Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; The Kinks, Kinda Kinks and The Kink Kontroversey out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts Im sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On The Kink Kontroversy you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyones idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. Kinda Kinks was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
The Kinks is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Tue 20th Mar 2018 and Wed 21st Mar 2018 Dan PatlanskyBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Mar 2018 and Thu 22nd Mar 2018 Joan BaezBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Mar 2018 to Thu 6th Sep 2018 The Pretty Things: Final Acoustic Show Ever!Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Mar 2018 to Sat 27th Oct 2018 Martin TurnerBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Mar 2018 Barns CourtneyScala (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Mar 2018 to Thu 8th Nov 2018 Kast Off KinksBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Mar 2018 and Sat 16th Jun 2018 Secret AffairBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Mar 2018 to Wed 12th Sep 2018 Chicago Blues BrothersBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Mar 2018 and Sat 24th Mar 2018 March of the ModsBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Mar 2018 Cold FlameAlexander's Live (Chester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Mar 2018 to Fri 27th Apr 2018 The HolliesBuy Tickets
- Wed 28th Mar 2018 Kyla Brox, Erja Lyytinen, Connie Lush: Ladies of the BluesThe Tunnels (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Wed 28th Mar 2018 to Thu 28th Jun 2018 Jack WhiteBuy Tickets
- Thu 29th Mar 2018 Glenn Tilbrook, Nine Below ZeroNantwich Civic Hall (Cheshire)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Mar 2018 to Sat 21st Apr 2018 The SpitfiresBuy Tickets
- Thu 29th Mar 2018 to Sat 2nd Jun 2018 All Or Nothing [show]Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Mar 2018 to Thu 5th Apr 2018 Greta Van FleetBuy Tickets
- Sat 31st Mar 2018 The Counterfeit SixtiesWhitley Bay Playhouse (Whitley Bay)Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Mar 2018 Dr Feelgood, Climax Blues Band: 50th Anniversary TourNantwich Civic Hall (Cheshire)Buy Tickets
- Mon 2nd Apr 2018 Oh Boy! It's The Non Stop Sixties, Mike Pender, Dave Berry [...Nantwich Civic Hall (Cheshire)Buy Tickets
- Mon 2nd Apr 2018 to Fri 6th Apr 2018 Hannah AldridgeBuy Tickets
- Tue 3rd Apr 2018 to Sat 7th Apr 2018 Ben Harper, Charlie MusselwhiteBuy Tickets
- Thu 5th Apr 2018 to Thu 5th Jul 2018 Marcus BonfantiBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th Apr 2018 to Sun 2nd Sep 2018 The SearchersBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th Apr 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 Nine Below ZeroBuy Tickets
- Sun 8th Apr 2018 to Sun 29th Apr 2018 Roy Orbison - In Dreams HologramBuy Tickets
- Tue 10th Apr 2018 to Fri 4th May 2018 Beth HartBuy Tickets
- Wed 11th Apr 2018 to Thu 26th Apr 2018 Ian SiegalBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Apr 2018 The ChordsThe Georgian Theatre/ Green Room (Stockton-on-Tees)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Apr 2018 and Thu 24th May 2018 Georgie FameBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Apr 2018 to Sat 22nd Sep 2018 Sari SchorrBuy Tickets