Riverdance celebrates 20th anniversary with extensive 2014 UK tour
The globally-acclaimed Irish dance spectacular will be performed across UK venues in 2014. Tickets on sale now
Before Boyzone, Father Ted, Mrs Brown and The Script, the biggest export out of Ireland was (and probably still is) Riverdance. And that's not meant to be a glib statement either - the show, initially danced by Michael Flatley and Jean Butler with music adapted from an earlier traditional work ("Timedance") by composer Bill Whelan with Donal Lunny, grew from humble beginnings as an interval distraction during the 1994 Eurovision Song Contest in Dublin, to a multi-million earning franchise across the world. The seven-minute performance drew more cheers than the Eurovision hopefuls. Enough said.
Truly a world phenomenon, early performances by Flatley made him a household name before wrangles prompted the dancer to hand over the reins to Colin Dunne (Flatley went on to create Lord of the Dance and Feet of Flames). However, despite losing its star, Riverdance's appeal has never waned. The show has been performed over 10,000 times, sold over 3 million copies of the soundtrack (expect a reissue later next year) and has had a potential audience of over 23 million. That word 'phenomenon' gets over-used these days but it certainly applies to this fusion of traditional Irish dance, ballet and fantasy.
2014 heralds the show's 20th anniversary and will see the return of Riverdance to UK stages. Although a farewell tour was originally earmarked a few years ago, the public's reaction to the show has clearly inspired its creators to re-run it.
The 2014 tour will begin in Southend from 2nd to 7th September, followed by residencies in Ipswich, Bournemouth, Birmingham and many more large towns and cities until closing at the Apollo in Hammersmith from 10th to 13th December.
Tickets on sale now, priced from around £30 depending on venue. Don't be fooled by the time-scales here - Riverdance is likely to sell out at the drop of a hat!
The show's next performance will take place in Dublin from 27th June to 1st September 2013, with very limited tickets available at reduced prices available until 31st March. Typically, standard tickets cost €25 - €50 but the offer reduces prices by around half.
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 to Sat 14th Sep 2019 RiverdanceGaiety Theatre (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Sep 2018 to Sun 16th Sep 2018 RiverdanceINEC - Gleneagle Hotel Killarney (Kerry)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 to Sat 13th Apr 2019 Fame the MusicalBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 to Sat 20th Oct 2018 Strictly Ballroom The MusicalBuy Tickets
- Mon 20th Aug 2018 to Mon 10th Sep 2018 Swing Out! A Night Of Live Swing Music And DancingBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 and Sat 25th Aug 2018 In the HeightsBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 to Wed 14th Nov 2018 Flawless: Chase The Dream - The Grand FinaleBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Sep 2018 to Wed 31st Oct 2018 Rip It UpBuy Tickets
- Sun 16th Sep 2018 and Thu 4th Oct 2018 Luke Daniels: The Polyphon ChroniclesBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Sep 2018 to Sun 11th Nov 2018 Diversity: IgniteBuy Tickets
- Tue 9th Oct 2018 to Thu 7th Feb 2019 Richard Alston DanceBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 AltanKings Place (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Tue 23rd Oct 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 Tap DogsBuy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 to Tue 20th Nov 2018 Brendan ColeBuy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 to Fri 12th Apr 2019 Magic Mike LiveBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 Finbar FureyUnion Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 The StunningOlympia Theatre (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Dec 2018 The Stunning, The Frank and WaltersLeisureland (Galway)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 to Sun 24th Mar 2019 Anton & Erin: Those Magical MusicalsBuy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 to Sat 16th Feb 2019 Tango FireBuy Tickets
- Tue 5th Feb 2019 to Sun 10th Feb 2019 Lord of the DanceBuy Tickets
- Sat 9th Feb 2019 and Thu 14th Feb 2019 Anton & Erin, London Concert Orchestra, Lance Ellington: Those Magical MusicalsBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Feb 2019 Fire of AnatoliaIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets