Transience - David Youngs Album Review
The PR-notes quote from the Cambridge Folk Club is actually an accurate summation of my initial reaction to this mans new album ....we met David.... we were knocked out... So was I, because Transience is pretty special.
Essentially, David Youngs is a picker and a plucker of guitars, in a similar vein to Pat Metheny and a strummer and stroker like Ralph Towner or John Abercrombie in short, Youngs can play with the best of them. Except that so far, he hasnt apart from a few select shows with Emily Barker and Miranda Sykes I think his time will come.
The album starts with a few pretty technical (and just plain pretty) tunes, including the standout The Greenery, which wouldnt go amiss soundtracking a stroll in the country or a TV programme about the great outdoors. Much of the album is derived from personal moments in Youngs life Technomantra was written in Thailand, In Sabina composed itself in Italy and Sun Spirit harks back to the humble days when he busked in London its a shame he still doesnt, some of the current buskers are bleedin awful.
I guess the only issue with the album is it is just Youngs, without any accompaniment, which of course is how it should be, but it would be fascinating to hear some minimal additional atmospherics on the closing Sea Shapes, maybe some distant waves washing over rocks or a lone violin somewhere in the mix. But, picky requests aside, Transience is beguiling for the most part, with only Technomantra bordering on hard-work (although technically sharp). For fans of acoustic instrumentals everywhere especially in a remote setting.
You may be interested in
- Sun 18th Mar 2018 to Wed 11th Apr 2018 Geoff AchisonBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Mar 2018 to Wed 6th Jun 2018 Martin CarthyBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Mar 2018 to Fri 28th Jun 2019 Martin SimpsonBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Mar 2018 Newton FaulknerOmeara (Southwark)More Info..
- Fri 20th Apr 2018 to Sat 18th Aug 2018 Gordon GiltrapBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 to Fri 25th May 2018 Brooks WilliamsBuy Tickets
- Sun 6th May 2018 Hans Theessink, Brooks WilliamsThe Crescent Community Centre (York)Buy Tickets
- Thu 17th May 2018 to Thu 24th May 2018 Tommy Emmanuel: The Intimate Sound TourBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th Jun 2018 Woody MannThe Greystones (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Mon 9th Jul 2018 to Tue 17th Jul 2018 James Taylor, Bonnie RaittBuy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Paul Simon, Ja...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 to Mon 17th Dec 2018 The War of The Worlds, Jason Donovan, Newton FaulknerBuy Tickets