Jane Siberry announces rare spring 2013 UK shows
Acclaimed Canadian chanteuse to perform intimate concerts in May, tickets on sale now
In the same time-honoured tradition of eclectic singers such as Kate Bush, k.d. lang, Tori Amos and the estranged Mary Margaret O'Hara, Canadian Jane Siberry is something of an enigma and an eccentric (in British terms, at any rate). For over thirty years the songwriter has been performing poetic left-of-centre stories and songs that have gained her an adoring audience on both sides of the Atlantic.
Perhaps her most familiar shots at the UK psyche were her major-label albums "Bound by the Beauty", featuring a few stone-wall classics such as "Everything Reminds Me of My Dog" and "The Valley", as well as the jaunty part-country part-folksy title-track, and its follow-up 1993's "When I Was a Boy", which contained a duet with k.d. lang "Calling All Angels" and the unlikely club-hit "Temple".
Since the mid '90s however, after eschewing the shackles of a major-label and setting up her own Sheeba Records, Siberry's grip on the competitive UK scene lessened and, after renaming herself 'Issa', promptly slipped out of our focus. Until now, that is. After performing oodles of intimate shows in people's homes, cottages, apartments and other private 'spaces' across the pond last year (she calls the concept, salons), the singer has earmarked slightly larger venues for her return to the UK.
Her first stop is The Pheasantry in London where she will play four nights from 5th to 8th May, before heading to Birmingham, Bury, Selby, Nottingham, Milton Keynes, Farncombe and finally Tewkesbury on 2nd June.
Tickets are on sale for all shows now and are priced from £15 to £20. Expect a career-spanning show, maybe stretching from "The Speckless Sky" to last year's "Meshach Dreams Back".
You may also be interested in
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 to Thu 22nd Mar 2018 Joan BaezBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 to Fri 25th May 2018 A Certain RatioBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Mar 2018 Jon HopkinsThe Invisible Wind Factory (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Mon 9th Apr 2018 to Thu 3rd May 2018 Bryan Ferry, Juanita SteinBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Apr 2018 and Mon 23rd Apr 2018 Bryan FerryBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 and Sun 29th Apr 2018 Harold BuddBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th May 2018 Jah WobbleThe Holroyd Arms (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Common People Southampton, Lily Allen, James, All Saints, Th...Southampton Common (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Common People Oxford, James, Ride, Maximo Park, DJ Craig Cha...South Park (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Jun 2018 to Wed 20th Jun 2018 David Byrne, Laura Mvula: American UtopiaBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 Love Supreme Festival, Elvis Costello, Mr Jukes, Songhoy Blu...Glynde Place (Lewes)Buy Tickets
- Tue 10th Jul 2018 to Fri 13th Jul 2018 Paul SimonBuy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Paul Simon, Ja...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th Jul 2018 Camp Bestival, Simple MindsLulworth Castle (Dorset)Buy Tickets
- Tue 31st Jul 2018 Summer Nights at the Bandstand, Bryan FerryKelvingrove Park (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Aug 2018 Simple Minds, The Pretenders: Grandslam TourMillennium Square (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Aug 2018 to Sun 9th Sep 2018 Simple Minds, The Pretenders, KT Tunstall: Grandslam TourBuy Tickets
- Sat 11th Aug 2018 Party At The Palace, JamesLinlithgow Palace/ The Peel (West Lothian/Linlithgowshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 11th Aug 2018 Simple Minds, KT Tunstall: Grandslam TourMillennium Square (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 U2: eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCEBuy Tickets