Riverdance celebrates 20th anniversary with extensive 2014 UK tour
The globally-acclaimed Irish dance spectacular will be performed across UK venues in 2014. Tickets on sale now
Before Boyzone, Father Ted, Mrs Brown and The Script, the biggest export out of Ireland was (and probably still is) Riverdance. And that's not meant to be a glib statement either - the show, initially danced by Michael Flatley and Jean Butler with music adapted from an earlier traditional work ("Timedance") by composer Bill Whelan with Donal Lunny, grew from humble beginnings as an interval distraction during the 1994 Eurovision Song Contest in Dublin, to a multi-million earning franchise across the world. The seven-minute performance drew more cheers than the Eurovision hopefuls. Enough said.
Truly a world phenomenon, early performances by Flatley made him a household name before wrangles prompted the dancer to hand over the reins to Colin Dunne (Flatley went on to create Lord of the Dance and Feet of Flames). However, despite losing its star, Riverdance's appeal has never waned. The show has been performed over 10,000 times, sold over 3 million copies of the soundtrack (expect a reissue later next year) and has had a potential audience of over 23 million. That word 'phenomenon' gets over-used these days but it certainly applies to this fusion of traditional Irish dance, ballet and fantasy.
2014 heralds the show's 20th anniversary and will see the return of Riverdance to UK stages. Although a farewell tour was originally earmarked a few years ago, the public's reaction to the show has clearly inspired its creators to re-run it.
The 2014 tour will begin in Southend from 2nd to 7th September, followed by residencies in Ipswich, Bournemouth, Birmingham and many more large towns and cities until closing at the Apollo in Hammersmith from 10th to 13th December.
Tickets on sale now, priced from around £30 depending on venue. Don't be fooled by the time-scales here - Riverdance is likely to sell out at the drop of a hat!
The show's next performance will take place in Dublin from 27th June to 1st September 2013, with very limited tickets available at reduced prices available until 31st March. Typically, standard tickets cost €25 - €50 but the offer reduces prices by around half.
- Tue 11th Jun 2019 to Sun 15th Sep 2019 RiverdanceGaiety Theatre (Dublin)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sun 21st Oct 2018 to Wed 31st Oct 2018 Rip It UpBuy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Oct 2018 to Thu 7th Feb 2019 Fame the MusicalBuy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Oct 2018 to Sat 27th Oct 2018 Strictly Ballroom The MusicalBuy Tickets
- Tue 23rd Oct 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 Tap DogsBuy Tickets
- Thu 25th Oct 2018 to Wed 14th Nov 2018 Flawless: Chase The Dream - The Grand FinaleBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 to Sun 11th Nov 2018 Diversity: IgniteBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 to Sat 3rd Nov 2018 Emerald StormBuy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 to Tue 20th Nov 2018 Brendan ColeBuy Tickets
- Tue 30th Oct 2018 to Thu 7th Feb 2019 Richard Alston DanceBuy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 to Thu 7th Feb 2019 Magic Mike LiveBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 Finbar FureyUnion Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 to Mon 17th Dec 2018 The War of The Worlds, Jason Donovan, Newton Faulkner, Revol...Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 to Sun 13th Jan 2019 Snow White featuring Dawn French, Dawn French, Julian Clary,...Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 The StunningOlympia Theatre (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 Jason Donovan, Revolution [Kimberly Wyatt/ Adam Garcia], Car...Bournemouth International Centre BIC (Bournemouth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Dec 2018 The Stunning, The Frank and WaltersLeisureland (Galway)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 to Wed 6th Feb 2019 Strictly Come Dancing Live, Ore OdubaBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th Jan 2019 to Thu 7th Feb 2019 Strictly Come Dancing LiveBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 to Thu 7th Feb 2019 Anton & Erin: Those Magical MusicalsBuy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 to Thu 7th Feb 2019 Tango FireBuy Tickets
- Tue 5th Feb 2019 to Thu 7th Feb 2019 Lord of the DanceBuy Tickets