A Wretched Sinners Song - Songdog Album Review
Reflective + confessional + emotive + imaginative + poetic = masterpiece.
It may sound profound, but this is THE most beautiful album Ive ever heard, despite its sad overtones.
Let me introduce you to Songdogs A Wretched Sinners Song. Songdog is the brainchild of Welshman Lyndon Morgans, long-time relocated to London. This is the bands fourth album following 2005s critically acclaimed The Time Of Summer Lightning, and from all accounts, their best to date. To my ears, musically, it rings of Mike Scotts Waterboys late period. The quality of songs is quite breathtaking, provided by Morgans (vocals / acoustic guitar) Welshman Karl Woodward (electric guitar / keys / harmonica / banjo / mandolin) and Dundees Dave Paterson (accordion / drums / tables / keys) and others.Its not a pop album per se, but one that could be considered a musos album. I suggest doing a few rotations initially, to enjoy the mournfully-tinged tunes. Then get stuck into the poetry in motion. Youll be back for more, guaranteed. For the record, Morgans biog cites a love of literature: a playwright and Samuel Beckett obsessive, which probably accounts for this wordy collection spanning 27 tracks under Act 1 : Love Lust and Act 2 : Love Lost. Because of the two acts, it does smack of musical theatre or concept album. In a nutshell, its about drifters, drunks, psychotics, sad loners and dreamers. In an exclusive interview, Morgans revealed, I didnt start with the idea of any concept in mind, I just wrote the songs over a two-year period and they just happened to be about the things I always write about love, lust, betrayal, disappointment, nostalgia, failure and so on, and only after they were recorded and mixed did the idea of Love Lust / Love Lost occur.
According to Morgans, the characters are composites of people he knows, has known, heard or read about, a bit of himself and his imagination. The devil pops up quite a bit too, as youll find out.
It begins with gripping emotional Rubens Tattoo, the story of a mermaid tattoo longing to go to sea. It sucks you in immediately, set to a gypsy-like musical template. Morgans emotional singing is instantly engaging, making you want to seek out more, which is Crown Of Thorns, a tune hed stored since 10 years ago. This nifty melancholic ballad is essentially about a guy losing his babe to a rock singer at a gig. He tries to hold her back but, But she heads for the back, up by the sound desk somewhere.Shes going backstage to meet the band. Jewel in a very large crown is Owls. Satan falls in love with a human, which set in the valleys of South Wales. The tale unfolds to some Greek-like music, and its breathtaking. Jaunty A Prayer To Idols, featuring accordion and mandolin, has flashes of French influences texturising the story of lost love, while Morgans years for his youth. References include the CD packshot picture of a local pond in his native Blackwood where his girlfriend, swam like a mermaid right round Keepers Pond.
Opening Love Lost, they give a big nod to Americana. The gorgeous Pilgrim Hill bursts to a cool shuffle with reflective lyrics harking back to Morgans favourite things: second -hand book stores, NME, glam rock, dusk, and snow. She Lets Me In By The Back Door is Morgans favourite here. Its a self-mocking song with sweeping strings, acoustic guitar and occasional piano - She saw the picture in my passport, we both laughed at my moustache. After Owls, Just Another Night In Limbo comes as the second best song here. Morgans digs deep, touching on a Dylan / Scott vocal. It plods quietly, broken by bursts of harmonica, stick shuffles and Nick Kacals understated double bass. After several attempts over the years, Morgans finally nails one of his earliest songs Montparnasse, an area on the left-bank of the Seine in Paris, where hes longed to live. A haunting piano arrangement by Sean Hargreaves adds to the soured visit, after which the lovers split on arriving home.
All in all, A Wretched Sinners Song is a pretty loaded album, with a deep sense of loss. Amongst it, theres also a sense of playfulness, presumably aided by that little devil on his shoulder.
From start to finish it took two and a half years. Its been worth the wait.
File under : Timeless classic.
You may be interested in
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 The Ballads of Child MigrationFloral Hall (Southport)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 SheelanagigMarshall Rooms (Stroud)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 and Sat 30th Mar 2019 Noble JacksBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 to Thu 25th Apr 2019 The Urban Folk QuartetBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Fri 15th Feb 2019 Jackie OatesBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 Ray CooperThe Red Lion (Kings Heath)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Thu 29th Nov 2018 Cosmo SheldrakeBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 and Sun 25th Nov 2018 Martha TilstonBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Stick in the WheelBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 to Tue 26th Feb 2019 LAUBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 to Fri 28th Dec 2018 Houghton WeaversBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 to Thu 16th May 2019 BC CamplightBuy Tickets
- Tue 27th Nov 2018 Jesse TerryWhelan's (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 28th Nov 2018 to Thu 14th Feb 2019 BreabachBuy Tickets
- Thu 29th Nov 2018 and Fri 30th Nov 2018 Peggy SeegerBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 to Sat 15th Dec 2018 Alabama 3Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 Will VarleyThe Palm House (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 Clive GregsonUkrainian Centre (Doncaster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 and Fri 11th Jan 2019 Tim EdeyBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 to Fri 14th Dec 2018 ShoogleniftyBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 Holly Rees, Matt DunbarThink Tank Underground (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Cattle and CaneBuy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Dec 2018 to Tue 30th Apr 2019 Grace PetrieBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 to Sun 3rd Feb 2019 The OnceBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 to Sat 26th Jan 2019 Twin Bandit, Steph CameronBuy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Jan 2019 to Sun 27th Jan 2019 Amy HelmBuy Tickets
- Tue 12th Feb 2019 Poppy AckroydEartH [Hackney Arts Centre] (Stoke Newington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Feb 2019 to Fri 10th May 2019 Fairport ConventionBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Feb 2019 John KirkpatrickBrighton Toy And Model Museum (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Mar 2019 Gathering Festival, AltanINEC - Gleneagle Hotel Killarney (Kerry)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Mar 2019 Stackridge100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets