Evolved - Martyn Joseph Album Review
Proud 'valley boy' shines...with Dragon tales aplenty, and more.
Hands up! I'm a proud Welshman, so it's tough being objective on this one. I'll try.
A few years ago, Martyn Joseph was dropped by Sony -it beggars belief. Must be regretting it, though they did benefit from five Top 50 UK singles. Now Joseph gets his chance to prove them outrageously wrong.
'Evolved', released on his own label, is littered with dazzling acoustic based songs, though tagged as the Welsh Bruce Springsteen, is slightly off -the- mark. Billy Bragg more like.
Joseph's passion (he's Welsh you know, living in Cardiff) is only matched by Rhyl's very own Mike Peters, of The Alarm. Not many singer - songwriters (without a band) can create what Martyn has delivered here. In fact, a band would diminish and spoil the whole thing.
Martyn has one magic touch - passion - and as you go through the songs, it just intensifies, peaking on the tragic events of Dic Penderyn, the Welsh working class hero Richard Lewis (1808 - 1831), associated with the Merthyr Rising. This wordy Taff has plenty of gushing lyrics to please all-comers as well, because he can spread his observations, biographical and autobiographical templates world-wide, with Arizona Dreams a prime example, using some deft harmonica-play giving it a genuine Americana rootsy feel.
It's his home-grown interests which bring the best results, and the fact this wonderful tunesmith reveals his soul, not as per usual, through his eyes, but his lyrics, found in particular on poignant Sing To My Soul, about the tragic Aberfan disaster, in which 114 people were killed, including 116 children.
It's a melodic beauty that opens the CD though- Kiss The World Beautiful, while jewel in the crown is the stunning Can't Breathe. This most filigree of ballads is enough draw tears, with Have An Angel..., coming a close second best. If Turn Me Tender doesn't turn you into jelly, well, nothing will. Closing a great album, he drools about his love affair with Cardiff Bay, hoping the great city will love him too, which I'm sure it does.
Okay, so the songs have been released before across various albums, but not in this format, hence, Evolved, and how.
Martyn tours extensively, in the USA and Canada, and you can catch him at Caernarfon's Galeri this Sunday 16 November and Chester's Telfords Warehouse on 25 November. (See website for details)
File under: It's a winner.
- Sat 4th Jun 2016 Martyn JosephBackstage at the Green Hotel (Kinross)Buy Tickets
- Wed 8th Jun 2016 Martyn JosephThe Biddulph Arms (Stoke-on-Trent)Buy Tickets
- Sat 11th Jun 2016 Martyn JosephKingskerswell Parish Church (Newton Abbot)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Jun 2016 Martyn JosephCaroline Street Social Club (Shipley)Buy Tickets
- Wed 9th Nov 2016 Martyn JosephDarwen Library Theatre (Blackburn)Buy Tickets
- Thu 17th Nov 2016 Martyn JosephThe Convent (Stroud)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 27th May 2016 CoCo and the Butterfields, Kate Rusby, Luke JacksonIreby - Miscellaneous Venues (Cumbria)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th May 2016 Tunes in the Dunes, James Morrison, Seth Lakeman, Ella Eyre,...Perranporth Beach (Cornwall)Buy Tickets
- Fri 10th Jun 2016 to Sat 3rd Dec 2016 Elton JohnBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jul 2016 The Members, TV SmithThe Continental (Preston)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th Jul 2016 Summer Days Festival, Simply Red, Gabrielle, The Christians,...Clitheroe Castle (Clitheroe)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jul 2016 Summer Days Festival, Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues ...Clitheroe Castle (Clitheroe)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jul 2016 Summer Days FestivalClitheroe Castle (Clitheroe)More Info..
- Thu 21st Jul 2016 and Fri 25th Nov 2016 Show of HandsBuy Tickets
- Sat 27th Aug 2016 Tom RobinsonBrudenell Social (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Sep 2016 and Thu 27th Oct 2016 Luke JacksonBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Sep 2016 to Sat 17th Dec 2016 Seth LakemanBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Sep 2016 and Thu 2nd Feb 2017 Phil BeerBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Oct 2016 TV SmithWestgarth Social Club (Middlesbrough)Buy Tickets
- Thu 15th Dec 2016 The Albion BandBand on the Wall (Manchester)Buy Tickets