That's the Way (My Love Is) - The Smashing Pumpkins Single Review
Not having heard Smashing Pumpkins return album Zeitgeist, this was my first contact with the latest incarnation of a band that have been around (and critically acclaimed) for a long time. Previous material has been innovative, distinctive and intelligent and I plugged in my headphones with some trepidation - it's never nice to be disappointed.
The single starts with a drum intro from Jimmy Chamberlin that could have come straight from the Mellon Collie era and musically it's as familiar and technically competent as ever. Layered guitars, a dense rhythm section and the trademark overdubbed space sound distortion combine to wrap the vocals in sharpened fuzz. When a new guitar part kicks in you get the feeling that precise hours of fine tuning have gone into getting the amp setting absolutely right. The attention to detail (or obsessive fiddling) that Billy Corgan has often been praised (or criticised) for here pays off and the production can't be faulted.
Technical prowess is no substitute for original ideas, and it's here that criticisms can be made. Brilliant lyrics have come sporadically to Corgan, varying between perceptive, emotive storytelling Lily (My One and Only) and obscure meanderings Suffer. Lyrical competence is, of course, in the ear of the listener but to hear 'baby' replace the girls' names of previous songs feels like a transformation from personal, heartfelt emotion to generic sentiments.
That's the way my love is
That's the way I care
You should call on me baby
'Cause I'm always there for you,
is a long way from the bands' best efforts.
Smashing Pumpkins have always played 'verse, chorus, verse, bridge, verse, outro' but here the dynamic changes that infused previous effort have become pedestrian. Even the obligatory guitar solo, once a soaring, crashing cacophony of shrill and growling notes has become a simple variation on the vocal melody. This is still well crafted stadium rock, but the nuances and intrigue of the band's pre-2000 work are missing. The correlation with a new line up (excepting Chamberlin and Corgan) is perhaps indicative that a band is always more than its lead singer. Though Corgan has kept the name and sound of the Smashing Pumpkins, there is something missing and the music has consequently suffered.
You may be interested in
- Thu 8th Dec 2016 to Fri 16th Dec 2016 The Human League: A Very British Synthesizer Group TourBuy Tickets
- Thu 8th Dec 2016 to Thu 15th Dec 2016 Placebo: 20 Years of PlaceboBuy Tickets
- Thu 8th Dec 2016 and Fri 9th Dec 2016 John Cooper Clarke, Hugh CornwellBuy Tickets
- Thu 8th Dec 2016 to Sun 11th Dec 2016 Against Me!Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Dec 2016 Pixies, FEWSO2 Academy [1, 2 and 3] (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Dec 2016 GengahrThe Deaf Institute (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Dec 2016 and Thu 22nd Dec 2016 Arrows of LoveBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Dec 2016 to Sat 22nd Apr 2017 Richard AshcroftBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Dec 2016 to Fri 10th Feb 2017 Frightened RabbitBuy Tickets
- Sat 10th Dec 2016 to Thu 15th Dec 2016 AshBuy Tickets
- Sat 10th Dec 2016 to Thu 15th Dec 2016 Twin AtlanticBuy Tickets
- Sat 10th Dec 2016 Black Peaks, Press To MecoConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Dec 2016 to Fri 16th Dec 2016 Hacktivist, Zoax, Bad SignBuy Tickets
- Sun 11th Dec 2016 to Thu 22nd Dec 2016 YellowcardBuy Tickets
- Mon 12th Dec 2016 to Mon 19th Dec 2016 Korn, Limp BizkitBuy Tickets
- Mon 12th Dec 2016 to Sun 18th Dec 2016 EmbraceBuy Tickets
- Mon 12th Dec 2016 to Sat 17th Dec 2016 The CrookesBuy Tickets
- Mon 12th Dec 2016 The BBC Music Awards, Robbie Williams, Craig David, Emeli Sa...ExCeL (London)Buy Tickets
- Tue 13th Dec 2016 to Thu 22nd Dec 2016 The 1975Buy Tickets
- Tue 13th Dec 2016 Walking On CarsRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Tue 13th Dec 2016 DelorentosSebright Arms (Hackney)More Info..
- Wed 14th Dec 2016 Culture ClubWembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Thu 15th Dec 2016 Seán McGowanLe Pub (Newport)Buy Tickets
- Thu 15th Dec 2016 to Sun 18th Dec 2016 We Are ScientistsBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Dec 2016 Blue Aeroplanes, Ian McNabbThe Fleece (Bristol)More Info..
- Fri 16th Dec 2016 Baby Strange, WhiteO2 ABC (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Dec 2016 to Fri 10th Feb 2017 The BrewBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Dec 2016 Dead Man FallKing Tut's (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Dec 2016 Wonk UnitSanctuary (Basingstoke)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Dec 2016 Blax Xmas Party: Don Broco, Shikari Sound SystemForum/ Attic [University of Hertfordshire] (Hatfield)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Dec 2016 Syren CityThekla (Bristol)Buy Tickets