Reef celebrate 20th anniversary with 2013 UK tour
Somerset rockers return with clutch of autumn shows, tickets on sale now
Some twenty years ago, a little known gaggle of musicians from Glastonbury, converged on London, bumped into each other and formed a band. Isn't that how it's supposed to begin? In most group's cases perhaps but, within 18 months, Reef's early track "Naked" was soon being used in 1995 by Sony to sound-track an advert for under-rated mini-discs, the supposed successor to cassettes. Ker-ching.
Unlike the nifty recording medium, Reef have managed to outlast the product and, despite splitting in 2003, reconvened in 2010 after a wilderness period of solo projects, collaborative albums (as Stringer Bessant) and various festival comebacks. In the run-up to their hiatus, they knocked out several hit-singles, including the foreboding signature-tune and funk-rockathon "Place Your Hands", the target of many a jibe for Stringer's milk-curdling vocals and trademark "Awroight-a" hollered throughout the tune.
Whatever criticism was levelled at the band, NME and the like heralded Reef as perfect escapist rock, the like of which also spawned the hits "Come Back Brighter", "Consideration", "Set the Record Straight" and "I've Got Something to Say". Live, they were a formidable alternative to the chin-stroking grungers and clique-ridden drum 'n' bass clubs of the time. Album number two, "Glow" released in 1997, stormed to #1 and earned them one of two silver awards.
To celebrate 20 years in existence, the West Country outfit will show you just how formidable they can still be with a UK tour in November. First stop on the short jaunt is Bristol on the 14th, followed by Glasgow, Birmingham, Manchester, Truro and London on the 20th. Tickets on sale now, priced from around £18.50.
Beforehand, you can (ahem) place your hands on their Ultimate Box Set album AND see them perform a show on Newquay's Lusty Glaze Beach on 30th May (£19 - on sale now) and CarFest 2013 during August (supporting Ocean Colour Scene and Alfie Boe, no less).
- Thu 1st Nov 2018 ReefThe Cheese and Grain (Frome)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 ReefPrincess Pavilion (Falmouth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Nov 2018 ReefThe Factory (Barnstaple)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Nov 2018 ReefTramshed (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 ReefThe Assembly (Leamington Spa)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 ReefThe Live Rooms (Chester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 ReefThe Cambridge Junction (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 ReefFibbers (York)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 ReefThe Brickyard (Carlisle)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 ReefChinnerys (Southend)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 ReefChinnerys (Southend)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 ReefDreamland (Margate)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 ReefLemon Grove (Exeter University) (Exeter)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Nov 2018 Reef, Broken Witt RebelsNells Jazz and Blues (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 Reef, Broken Witt RebelsNells Jazz and Blues (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 Reef, Broken Witt RebelsNells Jazz and Blues (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 ReefManchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 ReefSheffield University Students Union/ Octagon/ Foundry (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 ReefThe Rescue Rooms (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 ReefRobin (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 ReefEngine Rooms (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 ReefO2 Academy Oxford (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Mar 2019 Planet Rock Winter's End, Reef, Kris Barras Band, Eden's Cur...Sandford Holiday Park (Poole)Buy Tickets