Curiouser - Kate Miller-Heidke Album Review
'Curiouser' displays a strange mix of musical styles ranging from Cheesy pop to Dance and Indie. Kate has already achieved success with her first album 'Little Eve' in her home country of Australia therefore the pressure was on to produce a second album which achieved a similar level of success.
The first half of the album is without doubt the strongest. 'Caught in the crowd' being in my opinion the best on the record with its melodic storytelling pop manner. This is followed by 'Can't shake it' which sounds like a slightly less annoying version of a Lady GaGa song. The electro-pop track does however exhibit a far better sense of humour with lines like 'Tried moving my body to the latest hit, someone called the nurse thought I was having a fit'.
From track 6, 'I like you better when you're not around', the album starts to loose some of its dynamic. A similar track may have resulted if Regina Spektor was to loose some of her edge and then gain an unhealthy obsession in Avril Lavinge and Mika albums with the slightly painful use of high pitch vocals. The following songs include 'Supergirl' and 'No truck' which are upbeat and catchy however mildly repetitive.
On a positive, this is a theatrical and cheerful album which may be warmly received by a young teenage audience. It exhibits a wide range of musical influences and I can easily envisage it being on the soundtrack of American teen television programmes such as One Tree Hill.
You may be interested in
- Fri 27th Oct 2017 to Thu 2nd Nov 2017 Celtic WomanBuy Tickets
- Tue 21st Nov 2017 to Sun 2nd Sep 2018 G4Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th Nov 2017 to Thu 14th Dec 2017 Michael Ball, Alfie Boe: Together AgainBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Dec 2017 to Sun 17th Dec 2017 Only Men AloudBuy Tickets
- Mon 4th Dec 2017 to Sat 23rd Dec 2017 Raymond Gubbay Christmas Festival: Russell WatsonBuy Tickets
- Wed 6th Dec 2017 to Tue 19th Dec 2017 The PriestsBuy Tickets
- Mon 4th Jun 2018 Jonathan Ansell, Rhydian RobertsAssembly Hall Theatre (Tunbridge Wells)Buy Tickets