Stay + Live Review @ The Dalston Victoria (Dalston) - 30 Jun 2011
Who are Stay+ ? Well, they were, until a couple of weeks ago, known as Christian AIDS until forced by the charity known as Christian Aid into a change of name. And they hail from Manchester. Much more than that youll be hard pressed to find. Even as to who the collective is made up of is shrouded in mystery, although rumours of DJ Matt Kid Farthings (formerly of Run Toto Run, the Manc electro-pop trio) involvement appears to be the case. But even after their debut London appearance tonight, one is not much wiser.
But whether they are called Christian AIDS or Stay+ (or simply Stay, or even Stay Positive, which have also been variously used - nothing like a good puzzle), they also happen to be bloody good. And if you think that two blokes sampling techno drum beats for 45 minutes may border on the boring (unless on copious amounts of ecstasy), you would be very wrong.
Likened to Crystal Castles, their stage presence is no less than a sensory exploration of sound and visuals that incorporates film video images (such as their terrorist attack take of the royal wedding that accompanies Young Luv) as a three screen backdrop to a motionless choir troupe of four people who stand front of stage for the duration - each bearing black tees that spell out S-T-A-Y - and a male and female vocalist providing alternate vocals. The latter excels on Fever; her haunting tone on the repeated feverfever cutting right to the bones of you, before the song crashes into a electro jangle of clashing soundwaves. Mr Vocal, meanwhile, who has begun the night standing in the front row filming the crowd, then took to the stage at various points - including Young Luv to provide a deeper resonance; culminating with their Stay Positive signature track, most of which is conducted whilst he mingles on the floor amidst the punters, urging them to follow your dreams. The rapt applause at the end of this, the last of their set. Justified what had been a show of enigmatic, brooding class.
Stay+ are not so much a band, more a live performance art installation. This was not so much a mere gig, as an experience. And one not to be missed whenever they should head your way.
You may be interested in
- Thu 26th Jul 2018 and Thu 23rd Aug 2018 Ibiza Rocks, Rudimental: Rudimental & FriendsBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Jul 2018 Standon Calling, Paloma Faith, Django Django, The Amazons, M...Standon (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Jul 2018 Camp Bestival, Clean BanditLulworth Castle (Dorset)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th Jul 2018 Catfish and the Bottlemen, The Libertines, Run DMC, Hacienda...Lowther Deer Park - Lowther Castle (Penrith)Buy Tickets
- Thu 2nd Aug 2018 Ibiza Rocks, Rudimental, J Hus: Rudimental & FriendsIbiza Rocks Hotel (San Antonio)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Aug 2018 Jess Glynne, Basement Jaxx - DJ Set, Hannah Jane LewisBedford Park (Bedford)Buy Tickets
- Wed 8th Aug 2018 Sziget Festival, Kendrick Lamar, Lykke Li, Stormzy, Clean Ba...Obudai Island - Budapest (Hungary)Buy Tickets
- Thu 9th Aug 2018 Ibiza Rocks, Rudimental, High Contrast, DJ Target: Rudimental & FriendsIbiza Rocks Hotel (San Antonio)Buy Tickets
- Tue 14th Aug 2018 Sziget Festival, Arctic Monkeys, The War On Drugs, Zara Lars...Obudai Island - Budapest (Hungary)Buy Tickets
- Thu 16th Aug 2018 Ibiza Rocks, Rudimental, Mist, James Arthur: Rudimental & FriendsIbiza Rocks Hotel (San Antonio)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 to Sat 27th Oct 2018 RudimentalBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Leeds Festival, Kings Of Leon, The Courteeners, Skepta, The ...Bramham Park (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th Aug 2018 Reading Festival, Kings Of Leon, The Courteeners, Skepta, Th...Little John's Farm (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Tue 28th Aug 2018 AJRElectric Ballroom (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th Aug 2018 Ibiza Rocks, Rudimental, Raye, Heartless Crew: Rudimental & FriendsIbiza Rocks Hotel (San Antonio)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Sep 2018 Sundown Festival, Clean BanditNorfolk Showground (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Gorgon City, Hannah Wants, Amine Edge & Dance, Low Stepp...North Pier (Blackpool)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 to Wed 24th Oct 2018 Rudimental, Ray BLKBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 to Sun 2nd Dec 2018 Jess Glynne: Always In BetweenBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 My Nu LengThe Assembly (Leamington Spa)Buy Tickets