Riverdance celebrates 20th anniversary with extensive 2014 UK tour
The globally-acclaimed Irish dance spectacular will be performed across UK venues in 2014. Tickets on sale now
Before Boyzone, Father Ted, Mrs Brown and The Script, the biggest export out of Ireland was (and probably still is) Riverdance. And that's not meant to be a glib statement either - the show, initially danced by Michael Flatley and Jean Butler with music adapted from an earlier traditional work ("Timedance") by composer Bill Whelan with Donal Lunny, grew from humble beginnings as an interval distraction during the 1994 Eurovision Song Contest in Dublin, to a multi-million earning franchise across the world. The seven-minute performance drew more cheers than the Eurovision hopefuls. Enough said.
Truly a world phenomenon, early performances by Flatley made him a household name before wrangles prompted the dancer to hand over the reins to Colin Dunne (Flatley went on to create Lord of the Dance and Feet of Flames). However, despite losing its star, Riverdance's appeal has never waned. The show has been performed over 10,000 times, sold over 3 million copies of the soundtrack (expect a reissue later next year) and has had a potential audience of over 23 million. That word 'phenomenon' gets over-used these days but it certainly applies to this fusion of traditional Irish dance, ballet and fantasy.
2014 heralds the show's 20th anniversary and will see the return of Riverdance to UK stages. Although a farewell tour was originally earmarked a few years ago, the public's reaction to the show has clearly inspired its creators to re-run it.
The 2014 tour will begin in Southend from 2nd to 7th September, followed by residencies in Ipswich, Bournemouth, Birmingham and many more large towns and cities until closing at the Apollo in Hammersmith from 10th to 13th December.
Tickets on sale now, priced from around £30 depending on venue. Don't be fooled by the time-scales here - Riverdance is likely to sell out at the drop of a hat!
The show's next performance will take place in Dublin from 27th June to 1st September 2013, with very limited tickets available at reduced prices available until 31st March. Typically, standard tickets cost €25 - €50 but the offer reduces prices by around half.
- Tue 12th Jun 2018 to Sat 8th Sep 2018 RiverdanceGaiety Theatre (Dublin)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 to Sat 2nd Jun 2018 StompBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Thu 22nd Nov 2018 Richard Alston DanceBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Feb 2018 Beats on PointeBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 to Sat 31st Mar 2018 Brendan ColeBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 to Sun 18th Mar 2018 Anton & Erin: From Broadway to HollywoodBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Feb 2018 Dance Champs On Stage with Louie SpenceThe Armadillo (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 28th Feb 2018 to Sat 17th Mar 2018 Tango After DarkBuy Tickets
- Tue 6th Mar 2018 to Fri 9th Mar 2018 Go DanceBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 to Thu 24th May 2018 Luke DanielsBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 to Sat 21st Jul 2018 Strictly Ballroom The MusicalBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 to Sat 28th Apr 2018 The StunningBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Mar 2018 to Sun 24th Jun 2018 Can You Dance?Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Mar 2018 to Sun 1st Apr 2018 DPA-WDC AL European ChampionshipsBuy Tickets
- Mon 2nd Apr 2018 to Fri 8th Jun 2018 Finbar FureyBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Apr 2018 to Fri 11th May 2018 Obsidian TearBuy Tickets
- Wed 9th May 2018 to Fri 11th May 2018 Cloud Gate Dance TheatreBuy Tickets
- Wed 9th May 2018 Luke Daniels, Tim EdeyWest End Centre (Aldershot)Buy Tickets
- Sun 13th May 2018 Prodijig3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Jul 2018 to Tue 19th Feb 2019 Fame the MusicalBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 FlawlessThe Broadway Theatre (Peterborough)Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd May 2019 to Sun 2nd Jun 2019 Strictly Come Dancing: The ProfessionalsBuy Tickets