Evolved - Martyn Joseph Album Review
Proud valley boy shineswith Dragon tales aplenty, and more.
Hands up! Im a proud Welshman, so its tough being objective on this one. Ill try.
A few years ago, Martyn Joseph was dropped by Sony it beggars belief. Must be regretting it, though they did benefit from five Top 50 UK singles. Now Joseph gets his chance to prove them outrageously wrong.
Evolved, released on his own label, is littered with dazzling acoustic based songs, though tagged as the Welsh Bruce Springsteen, is slightly off the- mark. Billy Bragg more like.
Josephs passion (hes Welsh you know, living in Cardiff) is only matched by Rhyls very own Mike Peters, of The Alarm. Not many singer - songwriters (without a band) can create what Martyn has delivered here. In fact, a band would diminish and spoil the whole thing.
Martyn has one magic touch passion and as you go through the songs, it just intensifies, peaking on the tragic events of Dic Penderyn, the Welsh working class hero Richard Lewis (1808 1831), associated with the Merthyr Rising. This wordy Taff has plenty of gushing lyrics to please all-comers as well, because he can spread his observations, biographical and autobiographical templates world-wide, with Arizona Dreams a prime example, using some deft harmonica-play giving it a genuine Americana rootsy feel.
Its his home-grown interests which bring the best results, and the fact this wonderful tunesmith reveals his soul, not as per usual, through his eyes, but his lyrics, found in particular on poignant Sing To My Soul, about the tragic Aberfan disaster, in which 114 people were killed, including 116 children.
Its a melodic beauty that opens the CD though- Kiss The World Beautiful, while jewel in the crown is the stunning Cant Breathe. This most filigree of ballads is enough draw tears, with Have An Angel, coming a close second best. If Turn Me Tender doesnt turn you into jelly, well, nothing will. Closing a great album, he drools about his love affair with Cardiff Bay, hoping the great city will love him too, which Im sure it does.
Okay, so the songs have been released before across various albums, but not in this format, hence, Evolved, and how.
Martyn tours extensively, in the USA and Canada, and you can catch him at Caernarfons Galeri this Sunday 16 November and Chesters Telfords Warehouse on 25 November. (See website for details)
File under: Its a winner.
You may be interested in
- Wed 28th Feb 2018 and Fri 9th Mar 2018 Steve KnightleyBuy Tickets
- Sun 4th Mar 2018 to Thu 15th Mar 2018 Phil BeerBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Mar 2018 to Sat 21st Apr 2018 TV SmithBuy Tickets
- Wed 11th Apr 2018 Feast of FiddlesExeter Corn Exchange (St George's Hall) (Exeter)Buy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Apr 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 Show of HandsBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Apr 2018 Angelic Upstarts, The Vibrators, TV SmithWarehouse 23 (Wakefield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th May 2018 to Sat 27th Oct 2018 Tom RobinsonBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Bearded Theory Festival, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Coral...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 The Bath Festival, Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation, I...: 70th Anniversary Finale WeekendThe Recreation Ground (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 and Thu 6th Dec 2018 Luke JacksonBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2019 and Thu 13th Jun 2019 Elton John: Farewell TourBuy Tickets