Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; 'The Kinks', 'Kinda Kinks' and 'The Kink Kontroversey' out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts I'm sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On 'The Kink Kontroversy' you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyone's idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. 'Kinda Kinks' was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
'The Kinks' is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Sat 21st Oct 2017 to Sun 26th Nov 2017 John MayallBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Oct 2017 The KinxRotherham Trades Club (Rotherham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Oct 2017 to Fri 23rd Mar 2018 Secret AffairBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Oct 2017 to Mon 4th Dec 2017 Henry PriestmanBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Oct 2017 The PicturebooksThe Hope and Ruin (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Oct 2017 to Sat 18th Nov 2017 Sixties GoldBuy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Oct 2017 The Rolling StonesU Arena (Paris)More Info..
- Sun 22nd Oct 2017 to Fri 27th Oct 2017 Gov't MuleBuy Tickets
- Mon 23rd Oct 2017 to Mon 6th Nov 2017 Squeeze, Nine Below Zero: Join the DotsBuy Tickets
- Mon 23rd Oct 2017 to Sat 25th Nov 2017 Lulu: All about the MusicBuy Tickets
- Mon 23rd Oct 2017 to Mon 30th Oct 2017 Steve RodgersBuy Tickets
- Tue 24th Oct 2017 Wille and the Bandits, Claude HayThe Full Moon (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Tue 24th Oct 2017 and Wed 25th Oct 2017 Carvin JonesBuy Tickets
- Wed 25th Oct 2017 to Sun 12th Nov 2017 Ben PooleBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Oct 2017 to Sun 15th Apr 2018 Martin TurnerBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Oct 2017 to Fri 1st Jun 2018 Kast Off KinksBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Oct 2017 to Fri 10th Nov 2017 Harry ManxBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Oct 2017 to Fri 17th Nov 2017 Wishbone AshBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Oct 2017 to Fri 20th Apr 2018 Sensational 60s ExperienceBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Oct 2017 to Fri 20th Jul 2018 The Blues BandBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Oct 2017 to Sat 27th Jan 2018 The SpitfiresBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Oct 2017 The Original Blues Brothers BandThe Brook - Soham (Cambridgeshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Oct 2017 to Sun 7th Jan 2018 Marcus BonfantiBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Oct 2017 BluesFest, Gov't Mule, Kenny Wayne ShepherdIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Mon 30th Oct 2017 to Fri 4th May 2018 Beth HartBuy Tickets
- Thu 2nd Nov 2017 to Sat 4th Nov 2017 All Or Nothing [show]Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Nov 2017 to Sat 4th Nov 2017 The UniversalBuy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Nov 2017 to Sat 11th Nov 2017 Red Dirt SkinnersBuy Tickets
- Sun 5th Nov 2017 and Mon 6th Nov 2017 Ron PopeBuy Tickets
- Mon 6th Nov 2017 to Tue 5th Dec 2017 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Mon 6th Nov 2017 to Fri 24th Nov 2017 The Temperance Movement: Small Rooms and New TunesBuy Tickets