Transience - David Youngs Album Review
The PR-notes quote from the Cambridge Folk Club is actually an accurate summation of my initial reaction to this man's new album – "....we met David.... we were knocked out..." So was I, because "Transience" is pretty special.
Essentially, David Youngs is a picker and a plucker of guitars, in a similar vein to Pat Metheny and a strummer and stroker like Ralph Towner or John Abercrombie – in short, Youngs can play with the best of them. Except that so far, he hasn't apart from a few select shows with Emily Barker and Miranda Sykes – I think his time will come.
The album starts with a few pretty technical (and just plain pretty) tunes, including the standout "The Greenery", which wouldn't go amiss soundtracking a stroll in the country or a TV programme about the great outdoors. Much of the album is derived from personal moments in Youngs' life – "Technomantra" was written in Thailand, "In Sabina" composed itself in Italy and "Sun Spirit" harks back to the humble days when he busked in London – it's a shame he still doesn't, some of the current buskers are bleedin' awful.
I guess the only issue with the album is it is just Youngs, without any accompaniment, which of course is how it should be, but it would be fascinating to hear some minimal additional atmospherics on the closing "Sea Shapes", maybe some distant waves washing over rocks or a lone violin somewhere in the mix. But, picky requests aside, "Transience" is beguiling for the most part, with only "Technomantra" bordering on hard-work (although technically sharp). For fans of acoustic instrumentals everywhere – especially in a remote setting.
You may be interested in
- Wed 20th Sep 2017 Jon GommSub89 (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Sep 2017 Brooks Williams, Boo HewerdineWest End Centre (Aldershot)Buy Tickets
- Sun 24th Sep 2017 and Mon 11th Dec 2017 Martin CarthyBuy Tickets
- Mon 2nd Oct 2017 to Sun 8th Oct 2017 Andy McKeeBuy Tickets
- Thu 5th Oct 2017 Jon Gomm, Stuart RyanThe HiFi Club (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Thu 5th Oct 2017 and Wed 14th Feb 2018 Tony McManusBuy Tickets
- Thu 12th Oct 2017 and Wed 18th Oct 2017 Pierre BensusanBuy Tickets
- Thu 12th Oct 2017 to Sat 28th Oct 2017 Ralph McTellBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Oct 2017 and Sat 28th Apr 2018 Brooks WilliamsBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Oct 2017 to Fri 1st Dec 2017 Newton FaulknerBuy Tickets
- Tue 17th Oct 2017 to Fri 23rd Mar 2018 Martin SimpsonBuy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Oct 2017 Richard SmithGreen Note (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Nov 2017 Benny GallagherBackstage at the Green Hotel (Kinross)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Nov 2017 Mike DawesFairkytes Arts Centre (Romford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 Gordon GiltrapEmmbrook Sports & Social Club (Wokingham)Buy Tickets