Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; The Kinks, Kinda Kinks and The Kink Kontroversey out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts Im sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On The Kink Kontroversy you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyones idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. Kinda Kinks was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
The Kinks is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Thu 31st May 2018 Nils Lofgren: 50 Years ... Up the RoadBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Sat 2nd Jun 2018 All Or Nothing [show]Buy Tickets
- Tue 22nd May 2018 The Rolling Stones, Liam Gallagher: No FilterThe London Stadium - Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (Newham)Buy Tickets
- Tue 22nd May 2018 and Thu 24th May 2018 Katalina KicksBuy Tickets
- Thu 24th May 2018 to Fri 13th Jul 2018 Georgie FameBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Fri 21st Dec 2018 Nine Below ZeroBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Fay Hallam100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 The Rolling Stones, Florence and the Machine: No FilterThe London Stadium - Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (Newham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 to Fri 15th Feb 2019 The SearchersBuy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 to Fri 1st Jun 2018 King King, Steve HillBuy Tickets
- Tue 29th May 2018 The Original Gary Moore Band100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th May 2018 The Rolling Stones, The Vaccines: No FilterSt Mary's - Southampton FC (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 30th May 2018 to Wed 13th Feb 2019 The Blues BandBuy Tickets
- Thu 31st May 2018 Aidan ConnellThe Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 to Fri 7th Dec 2018 Kast Off KinksBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 The DriftersBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 to Fri 1st Feb 2019 Chicago Blues BrothersBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 to Sat 29th Sep 2018 Stacie CollinsBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 The Groundhogs, King King, Stacie Collins, Climax Blues BandThe Neon (Newport)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 The Rolling Stones, The Specials: No FilterRicoh Arena / Ericsson Arena (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Jun 2018 Walter Trout, Dr Feelgood, The Groundhogs, Ben Poole, Stacie...: Leicester Blues FestLeicester Arena (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Tue 5th Jun 2018 and Sat 9th Jun 2018 The Rolling Stones, Richard Ashcroft: No FilterBuy Tickets
- Wed 6th Jun 2018 to Sat 16th Jun 2018 The ZombiesBuy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jun 2018 to Sat 15th Sep 2018 Marcus BonfantiBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th Jun 2018 and Tue 12th Jun 2018 The Temperance MovementBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th Jun 2018 to Sun 2nd Dec 2018 Raymond FroggattBuy Tickets
- Mon 11th Jun 2018 Greta Van FleetElectric Ballroom (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Tue 12th Jun 2018 Hampton Court Palace Festival, Joe BonamassaHampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Jun 2018 and Thu 8th Nov 2018 Aynsley ListerBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th Jun 2018 to Thu 21st Jun 2018 The PicturebooksBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 and Sat 16th Jun 2018 Hampton Court Palace Festival, The Beach BoysBuy Tickets