Lady Croissant - Sia Album Review
All songs are recorded live at the Bowery Ballroom New York on April 17 2006, except new studio song Pictures. Sia Furler is best known for her vocal contributions as back-up for Jamiroquai, Massive Attack and Zero 7's album 'The Garden' in 2006. With 4.6 million plays on MySpace, it's a strong indication the chanteuse is gathering a formidable reputation and following globally. This impeccable singer shows her quality and class on originals from her first two albums Healing Is Difficult, Colour The Small One, and covers of Zero 7's Destiny and Distractions from Simple Things. She handles and power ballads with equal efficiency and conviction, though breaking the UK market may take some doing as a solo artist. Nevertheless, Sia's 'Lady Croissant' is an exquisite collection by a woman on top of her game as she trawls through jazzy, soul, R&B that provide her with the golden opportunity, live, to show what a beautiful, delicate and powerful melodic singer she actually is as a lead performer, as opposed to providing support for others. Sia has grabbed her chance with sincerity and conviction. There's of raw emotion, balance nicely with warmth and tenderness, found in bucket-loads Don't Bring Me Down (sounding like Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks) Breathe Me. Melancholy is also her department, with violin drenched Blown It All Away. On Distractions, a stirring ballad, she's lets rip with equal efficiency bringing a massive cheer from the fans. Apart from Pictures, there's little evidence of her going down the populist route, because, most songs here don't have much chance of commercial airplay. And there's nowt wrong with that. This girl is doing things her way, for which she should be admired. A remote possibility is a cover of The Pretenders' I Go To Sleep, a major highlight of the album.
She will be critically lauded for this effort, but commercial sales might elude her, this time.
You may be interested in
- Thu 8th Dec 2016 to Sat 27th May 2017 The Human LeagueBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Dec 2016 and Sat 10th Dec 2016 Kylie Minogue: A Kylie ChristmasBuy Tickets
- Thu 26th Jan 2017 Sophie BarkerHoxton Square Bar and Kitchen (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Tue 7th Feb 2017 to Mon 13th Feb 2017 Ben WattBuy Tickets
- Wed 22nd Feb 2017 The Brit AwardsThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 5th Mar 2017 Neil Cowley TrioBand on the Wall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 28th Jun 2017 to Sun 2nd Jul 2017 Adele: The FinaleOn SaleFri 9th Decat 10am