Small Source of Comfort - Bruce Cockburn Album Review
Its hard to believe that, on the strength of this album, Bruce Cockburn has slipped under many peoples radars in the UK for nigh on 40 years.
Admittedly, my only dalliance with this criminally over-looked poet and performer were his 80s albums, The Trouble With Normal (a mate owned a copy on cassette it sounded like it was recorded in barrel) and Big Circumstance, an album I played in the Our Price shop I was working in I remember liking it, but not enough to tear me away from my then-world of indie music. How times change.
I realise hes got quite a fevered following full of fervour for their hero, so Ill choose my words wisely as a Cockburn near-virgin.
Basically, his 31st album is pretty darned good. Kicking off with the spiritually and almost self-deprecating Iris Of The World, you immediately realise youre in good company, especially with wry observations like Im good at blowing holes in things and ranting in self-doubt and Ive got a way with time and space/but numbers freak me out blimey, I can almost relate to that.
I get the impression Cockburn is all about soul-searching, given the reflective mood of some of the songs on here. Driving Away, written with ex-Wailin Jenny Annabelle Chvostek, is a case in point with its rain-swept and furrowed brow it could almost sit on a Blue Nile album in fact. Radiance is also a rather down-beat jazz torch-song looking for a soul-mate, written by Cockburn at the wheel of his car (well, Im sure he pulled over first, law-lords).
But for every blanket of gloom, theres a chink of sunlight and Cockburn masters both very well. Humour appears in spades on Call Me Rose, a poignant tale of what Richard Nixon might be thinking if he was resurrected as a girl, while on Called Me Back he rues an unreturned phone call with the barbed line I coulda been croaking on the floor of my flat/the bugger never called me back.
Add in some measured instrumental work as on the fine Lois On The Autobahn and Bohemian 3-Step, and you have a consistently rewarding collection that demands repeated listening.
You may be interested in
- Thu 18th Jan 2018 Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly.Village Underground (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Jan 2018 Shelby Lynne, Allison Moorer, Celtic ConnectionsGlasgow City Halls (Glasgow)More Info..
- Mon 29th Jan 2018 Shelby Lynne, Allison MoorerThe Stoller Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Feb 2018 to Fri 8th Jun 2018 The Wedding PresentBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Feb 2018 and Sat 17th Feb 2018 Nitin SawhneyBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Turbonegro: Rocknroll MachineKOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Tom McRaeHoly Trinity Church (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Mar 2018 to Sat 31st Mar 2018 Turin Brakes: Invisible StormBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 to Sun 11th Mar 2018 C2C: Country to Country, Faith Hill, Tim McGrawBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 to Sun 11th Mar 2018 C2C: Country to Country, Little Big Town, Emmylou Harris, Ma...Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 to Sun 11th Mar 2018 C2C: Country to Country, Kacey Musgraves, Kip MooreBuy Tickets
- Sat 10th Mar 2018 The Bluebird Cafe at C2C: C2C: Country to Country, Mo Pitney - Ryan Hurd, Jillian Jacqueline, Mo PitneyBuilding Six - The O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Mar 2018 The Bluebird Cafe at C2C:: C2C: Country to Country - Walker Hayes, Ashley McBryde, Leslie SatcherBuilding Six - The O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Mon 12th Mar 2018 Diana JonesThe Lexington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 11th Apr 2018 to Sat 14th Apr 2018 The MekonsBuy Tickets
- Thu 12th Apr 2018 The VirginmarysClwb Ifor Bach (Cardiff)On SaleFri 19th Janat 10am
- Mon 16th Apr 2018 and Tue 17th Apr 2018 Casey, Endless Heights, RarityBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Apr 2018 to Sun 6th May 2018 BuzzcocksBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 Scotland Calling, Buzzcocks, Cockney Rejects, Angelic Upstar...O2 ABC (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 2nd May 2018 to Sun 20th May 2018 The BluetonesBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd May 2018 to Fri 1st Jun 2018 Rory McLeodBuy Tickets
- Mon 14th May 2018 to Wed 23rd May 2018 Nina NesbittOn SaleWed 17th Janat 9am
- Wed 16th May 2018 AfroCubismJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 23rd May 2018 to Fri 1st Jun 2018 Echo and the Bunnymen: The Stars, The Ocean and The MoonBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Sun 27th May 2018 The Beat, Buzzcocks, The Selecter, Stiff Little FingersBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Gretchen PetersBuy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Jun 2018 Gretchen Peters, Kim RicheyThe Pavilion Theatre (Worthing)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Jul 2018 Halestorm, Steve Earle, Blackberry SmokeMote Park (Maidstone)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 Sounds of the City, Paul Heaton, Jacqui Abbott, Elvis Costel...Castlefield Bowl (Castlefield)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 to Sat 6th Oct 2018 They Might Be GiantsBuy Tickets
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 Andy Fairweather LowSt John's Church - Farncombe (Godalming)Buy Tickets