Riverdance celebrates 20th anniversary with extensive 2014 UK tour
The globally-acclaimed Irish dance spectacular will be performed across UK venues in 2014. Tickets on sale now
Before Boyzone, Father Ted, Mrs Brown and The Script, the biggest export out of Ireland was (and probably still is) Riverdance. And that's not meant to be a glib statement either - the show, initially danced by Michael Flatley and Jean Butler with music adapted from an earlier traditional work ("Timedance") by composer Bill Whelan with Donal Lunny, grew from humble beginnings as an interval distraction during the 1994 Eurovision Song Contest in Dublin, to a multi-million earning franchise across the world. The seven-minute performance drew more cheers than the Eurovision hopefuls. Enough said.
Truly a world phenomenon, early performances by Flatley made him a household name before wrangles prompted the dancer to hand over the reins to Colin Dunne (Flatley went on to create Lord of the Dance and Feet of Flames). However, despite losing its star, Riverdance's appeal has never waned. The show has been performed over 10,000 times, sold over 3 million copies of the soundtrack (expect a reissue later next year) and has had a potential audience of over 23 million. That word 'phenomenon' gets over-used these days but it certainly applies to this fusion of traditional Irish dance, ballet and fantasy.
2014 heralds the show's 20th anniversary and will see the return of Riverdance to UK stages. Although a farewell tour was originally earmarked a few years ago, the public's reaction to the show has clearly inspired its creators to re-run it.
The 2014 tour will begin in Southend from 2nd to 7th September, followed by residencies in Ipswich, Bournemouth, Birmingham and many more large towns and cities until closing at the Apollo in Hammersmith from 10th to 13th December.
Tickets on sale now, priced from around £30 depending on venue. Don't be fooled by the time-scales here - Riverdance is likely to sell out at the drop of a hat!
The show's next performance will take place in Dublin from 27th June to 1st September 2013, with very limited tickets available at reduced prices available until 31st March. Typically, standard tickets cost €25 - €50 but the offer reduces prices by around half.
- Tue 12th Jun 2018 to Sat 8th Sep 2018 RiverdanceGaiety Theatre (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Sep 2018 to Sun 16th Sep 2018 RiverdanceINEC - Gleneagle Hotel Killarney (Kerry)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sun 20th May 2018 to Sun 24th Jun 2018 Can You Dance?Buy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Sat 20th Oct 2018 Strictly Ballroom The MusicalBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Mon 10th Sep 2018 Swing Out! A Night Of Live Swing Music And DancingBuy Tickets
- Thu 24th May 2018 to Thu 15th Nov 2018 Finbar FureyBuy Tickets
- Thu 24th May 2018 to Sun 16th Sep 2018 Luke DanielsBuy Tickets
- Thu 24th May 2018 to Fri 1st Jun 2018 Blackpool Dance FestivalBuy Tickets
- Tue 29th May 2018 to Sat 2nd Jun 2018 StompBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 and Sat 2nd Jun 2018 AtomosBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th Jun 2018 and Sun 24th Jun 2018 'Rock Stars' In Our EyesBuy Tickets
- Thu 5th Jul 2018 Stonehaven Folk Festival, Tim Edey, Luke Daniels, ManranStonehaven Town Hall (Aberdeenshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 and Sun 8th Jul 2018 Stonehaven Folk Festival: Tradition Bearers ConcertBuy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 Stonehaven Folk Festival, AltanStonehaven Town Hall (Aberdeenshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 It's Showtime - Zoe Taylor Dance AcademyGrand Opera House (York)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jul 2018 Stonehaven Folk Festival, Kristina OlsenStonehaven Town Hall (Aberdeenshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jul 2018 Dance: Make Your MoveIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Jul 2018 to Sat 29th Jun 2019 Fame the MusicalBuy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Jul 2018 The Stunning, The AcademicFestival Big Top (Galway)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 and Sat 25th Aug 2018 In the HeightsBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 to Wed 14th Nov 2018 Flawless: Chase The Dream - The Grand FinaleBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Sep 2018 to Wed 31st Oct 2018 Rip It UpBuy Tickets
- Tue 9th Oct 2018 to Thu 22nd Nov 2018 Richard Alston DanceBuy Tickets
- Tue 23rd Oct 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 Tap DogsBuy Tickets
- Fri 3rd May 2019 to Sun 2nd Jun 2019 Strictly Come Dancing: The ProfessionalsBuy Tickets