Brian Wilson Live Review @ The Sage (Gateshead) - 12 Jul 2009
Folks, this is only bloody Brian Wilson, ingnue, legend, hero, healed survivor the man who created the soundtrack to a generation and is now rightly recognized, in this late career crest as The Governor. The bad days are behind him and tonights band is The Wondermints, so talented they make you sick! Guitars, bass, keyboards, xylophone, drums, percussion, and saxI counted 11 players on stage and they all sing like angels. Brian says theyre the best hes ever worked with, and to Paul McCartney, theyre the best touring band in the world its nice that they both agree with me!
The heavenly vocal harmony sound that came from Wilsons vision and creativity opens the show and the familiar, loping rhythm of the eternal, forever-young California Girls clippity-clops into life and we are already in rapture, all just so damned pleased for Brian that the feel-good factor here is so tangible, so strong that it is a physical, shared thing that belongs to everyone in Hall One tonight. A new (to me) song Girl Dont Tell Me kinda reminds me of Jackie de Shannons Every Time That You Walk In The Room and theres nothing wrong with that Brian has always openly acknowledged and celebrated other great talents, as this evening will confirm. And here we go pure hot, sunny summer romance in 7 minutes with the chiming My Little Girl, and all the Hawaiian shirt wearers (they look like an explosion in a paint factory) are in seventh heaven with Dance, Dance, Dance (Chuck Berry with surf) tonight were going to dance like its 1965. Surfer Girl, sweet and cool as the gentle Venice Beach sea breeze: In My Room how could he create something so beautiful, in both conception and execution, from such terrible experiences? Singing their sandals off, Salt Lake City is rock n roll with hydrogen vocals and honking sax, and a whole shitload of girls and cars anthems include Custom Machine, Desert Drive, Little Deuce Coupe, Fun Fun Fun (you know, the one about her daddy taking the T Bird away). Brian Wilson writes a masterpiece in time I take to make a cup of tea.
This is such a slick, gifted band that keeps the pace moving, classic followed by bigger classic, this was an emotional night, hearing The Man performread and be amazed by this heritageheart-stopping Dont Worry Baby (a work of art); I Get Around (a total rhythmic triumph); Sail on Sailor with a screaming Fender Strat solo; Do It Again (slow build up, drums, then bassIm running out of superlatives..); And Then I Kissed Her (Phil Spector makes contact with sax heaven); When I Grow Up To Be A Man (a lasting masterpiece ); All Summer Long (paradoxical that a guy thats had such a crap time brightens so many lives with the words fun and summer); Do You Want To Dance (sheer celebration of youth that pisses all over Cliffs Home Counties boy-next-door version); Sloop John B (the whole house singing and rolling). Friends, you would kill me if I didnt tell you all about Wouldnt It Be Nice (glorious perfection,a masterclass in everything, Brian conducting, as he did all night, from stage front-centre); God Only Knows (a spiritual in all but name, Im amazed at what these folks can achieve live on stage this makes a mockery of the instant pop star, just add ignorance, rubbish that pollutes our media).
Of the more reflective newer material, Going Home (At 25 I turned out the light cos I couldn't handle the glare in my tired eyes) and Southern California come in shades of grey, melancholy operas for modern times after all, it does sometimes seem it rains in Southern California. The home stretch gave even more treasures does it get any better than Good Vibrations (thats a rhetorical question and the answer is a loud no, it doesnt, and euphoric is the only word that comes to my feeble mind), Help Me Rhonda sweeps the room like a Mexican wave and with the crazy call-and-response party that is Barbara Ann, they can hear us singing on the other side of the North Sea in Bergen. Fun Fun Fun, just like The Man says.
The encore has Brian and keyboards only, with Love and Mercy comes from the heart of a man that just wasnt made for these times God bless you Brian Wilson. You can take me now Lord, after tonight, Im good to go.
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 Brian WilsonDoncaster Racecourse (Doncaster)Buy Tickets
- Sun 19th Aug 2018 Edinburgh Summer Sessions, Brian WilsonPrinces Street Gardens (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st Aug 2018 and Wed 22nd Aug 2018 Brian WilsonVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Skyline Series: Brian Wilson - Pet SoundsThe Arena (Digbeth)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th Aug 2018 Brian Wilson: Greatest HitsRoyal Windsor Racecourse (Windsor)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 to Sat 20th Oct 2018 Disney Presents the Lion KingBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 to Sat 30th Jun 2018 Rufus Wainwright, Nerina PallotBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 and Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Sheryl CrowBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 Hampton Court Palace Festival, Tom JonesHampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Judie TzukeLowdham Village Hall (Lowdham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 and Fri 12th Oct 2018 Kiki DeeBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 to Sat 18th Aug 2018 Paloma FaithBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 to Thu 28th Jun 2018 Elvis CostelloBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Fanfare and Fireworks: Hampton Court Palace Festival, Tom Jones, Royal Philharmonic...Hampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)More Info..
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Let's Rock Scotland, Billy Ocean, Marc Almond, Tony Hadley, ...Dalkeith Country Park (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Tue 26th Jun 2018 to Sat 7th Jul 2018 Roger Waters: Us and ThemBuy Tickets
- Tue 26th Jun 2018 and Wed 27th Jun 2018 The Rhythm KingsBuy Tickets
- Wed 27th Jun 2018 Hamish StuartSpiritland (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 Mike MasséUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 The Brighton Beach BoysThe Brunswick (Hove)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 Sweet BabooThe Castle Emporium (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 Love Supreme Festival, Elvis Costello, Pharoah Sanders, Leve...Glynde Place (Lewes)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 Paul CarrackThe Pig Somerset (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Jul 2018 Love Supreme Festival, Earth Wind and Fire, George Clinton, ...Glynde Place (Lewes)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Jul 2018 Community Festival, Two Door Cinema Club, The Vaccines, You ...Finsbury Park (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Mon 2nd Jul 2018 and Tue 3rd Jul 2018 Rufus WainwrightBuy Tickets
- Mon 2nd Jul 2018 and Tue 3rd Jul 2018 John Hiatt, Sonny LandrethBuy Tickets
- Mon 2nd Jul 2018 Steve WinwoodThe Bridgewater Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 4th Jul 2018 Sounds of the City, Rag N Bone ManCastlefield Bowl (Castlefield)Buy Tickets
- Wed 4th Jul 2018 Greenwich Music Time, Tom JonesOld Royal Naval College (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Thu 5th Jul 2018 Mouth of the Tyne Festival, Paloma FaithTynemouth Priory and Castle (Tyne and Wear)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Roger WatersHyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 Sounds of the City, Paul Heaton, Jacqui Abbott, Elvis Costel...Castlefield Bowl (Castlefield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 to Sun 22nd Jul 2018 Tom JonesBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 to Wed 11th Jul 2018 Burt BacharachBuy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 The Cure, Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Inte...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets