Dream Attic - Richard Thompson Album Review
Richard Thompsons importance in English folk and rock music became apparent with his selection as curator of the 2010 Meltdown Festival its not just any old bugger who gets that accolade you know. But now its time for what Thompson does best a new album, a live-set no less, recorded during a West Coast tour in the States earlier this year.
The initial print-run pairs up an electric set of 13 brand-new songs recorded in front of an audience, mainly in San Francisco, and the same 13 songs presented in original acoustic-demo form. The comparables that this throws up makes for interesting listening, kicked off by the raised middle finger to the financial-sectors that is, The Money Shuffle followed by slightly more rootsy and familiar territory with Among The Gorse, Among The Grey. But, for me, the album really takes off with the stomping Haul Me Up, a riff-laden song that sees Thompson pleading for salvation and delivering a snatch of blistering fret work to boot. If singles were still viable, this would be my choice.
The electric selection isnt all rock, rock, rock Burning Man is a fiddle-laced ballad with some vivid imagery that wouldnt sit out of place on a Waterboys album (thats a compliment), while the almost funky Demons In Her Dancing Shoes helps display his supporting bands chops with veritable aplomb. Thompson has many fortes and one is singing about death, a subject that rears its head during A Brother Slips Away and Sidney Wells, but it isnt all doom and gloom his trademark blues ditched on Big Sun Falling In The River, in favour of Crowded House-esque popera, and Bad Again a rock n roll exercise.
So does including the acoustic-readings add another dimension to an album that already clocks in at 70 minutes plus? Well it knocks 20 minutes off and actually enhances a few songs Haul Me Up and Sidney Wells benefiting from the minimal arrangements. To be honest, I like the idea of the raw live recording, but enjoyed this demo section a little bit more.
Overall, another spot-on album from a man dangerously close to being termed as a national treasure, but I would have liked a shorter electric set, perhaps 10 songs with a couple of acoustic songs thrown into the mix. I guess I prefer Mr Thompsons more minimal approach than a full band, but Dream Attic is still concrete evidence of his holistic and organic approach to making music. Get the limited edition.
You may be interested in
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 to Sat 30th Mar 2019 Seth LakemanBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 to Thu 25th Apr 2019 The Urban Folk QuartetBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 to Thu 22nd Nov 2018 The StrawbsBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Thu 9th May 2019 Tide LinesBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 and Wed 28th Nov 2018 OysterbandBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Tue 27th Nov 2018 SaintsenecaBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Sat 20th Apr 2019 Holy Moly And The CrackersBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Sat 16th Feb 2019 Martin StephensonBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Thu 20th Dec 2018 Ian McNabbBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Sat 8th Dec 2018 Sound of the SirensBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Sat 12th Jan 2019 Hermitage GreenBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Sun 20th Oct 2019 Martin CarthyBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 to Fri 5th Apr 2019 Glenn TilbrookBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Nov 2018 Vashti BunyanBrudenell Social (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 Clive GregsonUkrainian Centre (Doncaster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 Andy IrvineThe Purty Kitchen (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 Martin Taylor, Martin SimpsonThe Marine Theatre - Lyme Regis (Dorset)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 to Sat 2nd Mar 2019 Fatboy SlimBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 to Sat 8th Dec 2018 The WaterboysBuy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Dec 2018 Zervas and PepperThe Globe (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Tue 4th Dec 2018 to Fri 14th Dec 2018 Thea GilmoreBuy Tickets
- Tue 4th Dec 2018 to Tue 11th Dec 2018 Great Lake SwimmersBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 to Tue 11th Dec 2018 Les TriaboliquesBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 LindisfarneBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 and Fri 25th Oct 2019 John TamsBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 and Sun 9th Dec 2018 Johnny CoppinBuy Tickets
- Sun 9th Dec 2018 to Sun 16th Dec 2018 The Dylan ProjectBuy Tickets
- Sun 9th Dec 2018 Maddy Prior, The Carnival BandThe Platform (Morecambe)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 Blackbeard's Tea PartyThe Crescent Community Centre (York)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 to Sat 2nd Mar 2019 EzioBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 to Sat 27th Apr 2019 Ferocious DogBuy Tickets