City Awakenings - Mull Historical Society Album Review
It's little more than a few notes into the chiming percussion and trotting guitar led instrumental to opener, 'Must You Make Eyes At Me Now'. That you realise how much this band, once voted twelfth greatest Scottish band of all time, have been missed during their lengthy hiatus. When the strained and genuine vocals of Colin Macintyre kick in, then a pondering stirring, blues layered intro, makes you just want to yell "welcome back guys!" at your IPod or choice of music playing medium. It blends neatly into the churning, more vocal grizzle inclusive attack on false lovers, 'Can You Let Her Know'.
'Must You Get Low', shows that the old school indie bands are still the best at the pace chilling, slow-burning and stirring ballad, as this concept album that explores the importance of cities takes a bracing nostalgic pit-stop. A lively, digitally toed edge ups the tempo for 'Honey Pie', as Macintyre's vocals take on a more dramatic, strained edge and increase in profile to match that of the instrumentals. It shows that eclectic adventure is still within them.
Of course, the lyrics still hold meaning, heart, reflection and food for thought. With the slow, stirring and nearly wooing backing spiced, 'This Is Not My Heart' being a prime example of this:
Love letters of stone won't set alight: I am alone in your lie.
I was awake just thinking of you.
Usually when an evergreen, what some people would call veteran band reunites six plus years after their last album, it makes you question their motives and even desire. Are they doing it because all other avenues have led to a dead end? No, not in this case; Mull Historical Society still has something to say and some cities to explore.
- Fri 2nd Dec 2016 Mull Historical SocietySt Pancras Old Church (Camden)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 28th Oct 2016 to Sat 21st Jan 2017 Bell X1Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Oct 2016 to Tue 8th Nov 2016 TelemanBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Oct 2016 and Sat 29th Oct 2016 Martha FfionBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Oct 2016 to Sun 13th Nov 2016 Bastille: Wild Wild WorldBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Oct 2016 to Thu 10th Nov 2016 Arc IrisBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Oct 2016 to Wed 14th Dec 2016 Youth ClubBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Oct 2016 and Sat 29th Oct 2016 AsylumsBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Oct 2016 to Thu 24th Nov 2016 Johnny ForeignerBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Oct 2016 to Mon 7th Nov 2016 The Japanese HouseBuy Tickets
- Mon 31st Oct 2016 and Tue 1st Nov 2016 Gemma Ray, Joe GideonBuy Tickets
- Wed 2nd Nov 2016 to Mon 7th Nov 2016 Christine and the QueensBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Nov 2016 to Tue 29th Nov 2016 Fickle FriendsBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th Nov 2016 The Lottery Winners, Roddy Radiation & The Skabilly Rebe...The Junction [J1/ J2/ J3] (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th Nov 2016 Trash KitThe Westhill Hall (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 9th Nov 2016 to Fri 11th Nov 2016 TibetBuy Tickets
- Thu 10th Nov 2016 to Fri 25th Nov 2016 David KittBuy Tickets
- Fri 11th Nov 2016 Twenty One PilotsAlexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Tue 15th Nov 2016 to Fri 16th Dec 2016 Dan OwenBuy Tickets
- Tue 15th Nov 2016 ALXNDRThe Nines (Peckham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 16th Nov 2016 to Thu 8th Dec 2016 HoneybloodBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th Nov 2016 The ViewThe Tunnels (Aberdeen)More Info..
- Wed 23rd Nov 2016 to Fri 2nd Dec 2016 JAWSBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Nov 2016 The Tea Street BandCamp and Furnace/ Blade Factory (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th Nov 2016 and Fri 27th Jan 2017 The HummingbirdsBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th Nov 2016 HorsebeachO2 Academy (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th Nov 2016 to Fri 2nd Dec 2016 HindsBuy Tickets
- Tue 29th Nov 2016 Laura DoggettThe Waiting Room (Stoke Newington)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th Nov 2016 Glen Hansard, Bronagh GallagherVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 30th Nov 2016 to Sat 11th Mar 2017 BlossomsBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st Dec 2016 Fickle Friends, HuntarHeaven (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Dec 2016 and Sun 4th Dec 2016 Los Campesinos!Buy Tickets