Ready Steady Cook Live serves up 2013 UK tour
The popular day-time cookery show to embark on national foodie jaunt, tickets on sale now
Regular viewers of daytime television since the mid '90s will be all too familiar with the booming laughter of flamboyant TV chef and host of one of Britain's most enduring cookery shows, Ainsley Harriot.
Unlike Nigella, Jamie, Nigel and Lorraine, Harriot, who fronted Ready Steady Cook for most of its run (Fern Britton was the first host), was less about perfecting the art of 'combining the flavours', 'reducing the sauce into a jus' or 'building the dish' and more about 'having a go' and 'enjoying yourself'. Oh and doing his unique hip-wiggle when adding salt to a bubbling pan of water, of course. See? It was all about not taking itself too seriously.
The concept of the show was simple - one host steered two chefs and two contestants away from disaster and towards their culinary goals in a short timescale. Various tasks involved creating dishes from a small budget or, ta-dah, the Quickie Bag round, which involved a guest-chef attempting to cobble together something from an orange, a pack of liver, pine-nuts and a rude-shaped parsnip. With that little lot, I'd name it 'a mess', feed the bin and call up the local takeaway.
The TV programme ended (for now) in 2010 but now you can relive those calamitous/ triumphant scenes all over again by heading out to see Ready Steady Cook Live! Executive chef Lesley Waters, who appeared in over 500 editions of the show, will lead the shows along with celebrity hosts, chefs, guests and you the audience.
The format will be similar to the TV one with Main Course and Quickie Bag rounds plus a chance to ask the chefs a foodie question. Who will win the most rounds? Will it be the red tomatoes or the green peppers?
Before you decide, you'll need to book your tickets for the tour, which calls at Sunderland on 24th September 2013 and continues to Edinburgh, Grimsby, Wimbledon and many more into 2014 including Bristol and Liverpool. Tickets cost around £26 upwards, depending on the theatre.
You may be interested in
- Sat 22nd Sep 2018 and Sun 23rd Sep 2018 The Great British Food FestivalBuy Tickets
- Thu 27th Sep 2018 to Sun 21st Oct 2018 Erdinger Oktoberfest LondonBuy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Oct 2018 to Sun 28th Oct 2018 James MartinBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 to Sun 7th Oct 2018 The Cake and Bake ShowBuy Tickets
- Sun 14th Oct 2018 to Tue 13th Nov 2018 Nigella LawsonBuy Tickets
- Wed 17th Oct 2018 to Sun 28th Oct 2018 London Restaurant Festival: Ultimate Gastronomic WeekendBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 and Sat 20th Oct 2018 BBC Good Food ShowBuy Tickets
- Sun 21st Oct 2018 BBC Good Food Show, Paul HollywoodSEC Glasgow / Armadillo / Lomond Auditorium (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 to Sun 18th Nov 2018 Taste of LondonBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Jay RaynerThe Milton Rooms (Malton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 and Sat 1st Dec 2018 Vessel Beer FestivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Dec 2018 and Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Beer FestivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Aug 2019 to Sun 25th Aug 2019 The Big FeastivalBuy Tickets