Stay + Live Review @ The Victoria (Dalston) (London) - 30 Jun 2011
Who are Stay+ ? Well, they were, until a couple of weeks ago, known as Christian AIDS until forced by the charity known as Christian Aid into a change of name. And they hail from Manchester. Much more than that you'll be hard pressed to find. Even as to who the collective is made up of is shrouded in mystery, although rumours of DJ Matt 'Kid' Farthing's (formerly of Run Toto Run, the Manc electro-pop trio) involvement appears to be the case. But even after their debut London appearance tonight, one is not much wiser.
But whether they are called Christian AIDS or Stay+ (or simply Stay, or even Stay Positive, which have also been variously used - nothing like a good puzzle), they also happen to be bloody good. And if you think that two blokes sampling techno drum beats for 45 minutes may border on the boring (unless on copious amounts of ecstasy), you would be very wrong.
Likened to Crystal Castles, their stage presence is no less than a sensory exploration of sound and visuals that incorporates film video images (such as their 'terrorist attack' take of the royal wedding that accompanies 'Young Luv') as a three screen backdrop to a 'motionless choir' troupe of four people who stand front of stage for the duration - each bearing black tees that spell out 'S-T-A-Y' - and a male and female vocalist providing alternate vocals. The latter excels on 'Fever'; her haunting tone on the repeated 'fever…fever' cutting right to the bones of you, before the song crashes into a electro jangle of clashing soundwaves. Mr Vocal, meanwhile, who has begun the night standing in the front row filming the crowd, then took to the stage at various points - including 'Young Luv' – to provide a deeper resonance; culminating with their 'Stay Positive' signature track, most of which is conducted whilst he mingles on the floor amidst the punters, urging them to 'follow your dreams'. The rapt applause at the end of this, the last of their set. Justified what had been a show of enigmatic, brooding class.
Stay+ are not so much a band, more a live performance art installation. This was not so much a mere gig, as an experience. And one not to be missed whenever they should head your way.
You may be interested in
- Sat 1st Jul 2017 to Sat 26th Aug 2017 Jess GlynneBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jul 2017 Amine Edge & Dance, DJ Redlight, Gorgon CityHastings Pier (Hastings)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jul 2017 Tunes in the Dunes, Clean BanditPerranporth Beach (Cornwall)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jul 2017 RudimentalDoncaster Racecourse (Doncaster)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Jul 2017 Clean BanditThetford Forest (Suffolk)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jul 2017 NASS Festival, Pendulum, Sigma, Krept & Konan, Gentleman...Royal Bath and West Showground (Somerset)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jul 2017 Lovebox, Chase and Status, Jess Glynne, Annie Mac, Kano, DJ ...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Tue 25th Jul 2017 Clean Bandit, Ibiza RocksIbiza Rocks Hotel (San Antonio)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Jul 2017 Y Not Festival, The Vaccines, Clean Bandit, Nothing But Thie...Mouldridge Lane (Matlock)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Jul 2017 Standon Calling, Clean BanditStandon (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th Aug 2017 Belfast Vital, TiÃ«sto, Clean Bandit, Sigala, D...Boucher Playing Fields (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Sep 2017 Wiley, Dizzee Rascal, Chase and Status, Wilkinson, Gorgon Ci...Powderham Castle (Exeter)Buy Tickets
- Thu 26th Oct 2017 Leo StannardScala (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Sun 19th Nov 2017 and Sun 26th Nov 2017 DJ EZ, Lethal Bizzle, Disciples, Hannah Wants, Danny Howard,...: TWSTD 2Buy Tickets