MGMT announce new album and autumn 2013 UK tour
The American band's self-titled third studio-album to appear prior to concerts, tickets on sale now
Living up to the promise of a best-selling debut-album isn't easy, especially if one particular song transforms a career from no-no, to go-go overnight. MGMT's signature song of sorts is still "Time to Pretend", a sub-druggy gambol through hazy summery psychedelia that has soundtracked many an episode of Homes Under the Hammer, Bargain Hunt and (if you believe Wikipedia) even a Polish TV advert for chocolates (MGMT - you're really spoiling us...)
So, after the acclaim levelled at "Oracular Spectacular", things might have been tough for the follow-up "Congratulations" - not so. The sophomore release clambered into the Top 10 in no less than nine countries, ensuring that messrs Van Wyngarden and Goldwasser have had plenty more in the tank. Although the hit-singles dried up, the album sold well and earned them a few sold-out shows on their last tour, back in 2010.
But 2013 is another year and that means another new album. Currently due to be called simply "MGMT", this third studio set will appear just prior to the comeback UK and Ireland tour confirmed for October. Stops include Glasgow on 12th October, followed by a handful in Wolverhampton, Manchester, Kentish Town and Dublin on the 19th.
Tickets are on sale now, priced from £20 to £22.50. Expect brisk sales.
You may be interested in
- Fri 9th Dec 2016 and Sat 10th Dec 2016 Chemical Brothers, James HolroydBuy Tickets
- Sun 11th Dec 2016 Chemical BrothersEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Dec 2016 Daniel AverySneaky Pete's (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Dec 2016 The Warehouse Project, Richie Hawtin, Ben Klock, Ben UFO, An...WHP Store Street (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jan 2017 and Sun 22nd Jan 2017 The Flaming LipsBuy Tickets
- Wed 8th Feb 2017 to Sat 11th Feb 2017 Bloc PartyBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Jun 2017 Field Day, Aphex Twin, Flying Lotus, Death Grips, Slowdive, ...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets