Arctic - I'm Kingfisher Album Review
Im Kingfisher is the Swedish solo underground indie folk artist, Thomas Denver Jonsson. Im not at all familiar with him or his work, but Im told this is album number four. He is definitely in the folk bracket, Im hearing a lot of early Neil Young dialogue and twang myself.
The album has a number of atmospheric periods, predominantly acoustic guitars. Above all, it has powerful vocals, distinctive and eerie in parts, which are at their most prominent on Nansen, and I really love the acoustic build up on Deer Theatre.
However by far my two stand out moments are Peacock Colour Song and Feline Funeral, which have a drunken sounding brass section. They obviously are not drunk, well at least I dont know otherwise, but the sound is immense and is the perfect backdrop for both tracks.
On A Continent Lost Jonsson sings a lovely duet with an unnamed female with a Mumford and Sons passion and swagger.
Its a peaceful and once again inoffensive album maybe a bit slow at times for me but a nice one to add to the collection. To be honest it passed me by the first three or four plays but it most certainly adds up after a few listens. As for the list of Swedish imports on the music front, the list continues to grow.
You may be interested in
- Sat 28th Jul 2018 Standon Calling, George Ezra, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, M...Standon (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Wed 1st Aug 2018 Summer Nights at the Bandstand, First Aid KitKelvingrove Park (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Aug 2018 All Together Now, Fleet FoxesCurraghmore House (Waterford)Buy Tickets
- Tue 7th Aug 2018 Summer Nights at the Bandstand, Fleet FoxesKelvingrove Park (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 11th Aug 2018 Sziget Festival, Mumford and Sons, Bastille, Lianne La Havas...Obudai Island - Budapest (Hungary)Buy Tickets
- Sun 12th Aug 2018 Sons of the EastO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Tue 14th Aug 2018 Jenny LewisKOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 16th Aug 2018 to Wed 22nd Aug 2018 Wye OakBuy Tickets
- Fri 17th Aug 2018 Rize Festival, Liam Gallagher, James Bay, Craig David, Plan ...Hylands Park (Chelmsford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 Rize Festival, Stereophonics, Bastille, Years and Years, Rag...Hylands Park (Chelmsford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 19th Aug 2018 to Tue 21st Aug 2018 Phoebe BridgersBuy Tickets
- Mon 20th Aug 2018 to Sun 9th Dec 2018 Courtney Marie AndrewsBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Band of Holy JoyLe Pub (Newport)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th Aug 2018 This Must Be The Place: Hiss Golden Messenger, Lucy Dacus, Tiny Ruins, Erin RaeBelgrave Music Hall (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Mon 27th Aug 2018 and Wed 29th Aug 2018 Hiss Golden MessengerBuy Tickets
- Wed 29th Aug 2018 to Sun 9th Sep 2018 PassengerBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 Moseley Folk Festival, Levellers, Show of Hands, Skinny List...Moseley Park (Moseley)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 to Sun 23rd Sep 2018 José González, Jesca HoopBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Sep 2018 and Tue 25th Sep 2018 The Tallest Man on EarthBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Sep 2018 to Wed 26th Sep 2018 Michael NauBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Sep 2018 to Mon 1st Oct 2018 Horse FeathersBuy Tickets
- Sun 30th Sep 2018 to Sat 13th Oct 2018 Joshua Radin, William FitzsimmonsBuy Tickets
- Tue 2nd Oct 2018 Charles WatsonThe Lexington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Oct 2018 to Sat 13th Oct 2018 Okkervil RiverBuy Tickets
- Tue 9th Oct 2018 to Sat 13th Oct 2018 Phum ViphuritBuy Tickets
- Wed 10th Oct 2018 to Tue 23rd Oct 2018 Tom WalkerBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 to Wed 17th Oct 2018 Dawn LandesBuy Tickets
- Tue 16th Oct 2018 to Fri 19th Oct 2018 Laura VeirsBuy Tickets
- Wed 17th Oct 2018 to Wed 31st Oct 2018 Villagers: The Art of Pretending to SwimBuy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Oct 2018 to Thu 8th Nov 2018 First Aid Kit, The Staves: Rebel Heart TourBuy Tickets
- Thu 25th Oct 2018 to Mon 29th Oct 2018 Lord HuronBuy Tickets