Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; 'The Kinks', 'Kinda Kinks' and 'The Kink Kontroversey' out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts I'm sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On 'The Kink Kontroversy' you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyone's idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. 'Kinda Kinks' was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
'The Kinks' is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Fri 27th May 2016 to Sun 4th Sep 2016 Chicago Blues BrothersBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th May 2016 to Sat 11th Mar 2017 Sunny AfternoonBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th May 2016 The TroggsThe Platform (Morecambe)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th May 2016 to Mon 19th Sep 2016 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Thu 2nd Jun 2016 to Sat 18th Mar 2017 Nine Below ZeroBuy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Jun 2016 to Sun 5th Jun 2016 Lunar FestivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Jun 2016 to Sat 12th Nov 2016 The DriftersBuy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Jun 2016 Big Boss ManThe Stoke Pub & Pizzeria (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Jun 2016 to Fri 16th Dec 2016 Rod Stewart: From Gasoline Alley to Another Country HitsBuy Tickets
- Sun 5th Jun 2016 to Thu 30th Mar 2017 The SearchersBuy Tickets
- Thu 9th Jun 2016 to Thu 12th Jan 2017 The Pretty ThingsBuy Tickets
- Sun 12th Jun 2016 to Sat 19th Nov 2016 Kast Off KinksBuy Tickets
- Sun 12th Jun 2016 and Mon 5th Dec 2016 Henry PriestmanBuy Tickets
- Tue 14th Jun 2016 Hampton Court Palace Festival, Van MorrisonHampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Jun 2016 The KinxCavern (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Jun 2016 The Animals and FriendsHuntingdon Hall (Worcester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Jun 2016 and Sun 19th Jun 2016 West End LiveMore Info..
- Thu 23rd Jun 2016 to Wed 13th Jul 2016 Lucinda WilliamsBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Jun 2016 to Sun 12th Feb 2017 Raymond FroggattBuy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jul 2016 The Animals and Friends, The TroggsThe Watering Hole - Perranporth (Cornwall)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jul 2016 to Wed 9th Nov 2016 The ZombiesBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jul 2016 and Sat 20th Aug 2016 The Counterfeit SixtiesBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jul 2016 Americana Weekend: Lucinda Williams, Pierce BrothersColston Hall/ Lantern (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jul 2016 Summer Picnic Concerts: The Zombies, The Pretty ThingsHampton Pool (Middlesex)Buy Tickets
- Sun 24th Jul 2016 Ocean Colour Scene, Shed Seven, The Bluetones, Brighton Beac...Millennium Square (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Aug 2016 Lakefest, Primal Scream, We Are Scientists, Molotov Jukebox,...Eastnor Castle (Herefordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Aug 2016 The SpitfiresThe Haunt (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 29th Aug 2016 to Wed 7th Sep 2016 The Who: Back To The Who TourBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Sep 2016 The MerseybeatsCavern (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Sep 2016 and Sun 16th Oct 2016 The Three DegreesBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Sep 2016 to Sat 10th Dec 2016 Secret AffairBuy Tickets