Durutti Column 2001-2009 (Box set) - The Durutti Column Album Review
Aimed at the Christmas market yet strangely absent from shops until the last minute (well, in London), this might well qualify for your hard-earned 'gift-tokens' during January, especially with a few dates coming up for Vini Reilly and Bruce Mitchell in Manchester and London (see below).
'2001 - 2009' does what it says on the smart little box - it rounds up his output for his alter-label Artful (alongside indie Kooky). It seems that one label isn't enough for the prolific guitarist who spends his time cavorting with two bed-partners, so to speak. Trying to make a 'Best Of' for the Durutti Column, something Warners attempted a few years back and failed due to distribution cock-ups, is nigh on impossible so the easy route is to repackage albums with a few extra tracks. How I would love to be the manager of his entire catalogue...no one has yet done him justice. I'll try and keep it brief...
Disc one is 'Rebellion', a strange mish-mash of flat ideas that rank as some of Reilly's most misguided recordings. Opening piece 'For Sophia' is wonderful - an instrumental that represents his ability to craft awe-inspiring beauty from a guitar with a hint of sampled operatics in the mix a la his Sporadic days and added to Bruce Mitchell's terrific drumming on 'Geh Cak Af En Yam' following on, there is little else to stir the soul apart from another Mitchell-driven baby called 'Meschugana'. Folk songs, raps and half-realized ideas just don't suit his talents here on the rest of the album. The extras are two prime XFM session tracks that enhance the set.
Disc two is 'Someone Else's Party' which is the equal of his best and thus begs the head-scratching question - how can he go from 'Rebellion' to this? Or vice versa? Pretty much all of this album is bang on the money with samples, beats and glorious guitar-riffs made for Heaven. The vocals, something that Reilly was berated for by long-standing friend and Factory boss Tony Wilson, are mixed perfectly with the backdrop of electronic and down-beats. Highlights are the non-vocal 'Spanish Lament' (featuring the ballad from 'Mulholland Drive' with added Vinisms), the highly personal 'Requiem For My Mother', the chunky-beatfest 'Vigil', the Aaron Neville-sampled intensity of 'No More Hurt', the Bhangra-flavoured monster 'Woman' and the pretty dawn-chorus sampled 'Goodbye'. In addition, 'Drinking Time' is a paean about an alcoholic sung from a girlfriend's point of view and is primed to soundtrack a million Mike Leigh films - it is truly lovely. The extras include the tear-duct tingle, 'Creole'.
Disc Three is 'Keep Breathing' which is almost the equal of SEP. 'Nina' contains a few reasons to learn how to play guitar as does the next track 'It's Wonderful'. 'Maggie' uses a cracking take on the folk classic 'She Moves Through The Fair' to drive it forward and 'Helen' broods with typical Reilly finesse. But it's the slight acoustic pickings of 'Neil' and 'Lunch' that show his forte as a composer and tie this album up as a contender, the latter borrowing a few bits from his landmark composition 'Without Mercy'.
Disc four (are you keeping up?) is 'Idiot Savants', an album that continues with the dedications to a certain Mr Wilson with the pivotal piece 'Interleukin (For Anthony)', interleukins being a medical term that may or may not have alluded to Tony's ongoing health state. The album as a whole is a bit hard-going in places and only the Spanish-flavoured 'Please Let Me Sleep' really keeps it all together. The rest knocks on the door of introspection too often.
The final disc is 2009's 'Love In The Time Of Recession', an album I gave three and a half stars in March. This version adds extra tracks so has it been enhanced to the good? Well the main album still sounds like it did 10 months ago - a varied mixture of vocal or guitar-led vignettes that don't quite gel yet never cause disinterest. If you fail to get 'For Bruce' then you are destined for the bin, I can say no more. The two extras are remakes of album tracks past and present.
Overall, if you want to dip into what Reilly is doing in his recent years then this budget box-set is well-worth plonking your toe (and ear) into. But there is an air of muddled cobbling together here.
You may be interested in
- Thu 5th May 2016 to Sun 7th Aug 2016 Chameleons VoxBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th May 2016 to Sat 21st May 2016 James, The Slow Readers ClubBuy Tickets
- Sun 8th May 2016 to Sat 28th May 2016 John MetcalfeBuy Tickets
- Mon 9th May 2016 OMD: Dazzle Ships / Architecture and MoralityRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 11th May 2016 Chameleons Vox, The ChameleonsBrudenell Social (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Thu 12th May 2016 to Sat 21st May 2016 The NightingalesBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th May 2016 to Sat 21st May 2016 Manic Street Preachers, EditorsBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th May 2016 to Tue 31st May 2016 EagullsBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th May 2016 to Fri 20th May 2016 JamesBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th May 2016 Space MonkeysGorilla (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th May 2016 KeplerSix Bells (Cambridge)More Info..
- Sat 14th May 2016 and Sun 15th May 2016 Tuxedomoon: Half-MuteBuy Tickets
- Tue 24th May 2016 to Sat 18th Jun 2016 PiLBuy Tickets
- Thu 26th May 2016 and Sun 29th May 2016 The Nightingales, Ted ChippingtonBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th May 2016 Bearded Theory Festival, Levellers, Killing Joke, Reverend a...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th May 2016 Bearded Theory Festival, PiL, Black Uhuru, Billy Bragg, Wilk...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th May 2016 and Sun 29th May 2016 ESGBuy Tickets
- Thu 2nd Jun 2016 to Thu 20th Oct 2016 John Cooper ClarkeBuy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Jun 2016 to Sun 5th Jun 2016 Wychwood FestivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Jun 2016 John Cale, Festival of VoiceSt David's Hall (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Jun 2016 Let's Rock Bristol, Holly Johnson, Shalamar, Jason Donovan, ...Ashton Court Amphitheatre (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Jun 2016 Blue OrchidsThe Continental (Preston)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Jun 2016 and Sat 18th Jun 2016 FAC51 The Hacienda, Todd Terry, Marshall Jefferson, Graeme P...Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Jun 2016 to Sat 5th Nov 2016 The Monochrome SetBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jul 2016 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Massive Attack...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jul 2016 Jez KerrThe Night and Day Cafe (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jul 2016 Punishment of LuxuryWestgarth Social Club (Middlesbrough)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jul 2016 Hacienda Classical, Sounds of the City, Graeme Park, Mike Pi...Castlefield Bowl (Castlefield)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th Jul 2016 Summer Days Festival, Simply Red, Gabrielle, The Christians,...Clitheroe Castle (Clitheroe)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jul 2016 Bilbao BBK Live, Arcade Fire, New Order, M83, CHVRCHES, Hot ...Kobetamendi Park - Bilbao BBK (Bilbao)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jul 2016 Summer Days Festival, Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues ...Clitheroe Castle (Clitheroe)Buy Tickets