Sing It Loud ft. The Siss Boom Bang - k.d. lang Album Review
Never mind Rumer and Adele, excellent crooners and yelpers they may be, but Lang is the real deal, no question. Sing It Loud ends a drought of band involvement which previously ended with the early trio of exploratory country albums in the late 80s, all recorded with The Reclines. After racking up a string of hit solo albums, initially sparked by the Grammy-supplying Ingenue in 1992, Langs star has burnt oh so very brightly, strengthened by the 2008 set Watershed, a Top 40 album in the UK. This album heralds her first return in 20 years with a backing band, not that youd notice much of a difference.
Strangely, this albums cover, featuring Lang bellowing into a conical megaphone and featuring splatter-fonts of Sing It Loud, is grossly misleading. I was expecting the Canadian singer to go all rock and roll on our asses instead, this is the pure classic balladeering and vocalising weve come to expect from Lang and for the most part, its as sumptuous and addictive as gooey chocolate mousse.
I Confess is the lead track and the first single, one of a few co-written with band-members Daniel Clarke and Joshua Grange and as strong a track as you could wish for, although possibly not the strongest tune on the album. That award goes to the spine-tingling Perfect Word, carelessly offered as a free download on her website dur, hello! This song is good enough to halt traffic and unite war-zones in my humble stupidity, so quite why youd fling it for free is beyond me.
But, there is also the title track which, despite the incessant repetition of its title in the chorus, is as worthy as anything on Ingenue, while Inglewood is a plaintive and reflective Americana hymn, dressed up with pedal-steel guitar and a graceful, almost gospel, refrain. In fact, much of this 10-song selection feels like a back-to-basics approach, lightly seasoned with to-die-for arrangements, with few failures.
Im slightly undecided about the song Heaven or, more to the point, the cover of it. As a Talking Heads song, extracted from their triumphant Fear Of Music album, its a mildly typical Byrne-esque dream-piece of what the world up-above might be like. Lang has slowed it down to a mercurial and funereal pace, beautifully sung and exquisitely scored, yet I want it to be a bit more celestial, more flamboyant and I guess that is where this entire album occasionally falls down.
Sing It Loud doesnt leap out of the speakers, it doesnt fire up the mirrorball and it doesnt quite have the blissful and shimmering hedonism of her previous solo works, but it does ooze the typical languid Lang shang-a-lang and deft arrangements that weve all become used to. Not a triumphant return, but an absorbing one.
You may be interested in
- Sat 24th Mar 2018 to Fri 9th Nov 2018 Nathan CarterBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Mar 2018 to Mon 25th Jun 2018 Beth Nielsen ChapmanBuy Tickets
- Sun 8th Apr 2018 to Mon 23rd Apr 2018 Nerina Pallot, Cattle and CaneBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th May 2018 to Sat 25th Aug 2018 The ShiresBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 to Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Taylor SwiftBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 to Thu 28th Jun 2018 Elvis CostelloBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 Elvis Costello, Nocturne LiveBlenheim Palace (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 to Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Sheryl CrowBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 Love Supreme Festival, Elvis Costello, Mr Jukes, Songhoy Blu...Glynde Place (Lewes)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Jul 2018 Nathan Carter, Live at the MarqueeMarquee (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 Sounds of the City, Paul Heaton, Jacqui Abbott, Elvis Costel...Castlefield Bowl (Castlefield)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Eric Clapton, ...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Sep 2018 to Sat 8th Sep 2018 Barry ManilowBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Sep 2018 to Wed 3rd Oct 2018 Shania TwainBuy Tickets
- Thu 27th Sep 2018 to Sat 20th Oct 2018 Cliff Richard: 60th Anniversary TourBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Tony Hadley, ABC, Bonnie Tyler, Chesney Hawkes, Black LaceRicoh Arena / Ericsson Arena (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2019 and Thu 13th Jun 2019 Elton John: Farewell TourBuy Tickets