty, Edwyn Collins, Frightened Rabbit, Hookwor...Piece Hall (Halifax)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Neighbourhood Festival, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, ...Victoria Park (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Teleman, Benin City, The Rhythm MethodThe Lido (Margate)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Common People Southampton, The Jacksons, The New Power Gener...Southampton Common (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Tom Clarke, Joe Dolman, Billy BibbyThe Ironworks (Inverness)Buy Tickets
- Mon 28th May 2018 to Thu 31st May 2018 Tracyanne and DannyBuy Tickets
- Wed 30th May 2018 and Thu 31st May 2018 YungbludBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 Wychwood Festival, Baxter Dury, The Beat, Nina Nesbitt, Poke...Cheltenham Racecourse (Cheltenham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 APE Presents, Catfish and the Bottlemen, The Hunna, Blossoms...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 Field Day, Erykah Badu, Children of Zeus, The Comet is Comin...Brockwell Park (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Camden Rocks, Maximo Park, PiL, Twin Atlantic, Mallory Knox,...Various Camden Venues (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Tue 5th Jun 2018 to Sat 16th Jun 2018 Boy AzoogaBuy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jun 2018 Rose DivePaper Dress Vintage (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jun 2018 Billy Bragg, Nadine ShahWales Millennium Centre/ Donald Gordon Theatre/ Weston Studi... (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 BlossomsThe Invisible Wind Factory (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jun 2018 Parklife, The xx, N*E*R*D, A$AP Rocky, Bonobo, Eric Prydz, L...Heaton Park (Manchester)Buy Tickets