That's the Way (My Love Is) - The Smashing Pumpkins Single Review
Not having heard Smashing Pumpkins return album Zeitgeist, this was my first contact with the latest incarnation of a band that have been around (and critically acclaimed) for a long time. Previous material has been innovative, distinctive and intelligent and I plugged in my headphones with some trepidation - it's never nice to be disappointed.
The single starts with a drum intro from Jimmy Chamberlin that could have come straight from the Mellon Collie era and musically it's as familiar and technically competent as ever. Layered guitars, a dense rhythm section and the trademark overdubbed space sound distortion combine to wrap the vocals in sharpened fuzz. When a new guitar part kicks in you get the feeling that precise hours of fine tuning have gone into getting the amp setting absolutely right. The attention to detail (or obsessive fiddling) that Billy Corgan has often been praised (or criticised) for here pays off and the production can't be faulted.
Technical prowess is no substitute for original ideas, and it's here that criticisms can be made. Brilliant lyrics have come sporadically to Corgan, varying between perceptive, emotive storytelling Lily (My One and Only) and obscure meanderings Suffer. Lyrical competence is, of course, in the ear of the listener but to hear 'baby' replace the girls' names of previous songs feels like a transformation from personal, heartfelt emotion to generic sentiments.
That's the way my love is
That's the way I care
You should call on me baby
'Cause I'm always there for you,
is a long way from the bands' best efforts.
Smashing Pumpkins have always played 'verse, chorus, verse, bridge, verse, outro' but here the dynamic changes that infused previous effort have become pedestrian. Even the obligatory guitar solo, once a soaring, crashing cacophony of shrill and growling notes has become a simple variation on the vocal melody. This is still well crafted stadium rock, but the nuances and intrigue of the band's pre-2000 work are missing. The correlation with a new line up (excepting Chamberlin and Corgan) is perhaps indicative that a band is always more than its lead singer. Though Corgan has kept the name and sound of the Smashing Pumpkins, there is something missing and the music has consequently suffered.
You may be interested in
- Sun 26th Feb 2017 to Tue 21st Mar 2017 ElbowBuy Tickets
- Sun 26th Feb 2017 to Thu 2nd Mar 2017 PinegroveBuy Tickets
- Sun 26th Feb 2017 Julian CopeThe Globe (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th Feb 2017 to Fri 31st Mar 2017 VANTBuy Tickets
- Sun 26th Feb 2017 to Tue 7th Mar 2017 Josefin Öhrn and the LiberationBuy Tickets
- Mon 27th Feb 2017 Kings Of LeonSSE Hydro (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Mon 27th Feb 2017 Spoon100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Tue 28th Feb 2017 Blonde RedheadIslington Assembly Hall [Town Hall] (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Tue 28th Feb 2017 to Mon 24th Apr 2017 The WytchesBuy Tickets
- Tue 28th Feb 2017 to Mon 15th May 2017 JUDASBuy Tickets
- Wed 1st Mar 2017 RedFacesThe Boileroom (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 2nd Mar 2017 to Tue 7th Mar 2017 Black Star Riders, GunBuy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Mar 2017 Wonk Unit, Revenge of the Psychotronic Man, Faintest IdeaThe Cellar Bar (Stafford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Mar 2017 The Dandy WarholsRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Mar 2017 to Sat 11th Mar 2017 MitskiBuy Tickets
- Sat 4th Mar 2017 Jim Jones and the Righteous Mind, Louise Distras, The DeRell...Proud Camden (Camden)More Info..
- Sat 4th Mar 2017 to Sat 13th May 2017 Hands Off GretelBuy Tickets
- Sun 5th Mar 2017 to Tue 7th Mar 2017 Press To MecoBuy Tickets
- Wed 8th Mar 2017 to Sun 19th Mar 2017 Black Star Riders, Backyard Babies, GunBuy Tickets
- Wed 8th Mar 2017 to Tue 28th Mar 2017 Laura MarlingBuy Tickets
- Thu 9th Mar 2017 Some Velvet MorningScala (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Fri 10th Mar 2017 to Sun 12th Mar 2017 HelmetBuy Tickets
- Fri 10th Mar 2017 Wonk Unit, Faintest Idea, The Roughneck Riot, Revenge of the...Think Tank [Digital] (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 10th Mar 2017 and Sat 18th Mar 2017 Neil McSweeneyBuy Tickets
- Mon 13th Mar 2017 to Thu 16th Mar 2017 High TydeBuy Tickets
- Tue 14th Mar 2017 to Sat 25th Mar 2017 Devilskin [NZ], Sumo CycoBuy Tickets
- Tue 14th Mar 2017 BushO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Wed 15th Mar 2017 to Wed 22nd Mar 2017 FoxingBuy Tickets
- Wed 15th Mar 2017 to Fri 24th Mar 2017 The VirginmarysBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th Mar 2017 to Tue 4th Apr 2017 Circa WavesBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th Mar 2017 to Mon 3rd Apr 2017 Superfood, King Nun, Pale Waves, Dirty HitBuy Tickets