Brian Wilson Live Review @ The Sage (Gateshead) - 12 Jul 2009
Folks, this is only bloody Brian Wilson, ingnue, legend, hero, healed survivor the man who created the soundtrack to a generation and is now rightly recognized, in this late career crest as The Governor. The bad days are behind him and tonights band is The Wondermints, so talented they make you sick! Guitars, bass, keyboards, xylophone, drums, percussion, and saxI counted 11 players on stage and they all sing like angels. Brian says theyre the best hes ever worked with, and to Paul McCartney, theyre the best touring band in the world its nice that they both agree with me!
The heavenly vocal harmony sound that came from Wilsons vision and creativity opens the show and the familiar, loping rhythm of the eternal, forever-young California Girls clippity-clops into life and we are already in rapture, all just so damned pleased for Brian that the feel-good factor here is so tangible, so strong that it is a physical, shared thing that belongs to everyone in Hall One tonight. A new (to me) song Girl Dont Tell Me kinda reminds me of Jackie de Shannons Every Time That You Walk In The Room and theres nothing wrong with that Brian has always openly acknowledged and celebrated other great talents, as this evening will confirm. And here we go pure hot, sunny summer romance in 7 minutes with the chiming My Little Girl, and all the Hawaiian shirt wearers (they look like an explosion in a paint factory) are in seventh heaven with Dance, Dance, Dance (Chuck Berry with surf) tonight were going to dance like its 1965. Surfer Girl, sweet and cool as the gentle Venice Beach sea breeze: In My Room how could he create something so beautiful, in both conception and execution, from such terrible experiences? Singing their sandals off, Salt Lake City is rock n roll with hydrogen vocals and honking sax, and a whole shitload of girls and cars anthems include Custom Machine, Desert Drive, Little Deuce Coupe, Fun Fun Fun (you know, the one about her daddy taking the T Bird away). Brian Wilson writes a masterpiece in time I take to make a cup of tea.
This is such a slick, gifted band that keeps the pace moving, classic followed by bigger classic, this was an emotional night, hearing The Man performread and be amazed by this heritageheart-stopping Dont Worry Baby (a work of art); I Get Around (a total rhythmic triumph); Sail on Sailor with a screaming Fender Strat solo; Do It Again (slow build up, drums, then bassIm running out of superlatives..); And Then I Kissed Her (Phil Spector makes contact with sax heaven); When I Grow Up To Be A Man (a lasting masterpiece ); All Summer Long (paradoxical that a guy thats had such a crap time brightens so many lives with the words fun and summer); Do You Want To Dance (sheer celebration of youth that pisses all over Cliffs Home Counties boy-next-door version); Sloop John B (the whole house singing and rolling). Friends, you would kill me if I didnt tell you all about Wouldnt It Be Nice (glorious perfection,a masterclass in everything, Brian conducting, as he did all night, from stage front-centre); God Only Knows (a spiritual in all but name, Im amazed at what these folks can achieve live on stage this makes a mockery of the instant pop star, just add ignorance, rubbish that pollutes our media).
Of the more reflective newer material, Going Home (At 25 I turned out the light cos I couldn't handle the glare in my tired eyes) and Southern California come in shades of grey, melancholy operas for modern times after all, it does sometimes seem it rains in Southern California. The home stretch gave even more treasures does it get any better than Good Vibrations (thats a rhetorical question and the answer is a loud no, it doesnt, and euphoric is the only word that comes to my feeble mind), Help Me Rhonda sweeps the room like a Mexican wave and with the crazy call-and-response party that is Barbara Ann, they can hear us singing on the other side of the North Sea in Bergen. Fun Fun Fun, just like The Man says.
The encore has Brian and keyboards only, with Love and Mercy comes from the heart of a man that just wasnt made for these times God bless you Brian Wilson. You can take me now Lord, after tonight, Im good to go.
You may be interested in
- Tue 12th Dec 2017 to Fri 11th May 2018 Disney Presents the Lion KingBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th Dec 2017 Let's Rock Christmas - The Retro Show, Tony Hadley, Kim Wild...Wembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Dec 2017 The Haçienda: The Warehouse Project, Danny Tenaglia, Todd Terry, Kevin Sau...WHP Store Street (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Jan 2018 and Mon 15th Jan 2018 Robbie McIntoshBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Jan 2018 to Fri 30th Mar 2018 Go West, Nik Kershaw, Cutting CrewBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Jan 2018 to Fri 20th Jul 2018 The Rocket Man [Elton John tribute]Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jan 2018 to Wed 28th Feb 2018 The Classic Rock ShowBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jan 2018 to Sat 24th Mar 2018 Paul CarrackBuy Tickets
- Tue 6th Feb 2018 to Sat 17th Feb 2018 The Lovely EggsBuy Tickets
- Sat 10th Feb 2018 Transatlantic Sessions, Jerry Douglas, Aly Bain, Suzy Boggus...Symphony Hall (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Feb 2018 Justin RobertsonThe Golden Lion - Todmorden (Calderdale)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Feb 2018 to Fri 1st Mar 2019 Judie TzukeBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 Pure McCartney, Tony CoburnNight People (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Tue 6th Mar 2018 D'Angelo, Pino Palladino, Omar: D'TOUREventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 and Fri 18th May 2018 Gerry McAvoyBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Mar 2018 Bright Light Bright LightWaterfront (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Mar 2018 to Sun 13th May 2018 Albert LeeBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Apr 2018 Attic LightsSneaky Pete's (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sun 15th Apr 2018 Sonny Landreth229 the venue - Great Portland Street (Marylebone)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 and Sat 16th Jun 2018 The Beach BoysBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Kiki DeeThe Greystones (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Tue 26th Jun 2018 to Sat 7th Jul 2018 Roger Waters: Us and ThemBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Roger WatersHyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 Sounds of the City, Paul Heaton, Jacqui Abbott, Elvis Costel...Castlefield Bowl (Castlefield)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Eric Clapton, ...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 Michael Bublé, Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyd...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Bruno Mars, Kh...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th Sep 2018 Dionne WarwickSt David's Hall (Cardiff)On SaleFri 15th Decat 9am
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 Andy Fairweather LowSt John's Church - Farncombe (Godalming)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 Kiki Dee, Carmelo LuggeriSt John's Church - Farncombe (Godalming)Buy Tickets