That's the Way (My Love Is) - The Smashing Pumpkins Single Review
Not having heard Smashing Pumpkins return album Zeitgeist, this was my first contact with the latest incarnation of a band that have been around (and critically acclaimed) for a long time. Previous material has been innovative, distinctive and intelligent and I plugged in my headphones with some trepidation - it's never nice to be disappointed.
The single starts with a drum intro from Jimmy Chamberlin that could have come straight from the Mellon Collie era and musically it's as familiar and technically competent as ever. Layered guitars, a dense rhythm section and the trademark overdubbed space sound distortion combine to wrap the vocals in sharpened fuzz. When a new guitar part kicks in you get the feeling that precise hours of fine tuning have gone into getting the amp setting absolutely right. The attention to detail (or obsessive fiddling) that Billy Corgan has often been praised (or criticised) for here pays off and the production can't be faulted.
Technical prowess is no substitute for original ideas, and it's here that criticisms can be made. Brilliant lyrics have come sporadically to Corgan, varying between perceptive, emotive storytelling Lily (My One and Only) and obscure meanderings Suffer. Lyrical competence is, of course, in the ear of the listener but to hear 'baby' replace the girls' names of previous songs feels like a transformation from personal, heartfelt emotion to generic sentiments.
That's the way my love is
That's the way I care
You should call on me baby
'Cause I'm always there for you,
is a long way from the bands' best efforts.
Smashing Pumpkins have always played 'verse, chorus, verse, bridge, verse, outro' but here the dynamic changes that infused previous effort have become pedestrian. Even the obligatory guitar solo, once a soaring, crashing cacophony of shrill and growling notes has become a simple variation on the vocal melody. This is still well crafted stadium rock, but the nuances and intrigue of the band's pre-2000 work are missing. The correlation with a new line up (excepting Chamberlin and Corgan) is perhaps indicative that a band is always more than its lead singer. Though Corgan has kept the name and sound of the Smashing Pumpkins, there is something missing and the music has consequently suffered.
You may be interested in
- Sun 23rd Oct 2016 to Sun 30th Oct 2016 Heaven 17, B.E.F: Penthouse and Pavement/BEFBuy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Oct 2016 to Tue 25th Oct 2016 SuunsBuy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Oct 2016 to Fri 16th Dec 2016 We Are ScientistsBuy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Oct 2016 to Fri 4th Nov 2016 The Lumineers, BahamasBuy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Oct 2016 to Sun 30th Oct 2016 Black FoxxesBuy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Oct 2016 to Sun 6th Nov 2016 MassMatiksBuy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Oct 2016 and Mon 24th Oct 2016 You Me At Six, VANTBuy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Oct 2016 and Mon 24th Oct 2016 The UndividedBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Oct 2016 to Thu 17th Nov 2016 Band of SkullsBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Oct 2016 Alien Ant Farm, Hed P.E53 Degrees (University of Central Lancashire) (Preston)More Info..
- Mon 24th Oct 2016 to Fri 28th Oct 2016 InMeBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Oct 2016 to Sat 5th Nov 2016 The LumineersBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Oct 2016 to Sat 29th Oct 2016 Fort HopeBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Oct 2016 and Wed 26th Oct 2016 Chris StaplesBuy Tickets
- Tue 25th Oct 2016 to Sun 6th Nov 2016 Alien Ant Farm, Sumo CycoBuy Tickets
- Tue 25th Oct 2016 to Sat 5th Nov 2016 High TydeBuy Tickets
- Tue 25th Oct 2016 to Fri 28th Oct 2016 The Undivided, The AttixBuy Tickets
- Tue 25th Oct 2016 Fort Hope, AshestoangelsThe Garage/ G2/ Attic (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Oct 2016 Ben HarperO2 Academy (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Oct 2016 to Fri 4th Nov 2016 Alien Ant FarmBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Oct 2016 to Sat 19th Nov 2016 Dinosaur JrBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Oct 2016 Amanda PalmerThe Liquid Rooms (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Oct 2016 and Sat 3rd Dec 2016 wecamefromwolvesBuy Tickets
- Thu 27th Oct 2016 Dinosaur Jr, Liverpool Music WeekEast Village Arts Club (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Oct 2016 Carl Barât, White Room, Broken Hands: This Feeling 10th Birthday229 the venue - Great Portland Street (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Oct 2016 Allusondrugs, BrawlersThe Parish (Huddersfield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Oct 2016 to Sat 12th Nov 2016 Terry and GerryBuy Tickets
- Sun 30th Oct 2016 to Fri 4th Nov 2016 Killing JokeBuy Tickets
- Sun 30th Oct 2016 to Fri 4th Nov 2016 PJ HarveyBuy Tickets
- Mon 31st Oct 2016 to Mon 7th Nov 2016 Shvpes, Press To MecoBuy Tickets
- Wed 2nd Nov 2016 to Thu 10th Nov 2016 Echo and the BunnymenBuy Tickets