The Duckworth Lewis Method announce Sticky Wickets 2013 UK tour
Divine cricketing pop duo herald release of second album with autumn shows, tickets on sale now
For the uninitiated, The Duckworth Lewis Method could be misconstrued as a carnal act to prevent 'accidents'. But actually the term is (and here comes the 'science' bit) a mathematical formula created by statisticians Tony Lewis and Frank Duckworth to help assume a fair target score for the cricket team batting second during a weather-affected limited overs match. Bet you're glad you asked.
One Neil Hannon of The Divine Comedy and his co-writer Thomas Walsh of Pugwash were probably already well-aware of this slice of geek pie - so much so they blessed their side-project with its name. Well, when you have a concept album devoted to cricket bubbling away inside you, what better expression to use? Third Leg might have been even more carnal in its interpretation and let's not go there with Silly Mid-Off.
The Duckworth Lewis Method's light-hearted self-titled debut album, issued in 2009, was a treat for anyone who stirs at the sound of leather on willow. Jammed with references to cricket, tracks such as "The Coin Toss", "Rain Stops Play" and "The Age of Revolution" struck a chord and hit a six with many like-minded fans. Sell-out dates followed - and they'll follow again, later this year.
The duo's second album, entitled "Sticky Wickets" and featuring contributions from Stephen Fry, Daniel Radcliffe and others, will be released on 1st July. With a sleeve depicting a cheeky streaker leaping over the bales (stumps, not Gareth), the album will feature tracks such as "Line and Length" and "It's Just Not Cricket".
After recently announcing a London show on 21st September (on sale at £20 - £27.50), they've unveiled regional shows which will include Brighton on 20th September, followed by Glasgow, Gateshead, Manchester, Leeds, Bristol and finally Birmingham.
Regional tickets are on sale now, priced from around £23 upwards.
Their last shows sold out rather quickly - don't get caught out, be ready for those tickets!
You may be interested in
- Sun 6th Oct 2019 The Divine ComedyBord Gáis Energy Theatre (formerly Grand Canal Theatre) (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Mon 7th Oct 2019 The Divine ComedyUlster Hall (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Tue 8th Oct 2019 The Divine ComedyCork Opera House (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Thu 10th Oct 2019 The Divine ComedyThe Old Fruit Market (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 11th Oct 2019 The Divine ComedyO2 Institute (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 The Divine ComedyO2 Academy Oxford (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Mon 14th Oct 2019 The Divine ComedyO2 Academy Bristol (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Tue 15th Oct 2019 The Divine ComedyBeckett University (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Wed 16th Oct 2019 The Divine ComedyBrighton Dome/ Concert Hall (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 17th Oct 2019 The Divine ComedyEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2019 The Divine ComedyAlbert Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets