Maverick Producer Genius and Musician - Martin Hannett Album Review
Anyone remotely interested in sound-engineering or music-production, be it contemporary or classical, should be familiar with the North West's answer to Joe Meek, Martin Hannett. During his short life (he was just 42 when he suffered heart failure at the hands of booze and self-destructive drug-habits), the producer arguably shaped the sound of Manchester and, some may argue, the British music scene. Whilst I cannot disagree with how important Hannett was and still is, it was to be another 15 years after his death before the wave of Editors-clones truly paid homage to the wizardry of Martin 'Zero'.
"Maverick......" is archived sweat and tears, pulled together from years of sound-desk out-takes and by curator and researcher, Chris Hewitt and son Tom, founders of Ozit Morpheus Records, the label behind this double-disc package. As with the previously issued "Personal Mixes – Joy Division", the recordings here are rough, intimate and bordering on geek-like completism – at once engaging and frustrating, there is nothing in the way of finished music on these CDs, just experimental passages featuring himself or with selected Factory acts and pre-Rabid arrangements with a brace of local artists including Belt and Braces (twee folk-rock), Pete Farrow (rather engaging singer and songwriter in the Ray Davies mould) and George Borowski (gutsy commentary and strummed guitars). Completists should form a queue here, although there is little evidence of Hannett's future obsession with modulators, delays, effects and ARP synths, or the infamous 'smash-snare' sound that propelled later work.
Of particular interest to Factory aficionados are the brief chunks of reworkings of Durutti Column's "Self Portrait" (given a powerful syndrum overhaul), The Names' "Calcutta" (excerpts of more syndrum noodlings and synth hook-line tinkering) and his own "The Music Room" and "First and Second Aspect of the Same Thing" flexi tracks, the latter already available in more-polished form on the "From Brussels With Love" and "Return of the Durutti Column" reissues. It might have been nice to see the band's name-checked in the sleevenotes or tracklisting, but I guess it's cheaper not to. "Martin Plays Bass" is exactly what it says and offers up the only fully unreleased solo Hannett ephemera of the man busying himself with a bass-guitar and a tribal drum-track – you wonder where he went with this idea, it's rather engaging.
Whilst the sound-quality on these discs is questionable, you have to remember that much of this is in excess of 30 years old and produced at a time when Trevor Horn (Hannett's closest rival) was eyeing up his next piece of technology for his band The Buggles, only to beat Hannett to the ultimate studio toy a few years later – the coveted Fairlight. If you've already become familiar with the likes of the sonically-superior works of Joy Division, Section 25, The Names, Happy Mondays' "Bummed" and early New Order and want to explore the bottomless barrel of a genius at work, "Maverick..." is for you. The hiss is essential.
You may be interested in
- Wed 20th Sep 2017 to Sat 27th Jan 2018 Martin StephensonBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Sep 2017 to Thu 8th Feb 2018 John Cooper ClarkeBuy Tickets
- Fri 29th Sep 2017 U2UKThe Flowerpot (Derby)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Sep 2017 David HolmesThe Golden Lion - Todmorden (Calderdale)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Oct 2017 to Sun 15th Oct 2017 This Feeling, The Shimmer Band, The Blinders, Bang Bang Rome...: AliveBuy Tickets
- Mon 2nd Oct 2017 to Sat 7th Oct 2017 The DrumsBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th Oct 2017 Paul OakenfoldThe Ironworks (Inverness)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Oct 2017 to Sat 23rd Dec 2017 Happy MondaysBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th Oct 2017 Andrew Weatherall: B2B Ivan SmaggheGorilla (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 12th Oct 2017 and Sat 14th Oct 2017 Tower of Power, Stone FoundationBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Oct 2017 Tower of PowerO2 Academy (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Oct 2017 to Sat 4th Nov 2017 Reverend and the MakersBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Oct 2017 Cream 25th Birthday: Cream [club], Paul Oakenfold, Seb Fontaine, Anthony ProbynO2 Academy 1 & 2 (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Oct 2017 Terry FarleyThe Holroyd Arms (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 15th Oct 2017 Tower of Power, CymandeRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 19th Oct 2017 BuzzcocksO2 Ritz (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 19th Oct 2017 BBC Children In Need Rocks, Bananarama, OMD, Boy George, Era...Wembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Oct 2017 The Record Factory - Glasgow, Mike Joyce: The Phantoms / The Jackobins / Victoria's FlightThe Record Factory (Glasgow)More Info..
- Sat 21st Oct 2017 to Sat 18th Nov 2017 PenetrationBuy Tickets
- Mon 23rd Oct 2017 to Wed 22nd Nov 2017 OMD: The Punishment Of LuxuryBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Oct 2017 to Sat 3rd Mar 2018 U2 2Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Oct 2017 Penetration, The MembersThe Bierkeller (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Mon 30th Oct 2017 to Tue 7th Nov 2017 Peter PerrettBuy Tickets
- Sat 4th Nov 2017 Space MonkeysManchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Mon 6th Nov 2017 to Tue 28th Nov 2017 The KillersBuy Tickets
- Tue 7th Nov 2017 Shaun RyderEpic Centre (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 10th Nov 2017 to Mon 13th Nov 2017 Shiiine On WeekenderBuy Tickets
- Fri 10th Nov 2017 True OrderThe Venue (Derby)Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th Nov 2017 to Mon 18th Dec 2017 Peter Hook: Unknown Pleasures and CloserBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Dec 2017 Transmission [The Sound of Joy Division]The Portland Arms (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th Dec 2017 James HoldenIslington Assembly Hall [Town Hall] (Islington)Buy Tickets