That's the Way (My Love Is) - The Smashing Pumpkins Single Review
Not having heard Smashing Pumpkins return album Zeitgeist, this was my first contact with the latest incarnation of a band that have been around (and critically acclaimed) for a long time. Previous material has been innovative, distinctive and intelligent and I plugged in my headphones with some trepidation - it's never nice to be disappointed.
The single starts with a drum intro from Jimmy Chamberlin that could have come straight from the Mellon Collie era and musically it's as familiar and technically competent as ever. Layered guitars, a dense rhythm section and the trademark overdubbed space sound distortion combine to wrap the vocals in sharpened fuzz. When a new guitar part kicks in you get the feeling that precise hours of fine tuning have gone into getting the amp setting absolutely right. The attention to detail (or obsessive fiddling) that Billy Corgan has often been praised (or criticised) for here pays off and the production can't be faulted.
Technical prowess is no substitute for original ideas, and it's here that criticisms can be made. Brilliant lyrics have come sporadically to Corgan, varying between perceptive, emotive storytelling Lily (My One and Only) and obscure meanderings Suffer. Lyrical competence is, of course, in the ear of the listener but to hear 'baby' replace the girls' names of previous songs feels like a transformation from personal, heartfelt emotion to generic sentiments.
That's the way my love is
That's the way I care
You should call on me baby
'Cause I'm always there for you,
is a long way from the bands' best efforts.
Smashing Pumpkins have always played 'verse, chorus, verse, bridge, verse, outro' but here the dynamic changes that infused previous effort have become pedestrian. Even the obligatory guitar solo, once a soaring, crashing cacophony of shrill and growling notes has become a simple variation on the vocal melody. This is still well crafted stadium rock, but the nuances and intrigue of the band's pre-2000 work are missing. The correlation with a new line up (excepting Chamberlin and Corgan) is perhaps indicative that a band is always more than its lead singer. Though Corgan has kept the name and sound of the Smashing Pumpkins, there is something missing and the music has consequently suffered.
You may be interested in
- Thu 11th Feb 2016 All Time Low, Good Charlotte: Back to the Future HeartsThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Feb 2016 to Sun 14th Feb 2016 The World is a Beautiful Place and I Am No Longer Afraid to ...Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Feb 2016 HurtsO2 Academy (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Feb 2016 and Fri 12th Feb 2016 Basement, Tigers JawBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Feb 2016 NME Awards Tour, Bloc Party, Drenge, Rat Boy, Bugzy MaloneO2 Academy (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Feb 2016 to Sat 27th Feb 2016 The CrookesBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Feb 2016 to Fri 19th Feb 2016 PINSBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Feb 2016 Cage the Elephant, Chrome PonyO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Feb 2016 to Thu 18th Feb 2016 King CharlesBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Feb 2016 and Sun 14th Feb 2016 Bob MouldBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Feb 2016 to Thu 7th Apr 2016 Eliza and the BearBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th Feb 2016 and Sat 13th Feb 2016 Hurts, SpectorBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th Feb 2016 to Sun 13th Mar 2016 Nathaniel RateliffBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th Feb 2016 NME Awards Tour, Bloc Party, Drenge, Rat Boy, Bugzy Malone, ...O2 Academy [1, 2 and 3] (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Feb 2016 to Wed 17th Feb 2016 Gun OutfitBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th Feb 2016 to Sat 20th Feb 2016 Cage the ElephantBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th Feb 2016 BBC Radio 6 Music Festival, Primal Scream, Adrian Sherwood, ...Motion/ The Marble Factory (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Feb 2016 BBC Radio 6 Music Festival, Bob Mould, Mystery Jets, HindsO2 Academy (Bristol)More Info..
- Sun 14th Feb 2016 BBC Radio 6 Music Festival, Buzzcocks, Bloc Party, Hooton Te...O2 Academy (Bristol)More Info..
- Sun 14th Feb 2016 BBC Radio 6 Music Festival, Laura Marling, John Grant, Julia...Colston Hall/ Lantern (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Wed 17th Feb 2016 to Thu 25th Feb 2016 ShearwaterBuy Tickets
- Wed 17th Feb 2016 to Thu 3rd Mar 2016 WhiteBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Feb 2016 to Thu 17th Mar 2016 SavagesBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Feb 2016 to Sat 12th Mar 2016 Therapy?: Infernal LoveBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Feb 2016 to Fri 25th Mar 2016 Wonk UnitBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Feb 2016 to Sat 27th Feb 2016 Girl Band, Jet SetterBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Feb 2016 Therapy?, The Membranes: Infernal LoveEngine Rooms (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Feb 2016 to Wed 9th Mar 2016 Fat White FamilyBuy Tickets
- Sun 21st Feb 2016 to Thu 25th Feb 2016 The Joy FormidableBuy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Feb 2016 Here We Go MagicXOYO (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Feb 2016 Max RaptorThe Rainbow (Birmingham)Buy Tickets