Evolved - Martyn Joseph Album Review
Proud 'valley boy' shines…with Dragon tales aplenty, and more.
Hands up! I'm a proud Welshman, so it's tough being objective on this one. I'll try.
A few years ago, Martyn Joseph was dropped by Sony –it beggars belief. Must be regretting it, though they did benefit from five Top 50 UK singles. Now Joseph gets his chance to prove them outrageously wrong.
'Evolved', released on his own label, is littered with dazzling acoustic based songs, though tagged as the Welsh Bruce Springsteen, is slightly off –the- mark. Billy Bragg more like.
Joseph's passion (he's Welsh you know, living in Cardiff) is only matched by Rhyl's very own Mike Peters, of The Alarm. Not many singer - songwriters (without a band) can create what Martyn has delivered here. In fact, a band would diminish and spoil the whole thing.
Martyn has one magic touch – passion – and as you go through the songs, it just intensifies, peaking on the tragic events of Dic Penderyn, the Welsh working class hero Richard Lewis (1808 – 1831), associated with the Merthyr Rising. This wordy Taff has plenty of gushing lyrics to please all-comers as well, because he can spread his observations, biographical and autobiographical templates world-wide, with Arizona Dreams a prime example, using some deft harmonica-play giving it a genuine Americana rootsy feel.
It's his home-grown interests which bring the best results, and the fact this wonderful tunesmith reveals his soul, not as per usual, through his eyes, but his lyrics, found in particular on poignant Sing To My Soul, about the tragic Aberfan disaster, in which 114 people were killed, including 116 children.
It's a melodic beauty that opens the CD though- Kiss The World Beautiful, while jewel in the crown is the stunning Can't Breathe. This most filigree of ballads is enough draw tears, with Have An Angel…, coming a close second best. If Turn Me Tender doesn't turn you into jelly, well, nothing will. Closing a great album, he drools about his love affair with Cardiff Bay, hoping the great city will love him too, which I'm sure it does.
Okay, so the songs have been released before across various albums, but not in this format, hence, Evolved, and how.
Martyn tours extensively, in the USA and Canada, and you can catch him at Caernarfon's Galeri this Sunday 16 November and Chester's Telfords Warehouse on 25 November. (See website for details)
File under: It's a winner.
- Sat 4th Nov 2017 Martyn JosephTiddy Hall - Ascott-Under-Wychwood (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 5th Nov 2017 Martyn JosephCanterbury Cathedral/ International Study Centre/ Lodge (Canterbury)Buy Tickets
- Sun 12th Nov 2017 Martyn JosephChapel Arts Centre (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Nov 2017 Martyn JosephVillage Hall Hutton Rudby (Yarm)Buy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Nov 2017 Martyn JosephThe Red Lion (Kings Heath)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th Nov 2017 Martyn JosephThe Greystones (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 18th Aug 2017 to Sun 20th Aug 2017 Rewind South - The 80's FestivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Aug 2017 to Sun 27th Aug 2017 Shrewsbury Folk FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sun 27th Aug 2017 Eric Bibb, Rye International Jazz and Blues FestivalSt Mary's Church - Rye (Sussex)Buy Tickets
- Mon 28th Aug 2017 Seth Lakeman, Rye International Jazz and Blues FestivalSt Mary's Church - Rye (Sussex)Buy Tickets
- Mon 28th Aug 2017 and Fri 17th Nov 2017 Grace PetrieBuy Tickets
- Mon 4th Sep 2017 and Wed 18th Oct 2017 Greg Russell and Ciaran AlgarBuy Tickets
- Mon 4th Sep 2017 to Wed 6th Dec 2017 Phil BeerBuy Tickets
- Thu 7th Sep 2017 to Wed 15th Nov 2017 Luke JacksonBuy Tickets
- Sat 9th Sep 2017 Tom Robinson, Angelic Upstarts, Ruts DC, Geno Washington, Ed...Dreamland (Margate)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Sep 2017 and Fri 22nd Sep 2017 Jamie Smith's MabonBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Sep 2017 TV SmithDulcimer (Chorlton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Sep 2017 John KirkpatrickThe Pack O' Cards (Ilfracombe)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Sep 2017 to Mon 23rd Oct 2017 Sam CarterBuy Tickets
- Sun 1st Oct 2017 Mick RyanPark Golf Club (Southport)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Oct 2017 to Fri 1st Dec 2017 O'Hooley & TidowBuy Tickets
- Tue 10th Oct 2017 to Fri 8th Dec 2017 Tom RobinsonBuy Tickets
- Wed 11th Oct 2017 FaustusKings Place (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Thu 12th Oct 2017 to Sun 22nd Oct 2017 Andy Fairweather LowBuy Tickets
- Mon 6th Nov 2017 to Fri 17th Nov 2017 Lady MaiseryBuy Tickets
- Mon 6th Nov 2017 to Wed 13th Dec 2017 Jim MorayBuy Tickets
- Tue 7th Nov 2017 to Sun 26th Nov 2017 OysterbandBuy Tickets
- Tue 7th Nov 2017 and Mon 18th Jun 2018 Nancy KerrBuy Tickets
- Thu 9th Nov 2017 Show of Hands, London Folk and Roots FestivalUnion Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Nov 2017 GBH, Subhumans, TV SmithJohn Fowler Holiday Park (Ilfracombe)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Nov 2017 to Sat 25th Nov 2017 Jon BodenBuy Tickets
- Thu 30th Nov 2017 and Fri 1st Dec 2017 Show of HandsBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Dec 2017 The Unthanks, Army of Generals, Charles Hazlewood: OrchestralChetham's School of Music (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Dec 2017 The UnthanksThe Sage (Gateshead)Buy Tickets
- Mon 18th Dec 2017 The Albion BandHanger Farm Arts Centre (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jan 2018 and Wed 7th Feb 2018 Steve KnightleyBuy Tickets
- Fri 11th May 2018 Chris DiffordSt John's Church - Farncombe (Godalming)Buy Tickets