Maverick Producer Genius and Musician - Martin Hannett Album Review
Anyone remotely interested in sound-engineering or music-production, be it contemporary or classical, should be familiar with the North Wests answer to Joe Meek, Martin Hannett. During his short life (he was just 42 when he suffered heart failure at the hands of booze and self-destructive drug-habits), the producer arguably shaped the sound of Manchester and, some may argue, the British music scene. Whilst I cannot disagree with how important Hannett was and still is, it was to be another 15 years after his death before the wave of Editors-clones truly paid homage to the wizardry of Martin Zero.
Maverick...... is archived sweat and tears, pulled together from years of sound-desk out-takes and by curator and researcher, Chris Hewitt and son Tom, founders of Ozit Morpheus Records, the label behind this double-disc package. As with the previously issued Personal Mixes Joy Division, the recordings here are rough, intimate and bordering on geek-like completism at once engaging and frustrating, there is nothing in the way of finished music on these CDs, just experimental passages featuring himself or with selected Factory acts and pre-Rabid arrangements with a brace of local artists including Belt and Braces (twee folk-rock), Pete Farrow (rather engaging singer and songwriter in the Ray Davies mould) and George Borowski (gutsy commentary and strummed guitars). Completists should form a queue here, although there is little evidence of Hannetts future obsession with modulators, delays, effects and ARP synths, or the infamous smash-snare sound that propelled later work.
Of particular interest to Factory aficionados are the brief chunks of reworkings of Durutti Column's Self Portrait (given a powerful syndrum overhaul), The Names Calcutta (excerpts of more syndrum noodlings and synth hook-line tinkering) and his own The Music Room and First and Second Aspect of the Same Thing flexi tracks, the latter already available in more-polished form on the From Brussels With Love and Return of the Durutti Column reissues. It might have been nice to see the bands name-checked in the sleevenotes or tracklisting, but I guess its cheaper not to. Martin Plays Bass is exactly what it says and offers up the only fully unreleased solo Hannett ephemera of the man busying himself with a bass-guitar and a tribal drum-track you wonder where he went with this idea, its rather engaging.
Whilst the sound-quality on these discs is questionable, you have to remember that much of this is in excess of 30 years old and produced at a time when Trevor Horn (Hannetts closest rival) was eyeing up his next piece of technology for his band The Buggles, only to beat Hannett to the ultimate studio toy a few years later the coveted Fairlight. If youve already become familiar with the likes of the sonically-superior works of Joy Division, Section 25, The Names, Happy Mondays Bummed and early New Order and want to explore the bottomless barrel of a genius at work, Maverick... is for you. The hiss is essential.
You may be interested in
- Tue 20th Mar 2018 to Fri 23rd Mar 2018 Lily AllenBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Mar 2018 to Thu 27th Sep 2018 John Cooper ClarkeBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Mar 2018 and Fri 23rd Mar 2018 Reverend and the MakersBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Mar 2018 xPROPAGANDA: Claudia Brücken, Susanne Freytag - A Secret WishThe Garage/ Thousand Island (Highbury)More Info..
- Sat 24th Mar 2018 to Fri 27th Jul 2018 The Sex Pissed DollsBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Mar 2018 to Sat 30th Jun 2018 A Certain RatioBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Mar 2018 to Fri 30th Mar 2018 Amy RigbyBuy Tickets
- Thu 29th Mar 2018 to Sat 31st Mar 2018 BlackWatersBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Mar 2018 to Sat 16th Jun 2018 Transmission [The Sound of Joy Division]Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Mar 2018 U2 2, Viva La ColdplayLongfield Live (Greater Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Mon 2nd Apr 2018 and Sat 7th Apr 2018 Section 25Buy Tickets
- Tue 3rd Apr 2018 to Thu 3rd May 2018 Shonen KnifeBuy Tickets
- Wed 11th Apr 2018 and Thu 12th Apr 2018 New Dawn FadesMore Info..
- Sat 21st Apr 2018 and Fri 21st Sep 2018 True OrderBuy Tickets
- Mon 23rd Apr 2018 to Sat 29th Sep 2018 Peter Hook: Technique and RepublicBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Apr 2018 to Sun 6th May 2018 BuzzcocksBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Apr 2018 and Sun 29th Apr 2018 Blue OrchidsBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 Scotland Calling, Buzzcocks, Cockney Rejects, Angelic Upstar...O2 ABC (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 and Fri 7th Sep 2018 U2 2Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th May 2018 Peter PerrettIslington Assembly Hall [Town Hall] (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th May 2018 Venetian Snares, Daniel LanoisVillage Underground (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Thu 10th May 2018 A Place To Bury StrangersThe Garage/ Thousand Island (Highbury)Buy Tickets
- Thu 10th May 2018 Nathan Moore, Owen Paul, Electro 80s, Fundraising EventPyramid/ Parr Hall (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th May 2018 The DistractionsThe Lantern (Halifax)Buy Tickets
- Wed 16th May 2018 to Fri 25th May 2018 James, Lanterns on the Lake: Better Than ThatOn SaleFri 23rd Marat 10am
- Sat 19th May 2018 Andrew WeatherallThe Golden Lion - Todmorden (Calderdale)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th May 2018 Summer Nights at the Bandstand, Tokio MyersO2 ABC (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th May 2018 Happy MondaysDoncaster Racecourse (Doncaster)On SaleWed 21st Marat 10am
- Tue 22nd May 2018 Dave Haslam: Sonic Youth Slept on My FloorGorilla (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 23rd May 2018 Luke WrightOld Fire Station (Carlisle)Buy Tickets
- Thu 24th May 2018 Bearded Theory Festival, Reverend and the Makers, The Whip, ...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets