Rick Wakeman to take Journey to the Centre of the Earth on 2014 UK tour
Full spectacular promised for 40th anniversary shows including Roger Dean design and full orchestra, tickets on sale now
As the days roll by, so do more and more anniversaries of one sort or another. Recently the perennial progressive rock band Yes proclaimed their intent to perform not one but three entire albums on their 2014 jaunt. Well, anything your old band-mates can do, one former member will try and do better....
Rick Wakeman is perhaps more familiar to the current generation for his earnest rants about life's injustices on BBC's The One Show and, previously, on the occasional TV series, Grumpy Old Men, in which Rick ranted about, er, life's injustices. Many years prior to the telly, Wakeman was one of Britain's foremost rock musicians, most notably as keyboardist for the aforementioned Yes, plus folk-rockers The Strawbs and as a solo artist.
In between repeated bouts of rejoining Yes, Rick Wakeman served up a welter of solo albums, including debut "The Six Wives of Henry VIII", which he recently performed at Hampton Court Palace back in 2009. Perhaps his most revered work is follow-up "Journey to the Centre of the Earth", based on the Jules Verne story of the same name. Recorded live at the Royal Festival Hall in 1974, the album topped the UK album chart upon release and became a million-selling long-player, as well as a must-have for any discerning rock fan.
In 2014, "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" turns 40 years old and will be celebrated in spectacular style. Rick Wakeman has confirmed an arena tour that will be more dramatic and eye-popping than ever before, complete with a full orchestra and sumptuously-designed sets by Yes-collaborator artist Roger Dean.
It'll be a family-friendly spectacle created with future generations of would-be aficionados in mind, as well as Wakeman die-hards. State-of-the-art technology will deliver a smorgasbord of audio and visual special effects, including fireworks and screen projections.
Confirmed for April 2014 are shows in Birmingham, London's Royal Albert Hall, Glasgow, Bournemouth and Cardiff. Tickets are on sale now, with demand expected to be high.
- Mon 23rd Oct 2017 Rick WakemanPavilion Theatre (Bournemouth)Buy Tickets
- Thu 2nd Nov 2017 Rick WakemanKing George's Hall (Blackburn)Buy Tickets
- Mon 27th Nov 2017 Rick WakemanCadogan Hall (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Dec 2017 Rick WakemanQueens House (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Tue 13th Mar 2018 YesColston Hall/ Lantern (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Mar 2018 YesCity Hall/ Memorial Hall/ Ballroom (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 YesThe Armadillo (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Mar 2018 YesThe Bridgewater Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Mar 2018 YesThe Sage (Gateshead)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Mar 2018 YesSymphony Hall (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Mar 2018 YesBrighton Centre (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Mar 2018 YesThe Philharmonic Hall (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Mar 2018 and Sun 25th Mar 2018 YesLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets