Ready Steady Cook Live serves up 2013 UK tour
The popular day-time cookery show to embark on national foodie jaunt, tickets on sale now
Regular viewers of daytime television since the mid '90s will be all too familiar with the booming laughter of flamboyant TV chef and host of one of Britain's most enduring cookery shows, Ainsley Harriot.
Unlike Nigella, Jamie, Nigel and Lorraine, Harriot, who fronted Ready Steady Cook for most of its run (Fern Britton was the first host), was less about perfecting the art of 'combining the flavours', 'reducing the sauce into a jus' or 'building the dish' and more about 'having a go' and 'enjoying yourself'. Oh and doing his unique hip-wiggle when adding salt to a bubbling pan of water, of course. See? It was all about not taking itself too seriously.
The concept of the show was simple - one host steered two chefs and two contestants away from disaster and towards their culinary goals in a short timescale. Various tasks involved creating dishes from a small budget or, ta-dah, the Quickie Bag round, which involved a guest-chef attempting to cobble together something from an orange, a pack of liver, pine-nuts and a rude-shaped parsnip. With that little lot, I'd name it 'a mess', feed the bin and call up the local takeaway.
The TV programme ended (for now) in 2010 but now you can relive those calamitous/ triumphant scenes all over again by heading out to see Ready Steady Cook Live! Executive chef Lesley Waters, who appeared in over 500 editions of the show, will lead the shows along with celebrity hosts, chefs, guests and you the audience.
The format will be similar to the TV one with Main Course and Quickie Bag rounds plus a chance to ask the chefs a foodie question. Who will win the most rounds? Will it be the red tomatoes or the green peppers?
Before you decide, you'll need to book your tickets for the tour, which calls at Sunderland on 24th September 2013 and continues to Edinburgh, Grimsby, Wimbledon and many more into 2014 including Bristol and Liverpool. Tickets cost around £26 upwards, depending on the theatre.
You may be interested in
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Foodies Festival, Toploader, The HoosiersCannon Hill Park (Moseley)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 and Sat 14th Jul 2018 Foodies Festival, DodgyBuy Tickets
- Sun 24th Jun 2018 to Mon 27th Aug 2018 Foodies FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 to Sun 23rd Sep 2018 The Great British Food FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 Grillstock Festival, Black Grape, The Brand New Heavies, Hyp...Harbourside (Bristol)More Info..
- Sun 1st Jul 2018 Grillstock Festival, Fun Lovin' Criminals, The South, The Ha...Harbourside (Bristol)More Info..
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 to Sun 8th Jul 2018 Pub in the Park, Tom Odell, Sophie Ellis-BextorBuy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 Pub in the Park, Razorlight, Melanie CDunorlan Park (Tunbridge Wells)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jul 2018 Pub in the Park, The Christians, Billy Ocean, Scouting for G...Dunorlan Park (Tunbridge Wells)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 and Sun 26th Aug 2018 Foodies Festival, Toploader, DodgyBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 to Sun 9th Sep 2018 The Big GrillBuy Tickets
- Sat 4th Aug 2018 and Sat 25th Aug 2018 Foodies Festival, The HoosiersBuy Tickets
- Sat 4th Aug 2018 and Sun 5th Aug 2018 Cambridge Thai FestivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 to Sun 26th Aug 2018 The Big FeastivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 to Sun 2nd Sep 2018 MeatopiaBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Beer FestivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Sep 2018 to Sun 9th Sep 2018 Pub in the Park, Tom Odell, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Nick CorbinBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 Pub in the Park, Toploader, Gabrielle Aplin, Razorlight, Mel...The Lambing Shed (Knutsford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 OnBlackheath, Squeeze, The Divine Comedy, Billy Bragg, Corin...Blackheath Common (London)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Sep 2018 Pub in the Park, Squeeze, The Christians, Scouting for Girls...The Lambing Shed (Knutsford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Sep 2018 OnBlackheath, Paloma Faith, De La Soul, Corinne Bailey Rae, ...Blackheath Common (London)Buy Tickets
- Thu 27th Sep 2018 to Sun 21st Oct 2018 Erdinger Oktoberfest LondonBuy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Oct 2018 to Sun 28th Oct 2018 James MartinBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 to Sun 7th Oct 2018 The Cake and Bake ShowBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 and Sat 20th Oct 2018 BBC Good Food ShowBuy Tickets
- Sun 11th Nov 2018 and Tue 13th Nov 2018 Nigella LawsonBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 to Sun 18th Nov 2018 Taste of LondonBuy Tickets