A Wretched Sinners Song - Songdog Album Review
Reflective + confessional + emotive + imaginative + poetic = masterpiece.
It may sound profound, but this is THE most beautiful album Ive ever heard, despite its sad overtones.
Let me introduce you to Songdogs A Wretched Sinners Song. Songdog is the brainchild of Welshman Lyndon Morgans, long-time relocated to London. This is the bands fourth album following 2005s critically acclaimed The Time Of Summer Lightning, and from all accounts, their best to date. To my ears, musically, it rings of Mike Scotts Waterboys late period. The quality of songs is quite breathtaking, provided by Morgans (vocals / acoustic guitar) Welshman Karl Woodward (electric guitar / keys / harmonica / banjo / mandolin) and Dundees Dave Paterson (accordion / drums / tables / keys) and others.Its not a pop album per se, but one that could be considered a musos album. I suggest doing a few rotations initially, to enjoy the mournfully-tinged tunes. Then get stuck into the poetry in motion. Youll be back for more, guaranteed. For the record, Morgans biog cites a love of literature: a playwright and Samuel Beckett obsessive, which probably accounts for this wordy collection spanning 27 tracks under Act 1 : Love Lust and Act 2 : Love Lost. Because of the two acts, it does smack of musical theatre or concept album. In a nutshell, its about drifters, drunks, psychotics, sad loners and dreamers. In an exclusive interview, Morgans revealed, I didnt start with the idea of any concept in mind, I just wrote the songs over a two-year period and they just happened to be about the things I always write about love, lust, betrayal, disappointment, nostalgia, failure and so on, and only after they were recorded and mixed did the idea of Love Lust / Love Lost occur.
According to Morgans, the characters are composites of people he knows, has known, heard or read about, a bit of himself and his imagination. The devil pops up quite a bit too, as youll find out.
It begins with gripping emotional Rubens Tattoo, the story of a mermaid tattoo longing to go to sea. It sucks you in immediately, set to a gypsy-like musical template. Morgans emotional singing is instantly engaging, making you want to seek out more, which is Crown Of Thorns, a tune hed stored since 10 years ago. This nifty melancholic ballad is essentially about a guy losing his babe to a rock singer at a gig. He tries to hold her back but, But she heads for the back, up by the sound desk somewhere.Shes going backstage to meet the band. Jewel in a very large crown is Owls. Satan falls in love with a human, which set in the valleys of South Wales. The tale unfolds to some Greek-like music, and its breathtaking. Jaunty A Prayer To Idols, featuring accordion and mandolin, has flashes of French influences texturising the story of lost love, while Morgans years for his youth. References include the CD packshot picture of a local pond in his native Blackwood where his girlfriend, swam like a mermaid right round Keepers Pond.
Opening Love Lost, they give a big nod to Americana. The gorgeous Pilgrim Hill bursts to a cool shuffle with reflective lyrics harking back to Morgans favourite things: second -hand book stores, NME, glam rock, dusk, and snow. She Lets Me In By The Back Door is Morgans favourite here. Its a self-mocking song with sweeping strings, acoustic guitar and occasional piano - She saw the picture in my passport, we both laughed at my moustache. After Owls, Just Another Night In Limbo comes as the second best song here. Morgans digs deep, touching on a Dylan / Scott vocal. It plods quietly, broken by bursts of harmonica, stick shuffles and Nick Kacals understated double bass. After several attempts over the years, Morgans finally nails one of his earliest songs Montparnasse, an area on the left-bank of the Seine in Paris, where hes longed to live. A haunting piano arrangement by Sean Hargreaves adds to the soured visit, after which the lovers split on arriving home.
All in all, A Wretched Sinners Song is a pretty loaded album, with a deep sense of loss. Amongst it, theres also a sense of playfulness, presumably aided by that little devil on his shoulder.
From start to finish it took two and a half years. Its been worth the wait.
File under : Timeless classic.
You may be interested in
- Mon 23rd Jul 2018 John KirkpatrickFolk Club White Hill (Buckinghamshire)Buy Tickets
- Thu 26th Jul 2018 Steve PledgerPercy Park RFC - Tynemouth (North Shields)Buy Tickets
- Thu 26th Jul 2018 to Tue 31st Jul 2018 All Our Exes Live in TexasBuy Tickets
- Thu 2nd Aug 2018 to Sat 27th Oct 2018 Peatbog FaeriesBuy Tickets
- Sun 5th Aug 2018 The Wolfe TonesINEC - Gleneagle Hotel Killarney (Kerry)Buy Tickets
- Sat 11th Aug 2018 to Sat 18th Aug 2018 Holly Rees, Matt DunbarBuy Tickets
- Sat 11th Aug 2018 to Tue 30th Apr 2019 Grace PetrieBuy Tickets
- Sun 12th Aug 2018 The Wolfe Tones, Feile an PhobailFalls Park (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Aug 2018 to Sat 15th Dec 2018 Alabama 3Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Aug 2018 Piping Live!, BreabachDrygate (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st Aug 2018 to Wed 7th Nov 2018 Stella DonnellyBuy Tickets
- Tue 21st Aug 2018 to Fri 24th Aug 2018 Haley HeynderickxBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 to Thu 6th Sep 2018 Jolie Holland and Samantha PartonBuy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Sep 2018 Moseley Folk Festival, Teenage Fanclub, Steve Harley, King C...Moseley Park (Moseley)Buy Tickets
- Tue 4th Sep 2018 to Fri 14th Sep 2018 Frontier RuckusBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Sep 2018 The Wood Brothers, Logan BrillBush Hall (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Mon 10th Sep 2018 to Fri 14th Sep 2018 The Devil Makes ThreeBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Sep 2018 Aly Bain, Phil CunninghamRaemoir House Hotel (Banchory)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Sep 2018 Nathan Carter, Houghton WeaversThe Guild Hall & Charter Theatre (Preston)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Sep 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Cattle and CaneBuy Tickets
- Sun 16th Sep 2018 and Mon 17th Sep 2018 Samantha CrainBuy Tickets
- Mon 17th Sep 2018 to Tue 12th Feb 2019 Jackie OatesBuy Tickets
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 to Sat 6th Oct 2018 They Might Be GiantsBuy Tickets
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 to Sat 22nd Sep 2018 Ben CaplanBuy Tickets
- Tue 25th Sep 2018 Chuck Prophet, Jesse MalinKomedia (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Sep 2018 and Sat 29th Sep 2018 BlowzabellaBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 and Tue 2nd Oct 2018 Field DivisionBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 to Fri 28th Dec 2018 Houghton WeaversBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 and Wed 10th Oct 2018 Aidan O'RourkeBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 and Sat 13th Oct 2018 Steeleye SpanBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 to Sat 24th Nov 2018 Stick in the WheelBuy Tickets