A Wretched Sinners Song - Songdog Album Review
Reflective + confessional + emotive + imaginative + poetic = masterpiece.
It may sound profound, but this is THE most beautiful album Ive ever heard, despite its sad overtones.
Let me introduce you to Songdogs A Wretched Sinners Song. Songdog is the brainchild of Welshman Lyndon Morgans, long-time relocated to London. This is the bands fourth album following 2005s critically acclaimed The Time Of Summer Lightning, and from all accounts, their best to date. To my ears, musically, it rings of Mike Scotts Waterboys late period. The quality of songs is quite breathtaking, provided by Morgans (vocals / acoustic guitar) Welshman Karl Woodward (electric guitar / keys / harmonica / banjo / mandolin) and Dundees Dave Paterson (accordion / drums / tables / keys) and others.Its not a pop album per se, but one that could be considered a musos album. I suggest doing a few rotations initially, to enjoy the mournfully-tinged tunes. Then get stuck into the poetry in motion. Youll be back for more, guaranteed. For the record, Morgans biog cites a love of literature: a playwright and Samuel Beckett obsessive, which probably accounts for this wordy collection spanning 27 tracks under Act 1 : Love Lust and Act 2 : Love Lost. Because of the two acts, it does smack of musical theatre or concept album. In a nutshell, its about drifters, drunks, psychotics, sad loners and dreamers. In an exclusive interview, Morgans revealed, I didnt start with the idea of any concept in mind, I just wrote the songs over a two-year period and they just happened to be about the things I always write about love, lust, betrayal, disappointment, nostalgia, failure and so on, and only after they were recorded and mixed did the idea of Love Lust / Love Lost occur.
According to Morgans, the characters are composites of people he knows, has known, heard or read about, a bit of himself and his imagination. The devil pops up quite a bit too, as youll find out.
It begins with gripping emotional Rubens Tattoo, the story of a mermaid tattoo longing to go to sea. It sucks you in immediately, set to a gypsy-like musical template. Morgans emotional singing is instantly engaging, making you want to seek out more, which is Crown Of Thorns, a tune hed stored since 10 years ago. This nifty melancholic ballad is essentially about a guy losing his babe to a rock singer at a gig. He tries to hold her back but, But she heads for the back, up by the sound desk somewhere.Shes going backstage to meet the band. Jewel in a very large crown is Owls. Satan falls in love with a human, which set in the valleys of South Wales. The tale unfolds to some Greek-like music, and its breathtaking. Jaunty A Prayer To Idols, featuring accordion and mandolin, has flashes of French influences texturising the story of lost love, while Morgans years for his youth. References include the CD packshot picture of a local pond in his native Blackwood where his girlfriend, swam like a mermaid right round Keepers Pond.
Opening Love Lost, they give a big nod to Americana. The gorgeous Pilgrim Hill bursts to a cool shuffle with reflective lyrics harking back to Morgans favourite things: second -hand book stores, NME, glam rock, dusk, and snow. She Lets Me In By The Back Door is Morgans favourite here. Its a self-mocking song with sweeping strings, acoustic guitar and occasional piano - She saw the picture in my passport, we both laughed at my moustache. After Owls, Just Another Night In Limbo comes as the second best song here. Morgans digs deep, touching on a Dylan / Scott vocal. It plods quietly, broken by bursts of harmonica, stick shuffles and Nick Kacals understated double bass. After several attempts over the years, Morgans finally nails one of his earliest songs Montparnasse, an area on the left-bank of the Seine in Paris, where hes longed to live. A haunting piano arrangement by Sean Hargreaves adds to the soured visit, after which the lovers split on arriving home.
All in all, A Wretched Sinners Song is a pretty loaded album, with a deep sense of loss. Amongst it, theres also a sense of playfulness, presumably aided by that little devil on his shoulder.
From start to finish it took two and a half years. Its been worth the wait.
File under : Timeless classic.
You may be interested in
- Sat 17th Mar 2018 to Thu 6th Dec 2018 Alabama 3Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Mar 2018 Kathryn WilliamsSt Mary's Hall (Whitstable)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Mar 2018 to Fri 19th Oct 2018 The Urban Folk QuartetBuy Tickets
- Wed 28th Mar 2018 The Gentle GoodBuffalo Bar (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Mar 2018 to Fri 11th May 2018 Noble JacksBuy Tickets
- Thu 29th Mar 2018 and Fri 20th Jul 2018 4SquareBuy Tickets
- Thu 29th Mar 2018 Sweet BabooSoup Kitchen (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 4th Apr 2018 to Thu 24th May 2018 Cosmo SheldrakeBuy Tickets
- Thu 5th Apr 2018 to Fri 18th May 2018 The LeylinesBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th Apr 2018 and Sat 7th Apr 2018 Stick in the WheelBuy Tickets
- Sun 8th Apr 2018 to Mon 23rd Apr 2018 Nerina Pallot, Cattle and CaneBuy Tickets
- Sun 15th Apr 2018 North Sea Radio OrchestraThe Lexington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Apr 2018 and Tue 8th May 2018 Kris DreverBuy Tickets
- Tue 24th Apr 2018 and Sun 29th Apr 2018 Aidan O'RourkeBuy Tickets
- Wed 25th Apr 2018 to Thu 12th Jul 2018 Josh RouseBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Apr 2018 to Fri 11th May 2018 Sam BrookesBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 Michael McDermottKingsmead House (High Wycombe)Buy Tickets
- Wed 9th May 2018 Luke Daniels, Tim EdeyWest End Centre (Aldershot)Buy Tickets
- Fri 11th May 2018 Dónal Lunny, Andy IrvineThe Royal Theatre (Castlebar)Buy Tickets
- Fri 11th May 2018 to Fri 12th Oct 2018 Grace PetrieBuy Tickets
- Mon 14th May 2018 to Fri 25th May 2018 Elephant SessionsBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th May 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 Fairport ConventionBuy Tickets
- Tue 22nd May 2018 and Thu 21st Jun 2018 Clive GregsonBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Bearded Theory Festival, Robert Plant and the Sensational Sp...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 All Points East, Björk, Beck, Father John Misty, Flying...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 to Fri 20th Jul 2018 Heidi Talbot, John McCuskerBuy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Jun 2018 and Thu 12th Jul 2018 Heidi TalbotBuy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Jun 2018 Acoustic Festival of Britain, The Urban Folk Quartet, Dan Wa...Uttoxeter Racecourse (Uttoxeter)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jun 2018 Blue Rose Code, Greg Russell and Ciaran Algar, The Destroyer...Southwell Racecourse (Nottinghamshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 Cattle and CaneMiddlesbrough Town Hall/ The Crypt (Middlesbrough)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 and Fri 13th Jul 2018 SenserBuy Tickets