Nice Boys - Amy Studt Single Review
You may recognise Amy Studt from her hit singles Just a Little Girl and Misfit, released in 2002 and 2003. (If these titles and years dont ring a bell, listening to the tracks themselves will probably bring something back. Youtube her. Go on. Right after you finish reading this review.) Amy was then dropped from her record label when her debut album, False Smiles, produced disappointing sales. Since then, Amys kept herself to herself, touring occasionally, most notably with Razorlight under the alias of Jane Wails.
Nice Boys is Amys most recent release since Chasing the Light in March last year. (Dont remember it? Thats because it reached UK chart position 277.) The start of the track is slight and is reminiscent of the delicate beginning of Just a Little Girl. It is at this point that you notice the distinctive bird song of Studts voice.
As the track progresses, there is a feeling of increasing excitement as more layers of voices pitter-patter their way through and add to the pace. The ball carries on rolling faster and faster until it reaches the gutsy chorus which utterly consumes you as the dainty tones of Amy surround you.
Whereas other songs of any pace seem to run and gallop along, Nice Boys is far more majestic. The gradual introduction and layering builds up and up until the chorus is reached when it feels like the track is actually taking off. The sensation of flying is so beautifully created that the verses glide and the choruses soar. You can almost feel the air rushing past your ears.
When Amy was just a wee nipper, barely a teenager, her lyrics were rather predictably about a youth rebelling which, as the chart positions will show, was not necessarily a bad thing. Now that she has grown to the ripe old age of 22 (I use the term old loosely), the lyrics too seem to have grown in maturity. The tunes still remain as fresh and poppy as Amys first release which is what is so interesting. The track shouldnt work: it juxtaposes an elegant voice with really quite angry and fed up lyrics that would be typical of a sour old fish wife. But it does work.
There is no doubt over what the track is called: the words nice boys are repeated 41 times and the message, nice boys finish last, 27 times. This is what worries me. The track is a tad repetitive. Now this isnt too much cause for concern as the song is ever so catchy and so the repetition probably wont do too much damage. However, not only is the track repetitive in itself, but it is very similar to Amys earlier work. That was a huge success in the early noughties, but now the decade has aged. Maybe now its too old to be listening to this kind of pop. Maybe it shouldve left home by now. Maybe it wants something new.
The other songs that come on the CD are two different remixes, each with their own edit, and an instrumental. The remixes are good and will probably get the crowd going at a night club, but it is unlikely that you will prefer them to the single itself. The instrumental is just that: Nice Boys, sans the lyrics. Lovely, but a bit boring.
Personally, I like the track; its a nice little song. The layers of Amys graceful voice dazzle but the cleverly rhymed lyrics stop it from becoming overpoweringly sweet. It sparkles, but is not mundanely overwhelming: a black diamond of a track. Buy this song and you will find yourself listening to it obsessively over and over again, wondering how you ever lived without it. But, come a month or two, you will have found a new song and Nice Boys will slowly drop out of your Top 25 Most Played playlist on iTunes. You may come back to it, you may not. Either way, Nice Boys is a good, well-produced song, but its not an anthem.
You may be interested in
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Tue 5th Jun 2018 Gary Barlow, KT TunstallBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 to Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Gary BarlowBuy Tickets
- Tue 5th Jun 2018 to Sat 9th Jun 2018 Hampton Court Palace Festival, Lionel RichieBuy Tickets
- Wed 6th Jun 2018 Eden Sessions, Gary BarlowThe Eden Project (Cornwall)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jun 2018 and Thu 14th Jun 2018 Forest Live, The ScriptBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 and Sat 9th Jun 2018 Gary Barlow, Forest LiveBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 to Sat 30th Jun 2018 Forest Live, Paul Heaton, Jacqui Abbott, Billy BraggBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 Hampton Court Palace Festival, Paloma FaithHampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Jun 2018 Kasabian, Forest LiveThetford Forest (Suffolk)Buy Tickets
- Tue 12th Jun 2018 Hampton Court Palace Festival, Joe BonamassaHampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Jun 2018 Hampton Court Palace Festival, Jools Holland and his Rhythm ...Hampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Jun 2018 Nocturne Live, Chic, Nile Rodgers, Soul II Soul, MF RobotsBlenheim Palace (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 and Sat 16th Jun 2018 Hampton Court Palace Festival, The Beach BoysBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 and Sat 16th Jun 2018 Eden Sessions, Massive Attack, Young FathersBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 Nocturne Live, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, The CoralBlenheim Palace (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 Nocturne Live, Elvis Costello, The Waterboys, Nick LoweBlenheim Palace (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Jun 2018 Nocturne Live, Gary Barlow, Rumer, Ferris and SylvesterBlenheim Palace (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Jun 2018 and Sun 1st Jul 2018 Forest Live, George EzraBuy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 and Wed 20th Jun 2018 Hampton Court Palace Festival, Gary BarlowBuy Tickets
- Wed 20th Jun 2018 Eden Sessions, BjörkThe Eden Project (Cornwall)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 Hampton Court Palace Festival, Tom JonesHampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 to Fri 27th Jul 2018 Lee MeadBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Fanfare and Fireworks: Hampton Court Palace Festival, Tom Jones, Royal Philharmonic...Hampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Thu 5th Jul 2018 Eden Sessions, Jack JohnsonThe Eden Project (Cornwall)Buy Tickets
- Tue 30th Oct 2018 to Sat 8th Jun 2019 Calendar GirlsBuy Tickets