Ready Steady Cook Live serves up 2013 UK tour
The popular day-time cookery show to embark on national foodie jaunt, tickets on sale now
Regular viewers of daytime television since the mid '90s will be all too familiar with the booming laughter of flamboyant TV chef and host of one of Britain's most enduring cookery shows, Ainsley Harriot.
Unlike Nigella, Jamie, Nigel and Lorraine, Harriot, who fronted Ready Steady Cook for most of its run (Fern Britton was the first host), was less about perfecting the art of 'combining the flavours', 'reducing the sauce into a jus' or 'building the dish' and more about 'having a go' and 'enjoying yourself'. Oh and doing his unique hip-wiggle when adding salt to a bubbling pan of water, of course. See? It was all about not taking itself too seriously.
The concept of the show was simple - one host steered two chefs and two contestants away from disaster and towards their culinary goals in a short timescale. Various tasks involved creating dishes from a small budget or, ta-dah, the Quickie Bag round, which involved a guest-chef attempting to cobble together something from an orange, a pack of liver, pine-nuts and a rude-shaped parsnip. With that little lot, I'd name it 'a mess', feed the bin and call up the local takeaway.
The TV programme ended (for now) in 2010 but now you can relive those calamitous/ triumphant scenes all over again by heading out to see Ready Steady Cook Live! Executive chef Lesley Waters, who appeared in over 500 editions of the show, will lead the shows along with celebrity hosts, chefs, guests and you the audience.
The format will be similar to the TV one with Main Course and Quickie Bag rounds plus a chance to ask the chefs a foodie question. Who will win the most rounds? Will it be the red tomatoes or the green peppers?
Before you decide, you'll need to book your tickets for the tour, which calls at Sunderland on 24th September 2013 and continues to Edinburgh, Grimsby, Wimbledon and many more into 2014 including Bristol and Liverpool. Tickets cost around £26 upwards, depending on the theatre.
You may be interested in
- Fri 6th Apr 2018 to Sat 12th May 2018 Beer FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sat 5th May 2018 Foodies Festival, ToploaderHove Lawns (Hove)Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th May 2018 to Sun 23rd Sep 2018 The Great British Food FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sun 6th May 2018 to Sat 25th Aug 2018 Foodies Festival, The HoosiersBuy Tickets
- Mon 7th May 2018 to Mon 27th Aug 2018 Foodies FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th May 2018 to Sun 26th Aug 2018 Foodies Festival, Toploader, DodgyBuy Tickets
- Thu 17th May 2018 to Fri 7th Sep 2018 Pub in the ParkBuy Tickets
- Wed 23rd May 2018 to Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Nigel Slater's ToastBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Le JasmineThe Royal Hospital (Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Le SunflowerThe Royal Hospital (Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Wed 13th Jun 2018 to Sun 17th Jun 2018 Taste of LondonBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 The Rollin' Clones, Who's Next, Newark FestivalRiverside Park (Newark)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 Newark Festival, Marti Pellow, Kim Wilde, Go West, Nick Heyw...Riverside Park (Newark)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Foodies Festival, Toploader, The HoosiersCannon Hill Park (Moseley)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 and Sat 14th Jul 2018 Foodies Festival, DodgyBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 to Sun 26th Aug 2018 The Big FeastivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 to Sun 2nd Sep 2018 MeatopiaBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 to Sun 7th Oct 2018 The Cake and Bake ShowBuy Tickets