Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; 'The Kinks', 'Kinda Kinks' and 'The Kink Kontroversey' out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts I'm sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On 'The Kink Kontroversy' you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyone's idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. 'Kinda Kinks' was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
'The Kinks' is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Sat 24th Jun 2017 to Sat 17th Feb 2018 Chicago Blues BrothersBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Jun 2017 to Fri 8th Dec 2017 Status Quo: AquosticBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Jun 2017 to Fri 20th Oct 2017 King KingBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Jun 2017 and Sun 2nd Jul 2017 The Black SorrowsBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jul 2017 Maverick Festival, The Black SorrowsEaston Farm Park (Suffolk)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jul 2017 Glastonferry, The Jam DRC, The Verve Experience, Lioness - T...The Ferry Tavern (Warrington)More Info..
- Mon 3rd Jul 2017 to Sat 18th Nov 2017 Crow Black ChickenBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Jul 2017 to Fri 21st Jul 2017 Hannah AldridgeBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Jul 2017 The SpitfiresThe Holroyd Arms (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Jul 2017 Frankie Valli and the Four SeasonsMarquee (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jul 2017 to Sun 9th Jul 2017 Priory Park FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jul 2017 and Sun 3rd Dec 2017 Raymond FroggattBuy Tickets
- Mon 10th Jul 2017 to Sat 4th Nov 2017 All Or Nothing [show]Buy Tickets
- Tue 11th Jul 2017 to Tue 5th Dec 2017 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Jul 2017 Seasick SteveThe Watering Hole - Perranporth (Cornwall)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jul 2017 to Sat 12th May 2018 Kast Off KinksBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jul 2017 Let's Rock London, The Human League, Sister Sledge, Howard J...Clapham Common (London)Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th Jul 2017 to Thu 5th Oct 2017 Barns CourtneyBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Jul 2017 Corduroy, Fay Hallam100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jul 2017 Ealing Blues Festival, Geoff Garbow Band, John Crampton, Sam...Walpole Park (Ealing)Buy Tickets
- Tue 25th Jul 2017 to Fri 28th Jul 2017 ZZ TopBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Jul 2017 The LambrettasThe Longlands Club (Middlesbrough)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Jul 2017 to Fri 22nd Dec 2017 The Pretty ThingsBuy Tickets
- Sun 30th Jul 2017 Ramblin' Man Fair, ZZ TopMote Park (Maidstone)Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th Jul 2017 and Fri 22nd Dec 2017 Sister SledgeBuy Tickets
- Sat 5th Aug 2017 Brotherhood Of Man, The Animals and Friends, Mike Pender's S...Beckingham Bell (Maldon)Buy Tickets
- Sun 6th Aug 2017 Brian Wilson, Seasick Steve, Martha Reeves and the VandellasTimes Square (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Wed 9th Aug 2017 Seasick Steve, Summer Nights at the BandstandKelvingrove Park (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 17th Aug 2017 and Sun 25th Feb 2018 The SearchersBuy Tickets
- Sat 19th Aug 2017 Texas RadioNambucca (London)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th Aug 2017 to Sat 7th Oct 2017 The Three DegreesBuy Tickets