Evolved - Martyn Joseph Album Review
Proud valley boy shineswith Dragon tales aplenty, and more.
Hands up! Im a proud Welshman, so its tough being objective on this one. Ill try.
A few years ago, Martyn Joseph was dropped by Sony it beggars belief. Must be regretting it, though they did benefit from five Top 50 UK singles. Now Joseph gets his chance to prove them outrageously wrong.
Evolved, released on his own label, is littered with dazzling acoustic based songs, though tagged as the Welsh Bruce Springsteen, is slightly off the- mark. Billy Bragg more like.
Josephs passion (hes Welsh you know, living in Cardiff) is only matched by Rhyls very own Mike Peters, of The Alarm. Not many singer - songwriters (without a band) can create what Martyn has delivered here. In fact, a band would diminish and spoil the whole thing.
Martyn has one magic touch passion and as you go through the songs, it just intensifies, peaking on the tragic events of Dic Penderyn, the Welsh working class hero Richard Lewis (1808 1831), associated with the Merthyr Rising. This wordy Taff has plenty of gushing lyrics to please all-comers as well, because he can spread his observations, biographical and autobiographical templates world-wide, with Arizona Dreams a prime example, using some deft harmonica-play giving it a genuine Americana rootsy feel.
Its his home-grown interests which bring the best results, and the fact this wonderful tunesmith reveals his soul, not as per usual, through his eyes, but his lyrics, found in particular on poignant Sing To My Soul, about the tragic Aberfan disaster, in which 114 people were killed, including 116 children.
Its a melodic beauty that opens the CD though- Kiss The World Beautiful, while jewel in the crown is the stunning Cant Breathe. This most filigree of ballads is enough draw tears, with Have An Angel, coming a close second best. If Turn Me Tender doesnt turn you into jelly, well, nothing will. Closing a great album, he drools about his love affair with Cardiff Bay, hoping the great city will love him too, which Im sure it does.
Okay, so the songs have been released before across various albums, but not in this format, hence, Evolved, and how.
Martyn tours extensively, in the USA and Canada, and you can catch him at Caernarfons Galeri this Sunday 16 November and Chesters Telfords Warehouse on 25 November. (See website for details)
File under: Its a winner.
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 Martyn JosephThe Greystones (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 Martyn JosephThe Corn Exchange - Faringdon (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Tue 4th Dec 2018 Martyn JosephTelford's Warehouse (Chester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 16th Jan 2019 Martyn JosephBand on the Wall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 Martyn JosephCaroline Street Social Club/ Live Room (Shipley)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th Jan 2019 Martyn JosephThe Brook (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th May 2019 Martyn JosephSt Giles Parish Church (Wrexham)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 to Sat 30th Mar 2019 Seth LakemanBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 to Wed 22nd May 2019 Show of HandsBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 to Sat 1st Jun 2019 Luke JacksonBuy Tickets
- Sun 16th Dec 2018 to Fri 1st Mar 2019 Phil BeerBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Dec 2018 The Albion BandKings Place (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Jan 2019 to Fri 24th May 2019 TV SmithBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Feb 2019 to Thu 13th Jun 2019 Steve KnightleyBuy Tickets
- Thu 28th Mar 2019 Feast of FiddlesExeter Corn Exchange (St George's Hall) (Exeter)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2019 CoCo and the Butterfields, Sam Kelly and the Lost Boys, Seth...Ireby - Miscellaneous Venues (Cumbria)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2019 to Mon 7th Dec 2020 Elton John: Farewell Yellow Brick RoadBuy Tickets