That's the Way (My Love Is) - The Smashing Pumpkins Single Review
Not having heard Smashing Pumpkins return album Zeitgeist, this was my first contact with the latest incarnation of a band that have been around (and critically acclaimed) for a long time. Previous material has been innovative, distinctive and intelligent and I plugged in my headphones with some trepidation - it's never nice to be disappointed.
The single starts with a drum intro from Jimmy Chamberlin that could have come straight from the Mellon Collie era and musically it's as familiar and technically competent as ever. Layered guitars, a dense rhythm section and the trademark overdubbed space sound distortion combine to wrap the vocals in sharpened fuzz. When a new guitar part kicks in you get the feeling that precise hours of fine tuning have gone into getting the amp setting absolutely right. The attention to detail (or obsessive fiddling) that Billy Corgan has often been praised (or criticised) for here pays off and the production can't be faulted.
Technical prowess is no substitute for original ideas, and it's here that criticisms can be made. Brilliant lyrics have come sporadically to Corgan, varying between perceptive, emotive storytelling Lily (My One and Only) and obscure meanderings Suffer. Lyrical competence is, of course, in the ear of the listener but to hear 'baby' replace the girls' names of previous songs feels like a transformation from personal, heartfelt emotion to generic sentiments.
That's the way my love is
That's the way I care
You should call on me baby
'Cause I'm always there for you,
is a long way from the bands' best efforts.
Smashing Pumpkins have always played 'verse, chorus, verse, bridge, verse, outro' but here the dynamic changes that infused previous effort have become pedestrian. Even the obligatory guitar solo, once a soaring, crashing cacophony of shrill and growling notes has become a simple variation on the vocal melody. This is still well crafted stadium rock, but the nuances and intrigue of the band's pre-2000 work are missing. The correlation with a new line up (excepting Chamberlin and Corgan) is perhaps indicative that a band is always more than its lead singer. Though Corgan has kept the name and sound of the Smashing Pumpkins, there is something missing and the music has consequently suffered.
You may be interested in
- Mon 22nd Jan 2018 to Sun 28th Jan 2018 Motionless in WhiteBuy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Jan 2018 to Sat 27th Jan 2018 The CribsBuy Tickets
- Tue 23rd Jan 2018 to Sat 27th Jan 2018 Black Veil Brides, Asking AlexandriaBuy Tickets
- Tue 23rd Jan 2018 Frank Turner, Celtic ConnectionsThe Old Fruit Market (Glasgow)More Info..
- Wed 24th Jan 2018 to Tue 30th Jan 2018 Hollywood UndeadBuy Tickets
- Thu 25th Jan 2018 to Sat 17th Feb 2018 The BrewBuy Tickets
- Thu 25th Jan 2018 to Sat 3rd Feb 2018 Hot SnakesBuy Tickets
- Thu 25th Jan 2018 HalfNoiseBorderline (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jan 2018 Van ZellerJumpin' n' Hot Club (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jan 2018 Frank Turner: DJ setRebellion (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Jan 2018 to Thu 22nd Feb 2018 Dead!Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Jan 2018 Lewes Psychedelic Festival, Josefin Öhrn and the Libera...All Saints Arts Centre (Lewes)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Jan 2018 The Pale WhiteRiverside (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Jan 2018 WandBrudenell Social (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Mon 29th Jan 2018 The Ninth WaveSneaky Pete's (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Tue 30th Jan 2018 Alex VargasHoxton Square Bar and Kitchen (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Tue 30th Jan 2018 Press To MecoThe Craufurd Arms (Wolverton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 31st Jan 2018 to Tue 13th Mar 2018 The WhollsBuy Tickets
- Wed 31st Jan 2018 George EzraShoreditch Town Hall (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Feb 2018 SleepTalkingThe Sunflower Lounge (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Feb 2018 to Sun 4th Feb 2018 The Wedding Present: Tommy 30thBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st Feb 2018 to Sun 4th Feb 2018 MogwaiBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st Feb 2018 to Sat 10th Feb 2018 Chay SnowdonBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st Feb 2018 to Thu 8th Mar 2018 Shit Indie Disco ThursdaysBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st Feb 2018 to Wed 21st Feb 2018 Don BrocoBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Feb 2018 Wonk UnitVoodoo (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Feb 2018 to Fri 23rd Feb 2018 The BlindersBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Feb 2018 to Mon 12th Feb 2018 MarmozetsBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Feb 2018 The Wholls, Bang Bang RomeoThe Harley (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Feb 2018 to Sun 25th Feb 2018 The GodfathersBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Feb 2018 and Fri 2nd Mar 2018 I Love the 90sBuy Tickets