Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; 'The Kinks', 'Kinda Kinks' and 'The Kink Kontroversey' out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts I'm sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On 'The Kink Kontroversy' you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyone's idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. 'Kinda Kinks' was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
'The Kinks' is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Thu 30th Mar 2017 to Thu 17th Aug 2017 The SearchersBuy Tickets
- Thu 30th Mar 2017 and Sat 1st Apr 2017 Teenage Cancer Trust, The Who: Tommy and MoreBuy Tickets
- Thu 30th Mar 2017 to Sat 1st Apr 2017 Sunny AfternoonBuy Tickets
- Thu 30th Mar 2017 and Wed 5th Apr 2017 Mike ZitoBuy Tickets
- Thu 30th Mar 2017 to Thu 13th Apr 2017 Paul WellerBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Mar 2017 Teenage Cancer Trust, Paul WellerRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)More Info..
- Fri 31st Mar 2017 and Tue 23rd May 2017 Georgie FameBuy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Apr 2017 to Wed 12th Apr 2017 The Who: Tommy and MoreBuy Tickets
- Tue 4th Apr 2017 to Fri 12th May 2017 The Solid Silver 60s Show, The Merseybeats, Dave Berry [musi...Buy Tickets
- Tue 4th Apr 2017 to Sat 15th Jul 2017 All Or Nothing [show]Buy Tickets
- Wed 5th Apr 2017 to Thu 28th Sep 2017 Sari SchorrBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Apr 2017 to Sun 14th May 2017 The Solid Silver 60s Show, The Merseybeats, Dave Berry [musi...Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Apr 2017 to Sun 24th Sep 2017 Chicago Blues BrothersBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Apr 2017 to Fri 28th Jul 2017 The LambrettasBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Apr 2017 The Blues BandUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Apr 2017 and Wed 12th Apr 2017 Erja LyytinenBuy Tickets
- Tue 11th Apr 2017 Erja Lyytinen, Blues Night100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Apr 2017 to Fri 16th Jun 2017 Connie LushBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Apr 2017 to Sat 29th Jul 2017 King KingBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Apr 2017 to Sat 9th Sep 2017 Secret AffairBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Apr 2017 and Sat 17th Jun 2017 The Counterfeit SixtiesBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Apr 2017 to Sat 6th May 2017 Dan PatlanskyBuy Tickets
- Tue 18th Apr 2017 to Mon 24th Apr 2017 Joe BonamassaBuy Tickets
- Tue 18th Apr 2017 to Sat 22nd Apr 2017 Seasick SteveBuy Tickets
- Thu 20th Apr 2017 to Thu 27th Apr 2017 Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons: Greatest Hits TourBuy Tickets
- Thu 20th Apr 2017 to Fri 28th Apr 2017 Ben PooleBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Apr 2017 to Sat 14th Oct 2017 Martin TurnerBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Apr 2017 to Thu 11th May 2017 Bob DylanBuy Tickets
- Sun 30th Apr 2017 and Sun 9th Jul 2017 Raymond FroggattBuy Tickets
- Thu 4th May 2017 Ben WatersChapel Arts Centre (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th May 2017 Mods Mayday, The Lambrettas, The Chords100 Club (Westminster)More Info..