I Am... Sasha Fierce - Beyoncé Platinum Album Review
Platinum Album Review
'I Am... Sasha Fierce [Platinum Edition]' is the CD/DVD re-release of the three times platinum (as of October 2009) selling third solo album from stunning American diva Beyoncé Knowles. The original release, described by amazon.co.uk as an 'intentionally schizophrenic affair', came as two discs, each portraying a side of Beyoncé's split musical personality by means of adopting one of two characters; 'I Am' being Beyoncé's inner emotional, sensitive self and 'Sasha Fierce' her fun loving, booty shaking alter ego. The first disc is a collection of superb emotional down-tempo tracks and ballads which showcase Beyoncé's complete vocal control and outstanding vocal ability while the second disc is a selection of infectious, more upbeat R&B tracks reminiscent of her 'Crazy In Love' days. Also containing four bonus tracks and a DVD of the single videos and behind the scenes extras, the platinum edition, however, abandons the blatant split musical personality concept as tracks are relisted side by side on one twenty track CD as a musical roller coaster of variety.
So, to the musical content itself. The strutting, booty shaking, R&B pop brilliance that is 'Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)' introduces the album; Beyoncé the diva on fine form. This super start, however, rapidly deteriorates from such fine form with dirty hip hop/R&B track 'Diva', a disappointingly weak second track with a repeated 'I'm a I'm a diva' sample throughout which is reminiscent of a chipmunk and rather irritating. Merely three tracks into the album, the inconsistency that continues throughout the selection is evident. The fourth track is a return to magnificent haunting ballad 'Halo' which is both beautifully sung and orchestrated; synth pads reminiscent of a choir, piano introduction, and low synthesised strings over another simple kick drum and synth clap drum beat. Lulls in the orchestration throughout create the perfect variation to highlight Beyoncé's utterly lush vocal, particularly evident in the chorus. In a similar vein to the number one single 'If I Were A Boy' which precedes it, 'Smash Into You' is another down tempo number with a gorgeous, delicate vocal during the verse building into a stronger vocal in the chorus, picking up pace throughout, building into a moving 'oooh' refrain highlighting Beyoncé's outstanding range and flexibility. The composition isn't particularly reflective of the lyrics on this track; 'I wanna run and smash into you' hardly brings a beautiful slow ballad with a stripped down, acoustic guitar and piano accompaniment underneath Beyoncé's lush vocal to mind. Interspersing doses of grooving R&B among beautiful, down tempo ballads, the album continues with the singles 'Sweet Dreams' and 'Broken Hearted Girl' and then another R&B filler 'Scared of Lonely'. Tracks nine to thirteen are the mediocre lull of the album, highlighting the aforementioned inconsistency throughout.
Tracks fourteen to seventeen are bonus tracks exclusive to the platinum edition of '...Sasha Fierce'. Kanye West meanders his way through a one and a half minute rap over the funky piano, bass, kit and synthesized brass groove of 'Ego' in its second "remixed" appearance on the album; in reality, the track is identical to the previous hearing, except that Kanye takes the first verse before returning the reigns to Beyoncé for the remainder of the song. Her vocal tone towards the end of the song is, however, questionable; an attempt at a high-pitched almost whisper-like tone turns out to sound shredded and strained. 'Why Don't You Love Me' is a harmonically dull, bongo-ridden latin dance pop number, followed by the contrasting Billy Joel cover 'Honesty' and 'Save The Hero', the latter of which both showcase Beyoncé's lovely, soulful voice and outstanding vocal range.
Beyoncé's vocal talent is indisputable and ever-present on 'I Am... Sasha Fierce'; frequent melismatic phrases in the delicate melodic lines of ballads suggest obvious comparisons with the likes of Mariah Carey, similarly the strong power vocal so prominent in the big choruses highlights the influence of big selling American female vocalists such as Tina Turner, Whitney Houston and Aretha Franklin. With the high points of this album, 'Halo', 'If I Were A Boy' and the stunning conclusion 'Ave Maria', Beyoncé now stands among the likes of the aforementioned artists in, as a solo artist in her own right, becoming one of the absolute gems of the American music industry, especially where the ballad is concerned.
The conclusions drawn from multiple plays of 'I Am... Sasha Fierce [Platinum Edition] are diversity in genre (which is great!), yet inconsistency in quality. Some tracks, with their rambling love song lyrics and monotonous harmony, pass by as "just another track" whilst others, notably the singles and the lush, tear jerking close 'Ave Maria' stand out as really strong tracks. Fair enough, this is the extended platinum version but even judged on the original release, despite being value for money in terms of quantity; Beyoncé could've condensed the content to a shorter track listing and thus released a stunning album free of fillers. As it happens, as much as her talent shines, she unfortunately dilutes her fine form with much weaker tracks: disappointing inconsistency. Having said that, for it's high points, 'I Am... Sasha Fierce [Platinum Edition]' is a fine showcase of the further progression, variety and musical maturity of an undoubted talent.
- Tue 28th Jun 2016 Beyoncé: The Formation TourStadium of Light (Sunderland AFC) (Sunderland)Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th Jun 2016 Beyoncé: The Formation TourPrincipality (Millennium) Stadium (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jul 2016 and Sun 3rd Jul 2016 Beyoncé: The Formation TourWembley Stadium (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Tue 5th Jul 2016 Beyoncé: The Formation TourEmirates Old Trafford (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jul 2016 Beyoncé: The Formation TourHampden Park (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jul 2016 Beyoncé: The Formation TourCroke Park Stadium (Dublin)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Tue 31st May 2016 Lytham Festival, Cee-Lo GreenLowther Pavilion (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Jun 2016 X Music Festival, Craig David, Andy C, MK, Blonde, DJ Redlig...Bute Park (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Jun 2016 Detonate Festival, Chase and Status - DJ Set, Craig David, S...Colwick Hall/ Park (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 9th Jun 2016 Hampton Court Palace Festival, AnastaciaHampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Thu 9th Jun 2016 Bridget KellyXOYO (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Fri 10th Jun 2016 and Sun 12th Jun 2016 YolanDa Brown, Lemar, Michelle WilliamsMore Info..
- Sat 11th Jun 2016 The Parklife Weekender, Chemical Brothers, Ice Cube, Years a...Heaton Park (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 11th Jun 2016 Capital FM Summertime Ball, Little Mix, Tinie Tempah, Jess G...Wembley Stadium (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Tue 14th Jun 2016 and Wed 15th Jun 2016 Lionel Richie, Eden SessionsBuy Tickets
- Wed 15th Jun 2016 Chris Brown3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Jun 2016 to Thu 7th Jul 2016 Lionel Richie, Corinne Bailey RaeBuy Tickets
- Tue 21st Jun 2016 RihannaAviva Stadium (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st Jun 2016 SantigoldElectric (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Jun 2016 to Wed 29th Jun 2016 Rihanna, The Weeknd, Big Sean: ANTIBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Jun 2016 to Tue 28th Jun 2016 BrandyBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Jun 2016 and Sat 25th Jun 2016 Autism Rocks: Cee-Lo Green, Mark Ronson, Morris Day and the Time, Fundrais... - A Tribute to PrinceBuy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Jul 2016 SantanaEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jul 2016 NASS Festival, Jurassic 5, StormzyRoyal Bath and West Showground (Somerset)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jul 2016 Wireless Festival, Chase and Status, J. Cole, Sigma, Krept &...Finsbury Park (London)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Jul 2016 AmerieJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jul 2016 KRS-One, DJ PremierO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jul 2016 Lionel Richie, Shane FilanPunchestown Racecourse (Kildare)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jul 2016 MADE Birmingham, Rudimental, StormzyThe Rainbow (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Aug 2016 The Jockey Club Live presents: Mark RonsonNewmarket Racecourse (Newmarket)Buy Tickets
- Mon 8th Aug 2016 Pharoahe MonchCluny (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Aug 2016 Reading Festival, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Imagine Dragons, Tw...Little John's Farm (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Aug 2016 Creamfields, Calvin Harris, Annie Mac, Tiësto, Hardwell...Daresbury Estate (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Aug 2016 Leeds Festival, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Imagine Dragons, Two ...Bramham Park (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Wed 31st Aug 2016 NasO2 Academy (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Sep 2016 Raekwon, Ghostface KillahO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Tue 11th Oct 2016 to Tue 29th Nov 2016 Justin BieberBuy Tickets