Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; 'The Kinks', 'Kinda Kinks' and 'The Kink Kontroversey' out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts I'm sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On 'The Kink Kontroversy' you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyone's idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. 'Kinda Kinks' was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
'The Kinks' is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Fri 29th Jul 2016 to Sat 11th Mar 2017 Sunny AfternoonBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jul 2016 to Thu 30th Mar 2017 The SearchersBuy Tickets
- Thu 4th Aug 2016 to Tue 29th Nov 2016 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Aug 2016 to Thu 12th Jan 2017 Chicago Blues BrothersBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th Aug 2016 Lakefest, Primal Scream, We Are Scientists, Molotov Jukebox,...Eastnor Castle (Herefordshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Aug 2016 The Animals and FriendsThe Venue (Derby)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Aug 2016 and Fri 28th Jul 2017 The LambrettasBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Aug 2016 and Sat 15th Apr 2017 The Counterfeit SixtiesBuy Tickets
- Thu 25th Aug 2016 to Thu 12th Jan 2017 The Pretty ThingsBuy Tickets
- Sat 27th Aug 2016 to Sat 19th Nov 2016 The SpitfiresBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Sep 2016 The Chords100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Sep 2016 and Sun 12th Feb 2017 Raymond FroggattBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Sep 2016 to Sat 25th Mar 2017 Nine Below ZeroBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Sep 2016 The MerseybeatsCavern (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Sep 2016 Big Boss ManGwdihw Cafe Bar (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Sep 2016 and Sun 16th Oct 2016 The Three DegreesBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Sep 2016 CameraShacklewell Arms (Stoke Newington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Sep 2016 to Sat 10th Dec 2016 Secret AffairBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Oct 2016 to Sat 19th Nov 2016 The HolliesBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Oct 2016 to Fri 3rd Mar 2017 Sensational 60s ExperienceBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Oct 2016 Fay Hallam100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Oct 2016 The Downliners SectThe Cabbage Patch/ Eel Pie Club (Twickenham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Oct 2016 to Sun 30th Oct 2016 The Four TopsBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Oct 2016 to Fri 3rd Mar 2017 Kast Off KinksBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Oct 2016 and Sat 29th Oct 2016 Sixties GoldBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Oct 2016 and Mon 5th Dec 2016 Henry PriestmanBuy Tickets
- Thu 27th Oct 2016 The Four Tops, The Temptations, TavaresThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Oct 2016 and Fri 10th Feb 2017 Colin BlunstoneBuy Tickets
- Sun 30th Oct 2016 BluesFest, Van Morrison, Jeff BeckThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Tue 1st Nov 2016 Sixties Gold, Gerry and The Pacemakers, The Searchers, P.J P...The Bridgewater Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Tue 1st Nov 2016 to Wed 9th Nov 2016 The ZombiesBuy Tickets