City Awakenings - Mull Historical Society Album Review
It's little more than a few notes into the chiming percussion and trotting guitar led instrumental to opener, 'Must You Make Eyes At Me Now'. That you realise how much this band, once voted twelfth greatest Scottish band of all time, have been missed during their lengthy hiatus. When the strained and genuine vocals of Colin Macintyre kick in, then a pondering stirring, blues layered intro, makes you just want to yell "welcome back guys!" at your IPod or choice of music playing medium. It blends neatly into the churning, more vocal grizzle inclusive attack on false lovers, 'Can You Let Her Know'.
'Must You Get Low', shows that the old school indie bands are still the best at the pace chilling, slow-burning and stirring ballad, as this concept album that explores the importance of cities takes a bracing nostalgic pit-stop. A lively, digitally toed edge ups the tempo for 'Honey Pie', as Macintyre's vocals take on a more dramatic, strained edge and increase in profile to match that of the instrumentals. It shows that eclectic adventure is still within them.
Of course, the lyrics still hold meaning, heart, reflection and food for thought. With the slow, stirring and nearly wooing backing spiced, 'This Is Not My Heart' being a prime example of this:
Love letters of stone won't set alight: I am alone in your lie.
I was awake just thinking of you.
Usually when an evergreen, what some people would call veteran band reunites six plus years after their last album, it makes you question their motives and even desire. Are they doing it because all other avenues have led to a dead end? No, not in this case; Mull Historical Society still has something to say and some cities to explore.
You may be interested in
- Sun 19th Feb 2017 Tegan and SaraVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sun 19th Feb 2017 to Fri 19th May 2017 The ViewBuy Tickets
- Mon 20th Feb 2017 to Sun 26th Feb 2017 TelemanBuy Tickets
- Wed 22nd Feb 2017 Youth ClubThe Camden Assembly (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 2nd Mar 2017 to Wed 15th Mar 2017 The Pigeon DetectivesBuy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Mar 2017 Medway Weekender: The Claim, Theatre Royal [band]100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 8th Mar 2017 to Sat 11th Mar 2017 BlossomsBuy Tickets
- Thu 9th Mar 2017 to Tue 21st Mar 2017 FathersonBuy Tickets
- Wed 15th Mar 2017 and Fri 17th Mar 2017 Tove LoBuy Tickets
- Wed 15th Mar 2017 Cold CaveO2 Academy (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 16th Mar 2017 to Sat 1st Apr 2017 NME Awards Tour, Blossoms, Cabbage, Rory WynneBuy Tickets
- Tue 21st Mar 2017 to Wed 24th May 2017 Declan McKennaBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th Mar 2017 to Tue 18th Apr 2017 HorsebeachBuy Tickets
- Thu 30th Mar 2017 Glass PeaksThe Prince Albert (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Apr 2017 to Wed 26th Apr 2017 Dan OwenBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Apr 2017 to Thu 13th Apr 2017 Rose Elinor DougallBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Apr 2017 to Fri 28th Apr 2017 The OriellesBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Apr 2017 to Wed 24th May 2017 Laetitia SadierBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Apr 2017 to Fri 21st Apr 2017 LisbonBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Apr 2017 to Fri 16th Jun 2017 HoneybloodBuy Tickets
- Sun 9th Apr 2017 to Thu 27th Apr 2017 Hafdis HuldBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Apr 2017 and Thu 13th Apr 2017 Dua LipaBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Apr 2017 Lisbon, Glass PeaksThe Rocking Chair (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Tue 25th Apr 2017 to Thu 27th Apr 2017 JAWSBuy Tickets
- Thu 27th Apr 2017 to Sun 7th May 2017 Los Campesinos!Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Apr 2017 Hit the North Festival, Slaves, Nothing But Thieves, Lethal ...Various Newcastle Venues (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th May 2017 to Sun 14th May 2017 Chris DuncanBuy Tickets
- Tue 9th May 2017 to Wed 17th May 2017 The Japanese HouseBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th May 2017 to Sat 20th May 2017 The Ordinary BoysBuy Tickets
- Tue 23rd May 2017 to Thu 25th May 2017 Andrew McMahonBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th May 2017 Admiral Fallow, Jon Boden, Martyn JosephIreby - Miscellaneous Venues (Cumbria)Buy Tickets