Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; The Kinks, Kinda Kinks and The Kink Kontroversey out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts Im sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On The Kink Kontroversy you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyones idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. Kinda Kinks was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
The Kinks is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Fri 15th Dec 2017 to Fri 27th Apr 2018 Chicago Blues BrothersBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Dec 2017 to Wed 21st Mar 2018 The Pretty ThingsBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Dec 2017 to Thu 26th Apr 2018 Ian SiegalBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Dec 2017 to Sat 19th May 2018 Aynsley ListerBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Dec 2017 The MerseybeatsThe Platform (Morecambe)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Dec 2017 The AnswerDiamond Bar (Ballymena)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Dec 2017 and Fri 23rd Mar 2018 Secret AffairBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Dec 2017 to Fri 13th Apr 2018 The SpitfiresBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Dec 2017 The Real People, The UniversalCastle and Falcon (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Dec 2017 to Fri 4th May 2018 King KingBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Dec 2017 Sister SledgeO2 Academy (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Dec 2017 Archie Brown and the Young BucksCluny (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Dec 2017 Soul Survivors, New Amen CornerRobin (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 7th Jan 2018 to Thu 15th Mar 2018 Marcus BonfantiBuy Tickets
- Mon 15th Jan 2018 London Blues Week, Ben Poole, Stevie Nimmo100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 17th Jan 2018 to Sat 20th Jan 2018 King King, Rhino's Revenge: Exile & GraceBuy Tickets
- Wed 17th Jan 2018 and Fri 9th Mar 2018 Sari SchorrBuy Tickets
- Wed 17th Jan 2018 London Blues Week, Climax Blues Band100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 17th Jan 2018 to Sun 17th Jun 2018 The SearchersBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Jan 2018 London Blues Week, Stan Webb's Chicken Shack100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jan 2018 London Blues Week, The Downliners Sect100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Jan 2018 to Fri 26th Jan 2018 Lucky PetersonBuy Tickets
- Thu 25th Jan 2018 to Fri 20th Apr 2018 Sensational 60s ExperienceBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jan 2018 King King, Gerry Jablonski And The Electric Band: Exile & GraceThe Queen's Hall (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Jan 2018 King King, Xander and the Peace Pirates: Exile & GraceLeadmill (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Jan 2018 Ben WatersRed Lion (Essex)Buy Tickets
- Tue 30th Jan 2018 Blues Night, Aynsley Lister100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Feb 2018 Big Boss ManThe Victoria [The Vic] (Swindon)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Feb 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 Nine Below ZeroBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Feb 2018 and Sat 31st Mar 2018 The Counterfeit SixtiesBuy Tickets
- Mon 12th Feb 2018 to Thu 15th Feb 2018 Paul WellerBuy Tickets