The Prodigy pay homage to Brixton O2 Academy with exclusive video
Iconic venue featured as part of O2 Academy TV live transmissions and 2013 concerts
One year ago, the successful O2 Academy brand (operated by AMG) launched a TV channel on You Tube to showcase the sort of acts you can expect to see, or have seen, at any one of its 15 Academy venues throughout the UK and Ireland.
Exclusive interviews, unseen live clips and rare acoustic performances are the order of the day, many of which never turn up as extras on the artist's DVDs or music-releases. Panic at the Disco, Kaiser Chiefs, Tribes and James Morrison were some of the first subjects to be hauled before the probing cameras, with Modestep, Ellie Golding, Paloma Faith and Sylosis some of the most recent.
But if there was one band and one venue that have epitomized the channel's intentions, it's the Essex boys with their electronic toys, to quote the MC on the video included here. The Prodigy are synonymous with explosive live shows, the best of which have been at the Brixton Academy. Their 1997 appearance at the South London venue was and remains one of this writer's favourite ever live shows - at one point, the entire 'slope' towards the stage looked to be bending under the sheer weight of bouncing people as they launched into "Their Law" in full throttle.
More recently during December 2012, the band performed a trio of triumphant 'Brixton Warrior' shows, some of which you can see on the film, as well as watching Keith Flint and the boys tear up another concert in front of thousands of baying faithful and give props to their favourite venue, Brixton. The Prodigy also reveal their 2013 plans (a new album) and exclusively reveal, by way of a set-list, their stringent technical procedures and settings for their live sound: music - LOUD, lights - FLASHING! You've gotta love 'em.
For more sure-to-be memorable gigs coming up at Brixton's O2 Academy in the coming weeks, check out the listings below - at the time of writing, Black Veil Brides, Deftones, Django Django, Sigur Rós (premiums available), Eels, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and, yes, comedian Jimmy Carr are all booked to appear in 2013. Grab your tickets now!
For more exclusive O2 Academy TV clips, go here: www.youtube.com/user/O2AcademyTV
- Fri 10th Jul 2020 Jimmy Carr: Terribly FunnyO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 MastodonO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 30th Jan 2019 The NeighbourhoodO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 The Dandy WarholsO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Feb 2019 to Tue 5th Feb 2019 The Streets, The Manor: The Darker the Shadow the Brighter the Light - Part TwoBuy Tickets
- Wed 6th Feb 2019 and Thu 7th Feb 2019 The Streets: The Darker the Shadow the Brighter the Light - Part TwoBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Feb 2019 Kaiser ChiefsO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets