I Am Sasha Fierce - Beyoncé Platinum Album Review
Platinum Album Review
I Am Sasha Fierce [Platinum Edition] is the CD/DVD re-release of the three times platinum (as of October 2009) selling third solo album from stunning American diva Beyonc Knowles. The original release, described by amazon.co.uk as an intentionally schizophrenic affair, came as two discs, each portraying a side of Beyoncs split musical personality by means of adopting one of two characters; I Am being Beyoncs inner emotional, sensitive self and Sasha Fierce her fun loving, booty shaking alter ego. The first disc is a collection of superb emotional down-tempo tracks and ballads which showcase Beyoncs complete vocal control and outstanding vocal ability while the second disc is a selection of infectious, more upbeat R&B tracks reminiscent of her Crazy In Love days. Also containing four bonus tracks and a DVD of the single videos and behind the scenes extras, the platinum edition, however, abandons the blatant split musical personality concept as tracks are relisted side by side on one twenty track CD as a musical roller coaster of variety.
So, to the musical content itself. The strutting, booty shaking, R&B pop brilliance that is Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) introduces the album; Beyonc the diva on fine form. This super start, however, rapidly deteriorates from such fine form with dirty hip hop/R&B track Diva, a disappointingly weak second track with a repeated Im a Im a diva sample throughout which is reminiscent of a chipmunk and rather irritating. Merely three tracks into the album, the inconsistency that continues throughout the selection is evident. The fourth track is a return to magnificent haunting ballad Halo which is both beautifully sung and orchestrated; synth pads reminiscent of a choir, piano introduction, and low synthesised strings over another simple kick drum and synth clap drum beat. Lulls in the orchestration throughout create the perfect variation to highlight Beyoncs utterly lush vocal, particularly evident in the chorus. In a similar vein to the number one single If I Were A Boy which precedes it, Smash Into You is another down tempo number with a gorgeous, delicate vocal during the verse building into a stronger vocal in the chorus, picking up pace throughout, building into a moving oooh refrain highlighting Beyoncs outstanding range and flexibility. The composition isnt particularly reflective of the lyrics on this track; I wanna run and smash into you hardly brings a beautiful slow ballad with a stripped down, acoustic guitar and piano accompaniment underneath Beyoncs lush vocal to mind. Interspersing doses of grooving R&B among beautiful, down tempo ballads, the album continues with the singles Sweet Dreams and Broken Hearted Girl and then another R&B filler Scared of Lonely. Tracks nine to thirteen are the mediocre lull of the album, highlighting the aforementioned inconsistency throughout.
Tracks fourteen to seventeen are bonus tracks exclusive to the platinum edition of Sasha Fierce. Kanye West meanders his way through a one and a half minute rap over the funky piano, bass, kit and synthesized brass groove of Ego in its second remixed appearance on the album; in reality, the track is identical to the previous hearing, except that Kanye takes the first verse before returning the reigns to Beyonc for the remainder of the song. Her vocal tone towards the end of the song is, however, questionable; an attempt at a high-pitched almost whisper-like tone turns out to sound shredded and strained. Why Dont You Love Me is a harmonically dull, bongo-ridden latin dance pop number, followed by the contrasting Billy Joel cover Honesty and Save The Hero, the latter of which both showcase Beyoncs lovely, soulful voice and outstanding vocal range.
Beyoncs vocal talent is indisputable and ever-present on I Am Sasha Fierce; frequent melismatic phrases in the delicate melodic lines of ballads suggest obvious comparisons with the likes of Mariah Carey, similarly the strong power vocal so prominent in the big choruses highlights the influence of big selling American female vocalists such as Tina Turner, Whitney Houston and Aretha Franklin. With the high points of this album, Halo, If I Were A Boy and the stunning conclusion Ave Maria, Beyonc now stands among the likes of the aforementioned artists in, as a solo artist in her own right, becoming one of the absolute gems of the American music industry, especially where the ballad is concerned.
The conclusions drawn from multiple plays of I Am Sasha Fierce [Platinum Edition] are diversity in genre (which is great!), yet inconsistency in quality. Some tracks, with their rambling love song lyrics and monotonous harmony, pass by as just another track whilst others, notably the singles and the lush, tear jerking close Ave Maria stand out as really strong tracks. Fair enough, this is the extended platinum version but even judged on the original release, despite being value for money in terms of quantity; Beyonc couldve condensed the content to a shorter track listing and thus released a stunning album free of fillers. As it happens, as much as her talent shines, she unfortunately dilutes her fine form with much weaker tracks: disappointing inconsistency. Having said that, for its high points, I Am Sasha Fierce [Platinum Edition] is a fine showcase of the further progression, variety and musical maturity of an undoubted talent.
You may be interested in
- Tue 21st May 2019 to Sat 24th Aug 2019 Rita OraBuy Tickets
- Wed 22nd May 2019 to Mon 27th May 2019 Mariah CareyBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend, Miley Cyrus, Stormzy, Mumford and...Stewart Park (Middlesbrough)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 Norman Jay, Jazzie B, Don LettsDreamland (Margate)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2019 BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend, The 1975, Little Mix, Catfish and...Stewart Park (Middlesbrough)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2019 EstelleO2 Institute (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Mon 27th May 2019 Jam on Rye, Kelis, Jazzie B, Omar, Greentea Peng, Barney Art...Peckham Rye Park (Peckham)More Info..
- Thu 30th May 2019 to Sat 1st Jun 2019 Damian MarleyBuy Tickets
- Thu 30th May 2019 A 16-Piece Orchestra Perform: Destiny's ChildXOYO (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st May 2019 The Ends Festival, Nas, De La Soul, Ghetts, A2, Kojey Radica...Lloyd Park (Croydon)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Jun 2019 The Ends Festival, Damian Marley, NAO, Masego, Mansur Brown,...Lloyd Park (Croydon)Buy Tickets
- Tue 4th Jun 2019 to Sat 8th Jun 2019 Billy Cobham, Randy BreckerBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Jun 2019 NOS Primavera Sound, Solange, StereolabParque da Cidade (Porto)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jun 2019 NOS Primavera Sound, Interpol, James BlakeParque da Cidade (Porto)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jun 2019 Jazzie BThe Old Queen's Head (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2019 NOS Primavera Sound, Erykah Badu, Jorge Ben JorParque da Cidade (Porto)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2019 and Sun 9th Jun 2019 ParklifeMore Info..
- Sat 8th Jun 2019 Orchestra Orange: A Live Rendition Of Frank OceanXOYO (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2019 Capital FM Summertime Ball, Mark Ronson, 5 Seconds of Summer...Wembley Stadium (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2019 George Ezra, Solange, The Streets, Migos, Khalid, Christine ...Heaton Park (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Tue 11th Jun 2019 Sentebale, Rita Ora, George the-PoetHampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Jun 2019 Charlie Hunter, Lucy WoodwardRonnie Scotts (Soho)Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th Jun 2019 Glasgow Jazz Festival, Charlie Hunter, Lucy WoodwardThe Blue Arrow Club (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Jun 2019 Belsonic, StormzyOrmeau Park (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Jun 2019 Glastonbury, StormzyWorthy Farm (Somerset)More Info..
- Fri 28th Jun 2019 and Sat 29th Jun 2019 Tony BennettBuy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Jul 2019 Innervisions Festival, Robert Glasper, Chris Dave, Derrick H...Roundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Jul 2019 to Thu 29th Aug 2019 RudimentalBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2019 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Celine Dion, J...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Jul 2019 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Stevie Wonder,...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Mon 8th Jul 2019 to Mon 19th Aug 2019 MK, Ibiza RocksBuy Tickets