Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; 'The Kinks', 'Kinda Kinks' and 'The Kink Kontroversey' out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts I'm sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On 'The Kink Kontroversy' you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyone's idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. 'Kinda Kinks' was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
'The Kinks' is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Wed 23rd Aug 2017 to Fri 29th Sep 2017 Barns CourtneyBuy Tickets
- Sun 27th Aug 2017 to Sat 7th Oct 2017 The Three DegreesBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Sep 2017 The Downs, Elbow, Seasick Steve, De La Soul, Soul II Soul, G...The Downs (Clifton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Sep 2017 Glastonferry, The Courtbetweeners, Not The Rolling Stones, K...The Ferry Tavern (Warrington)More Info..
- Sun 3rd Sep 2017 Shovels and Rope, Lucinda WilliamsO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Mon 4th Sep 2017 Lucinda WilliamsDe La Warr Pavilion (Sussex)Buy Tickets
- Tue 5th Sep 2017 Rob TognoniThe Bullingdon (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Tue 5th Sep 2017 The YardbirdsBand on the Wall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Sep 2017 to Mon 4th Dec 2017 Henry PriestmanBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Sep 2017 to Sat 16th Dec 2017 Secret AffairBuy Tickets
- Sat 9th Sep 2017 Tom Robinson, Angelic Upstarts, Ruts DC, Geno Washington, Ed...Dreamland (Margate)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Sep 2017 BBC Proms in the Park, Ray Davies, Steps, Texas, Elaine Paig...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Sep 2017 and Tue 17th Oct 2017 The Marcus Malone BandBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th Sep 2017 OnBlackheath, The Libertines, Seasick Steve, Jake Bugg, KT T...Blackheath Common (London)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Sep 2017 The MerseybeatsCavern (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Sep 2017 Mike ZitoBackstage at the Green Hotel (Kinross)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Sep 2017 Nine Below ZeroBerits and Brown (Motherwell)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Sep 2017 to Fri 22nd Dec 2017 The Pretty ThingsBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Sep 2017 The Animals and FriendsWaterfront (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Sep 2017 to Fri 3rd Nov 2017 Martin TurnerBuy Tickets
- Wed 20th Sep 2017 to Tue 26th Sep 2017 Erja LyytinenBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Sep 2017 to Tue 5th Dec 2017 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Sep 2017 The MustangsCrawdaddy Club/ Richmond Athletic Association (Richmond upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Sun 24th Sep 2017 to Fri 15th Dec 2017 Chicago Blues BrothersBuy Tickets
- Mon 25th Sep 2017 to Tue 3rd Oct 2017 Stacie CollinsBuy Tickets
- Tue 26th Sep 2017 and Wed 27th Sep 2017 Greta Van FleetBuy Tickets
- Thu 28th Sep 2017 and Thu 16th Nov 2017 Sari SchorrBuy Tickets
- Fri 29th Sep 2017 The ZombiesLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Sep 2017 to Fri 24th Nov 2017 The Temperance Movement: Small Rooms and New TunesBuy Tickets
- Fri 29th Sep 2017 to Sat 2nd Dec 2017 The SpitfiresBuy Tickets
- Sun 1st Oct 2017 to Sat 25th Nov 2017 Lulu: All about the MusicBuy Tickets