Stay + Live Review @ The Dalston Victoria (Dalston) - 30 Jun 2011
Who are Stay+ ? Well, they were, until a couple of weeks ago, known as Christian AIDS until forced by the charity known as Christian Aid into a change of name. And they hail from Manchester. Much more than that youll be hard pressed to find. Even as to who the collective is made up of is shrouded in mystery, although rumours of DJ Matt Kid Farthings (formerly of Run Toto Run, the Manc electro-pop trio) involvement appears to be the case. But even after their debut London appearance tonight, one is not much wiser.
But whether they are called Christian AIDS or Stay+ (or simply Stay, or even Stay Positive, which have also been variously used - nothing like a good puzzle), they also happen to be bloody good. And if you think that two blokes sampling techno drum beats for 45 minutes may border on the boring (unless on copious amounts of ecstasy), you would be very wrong.
Likened to Crystal Castles, their stage presence is no less than a sensory exploration of sound and visuals that incorporates film video images (such as their terrorist attack take of the royal wedding that accompanies Young Luv) as a three screen backdrop to a motionless choir troupe of four people who stand front of stage for the duration - each bearing black tees that spell out S-T-A-Y - and a male and female vocalist providing alternate vocals. The latter excels on Fever; her haunting tone on the repeated feverfever cutting right to the bones of you, before the song crashes into a electro jangle of clashing soundwaves. Mr Vocal, meanwhile, who has begun the night standing in the front row filming the crowd, then took to the stage at various points - including Young Luv to provide a deeper resonance; culminating with their Stay Positive signature track, most of which is conducted whilst he mingles on the floor amidst the punters, urging them to follow your dreams. The rapt applause at the end of this, the last of their set. Justified what had been a show of enigmatic, brooding class.
Stay+ are not so much a band, more a live performance art installation. This was not so much a mere gig, as an experience. And one not to be missed whenever they should head your way.
You may be interested in
- Wed 22nd May 2019 to Sat 31st Aug 2019 Jess GlynneBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2019 My Nu LengThe Welly Club (Hull)Buy Tickets
- Mon 27th May 2019 to Sat 15th Jun 2019 Spice Girls, Jess Glynne: Spice WorldBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2019 The Bath Festival, Clean BanditThe Recreation Ground (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2019 DJ EZ, Gorgon CityThe Arena (Digbeth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2019 Andy C, Bugzy Malone, David Rodigan, DJ EZ, DJ Seinfeld, Har...Colwick Hall/ Park (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2019 Capital FM Summertime Ball, Mark Ronson, 5 Seconds of Summer...Wembley Stadium (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Jun 2019 Isle of Wight Festival, Biffy Clyro, Richard Ashcroft, Jess ...Seaclose Park (Newport [Isle of Wight])Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2019 to Fri 5th Jul 2019 Forest Live, Jess GlynneBuy Tickets
- Thu 4th Jul 2019 to Thu 29th Aug 2019 RudimentalBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Jul 2019 Live in the Wyldes, Jess GlynneThe Wyldes (Bude)Buy Tickets
- Wed 10th Jul 2019 Kew the Music, Jess GlynneKew Gardens (Richmond upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Sun 14th Jul 2019 TRNSMT, George Ezra, Snow Patrol, Jess Glynne, The Kooks, Th...Glasgow Green (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sun 14th Jul 2019 Evoke Festival, Clean Bandit, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Carol Dec...Brentwood Centre (Brentwood)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Jul 2019 MADE Birmingham, Andy C, Hardy Caprio, Holy Goof, Lethal Biz...Perry Park (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Aug 2019 Derby Sound: Rudimental, Rita Ora, The Vamps, Rak-SuThe Pattonair County Ground (Derby)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Aug 2019 Jess Glynne, The Jockey Club LiveSandown Park Racecourse (Surrey)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Aug 2019 Boardmasters Festival, Florence and the Machine, Dizzee Rasc...Watergate Bay (Newquay)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Aug 2019 The Big Feastival, Jess Glynne, The Zutons, The Cuban Brothe...Churchill Heath Farm (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Aug 2019 Victorious Festival, Rudimental, Bloc Party, James Bay, Ocea...Southsea Seafront (Southsea)More Info..
- Sun 25th Aug 2019 South West Four, Chase and Status, Plan B, Andy C, DJ Hype, ...Clapham Common (London)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Aug 2019 Victorious Festival, New Order, Clean Bandit, Plan B, The Va...Southsea Seafront (Southsea)More Info..
- Sat 31st Aug 2019 Fusion Festival, Rudimental, Dizzee Rascal, John Newman, Jon...Sefton Park (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Sep 2019 Fusion Festival, Little Mix, Anne-Marie, Clean Bandit, Rak-S...Sefton Park (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Sep 2019 Pub in the Park, Clean Bandit, Stereo MCs: Evening SessionChiswick House (Chiswick)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 ElderbrookEartH [Hackney Arts Centre] (Stoke Newington)Buy Tickets
- Tue 10th Dec 2019 to Sat 14th Dec 2019 AJRBuy Tickets