Jane Siberry announces rare spring 2013 UK shows
Acclaimed Canadian chanteuse to perform intimate concerts in May, tickets on sale now
In the same time-honoured tradition of eclectic singers such as Kate Bush, k.d. lang, Tori Amos and the estranged Mary Margaret O'Hara, Canadian Jane Siberry is something of an enigma and an eccentric (in British terms, at any rate). For over thirty years the songwriter has been performing poetic left-of-centre stories and songs that have gained her an adoring audience on both sides of the Atlantic.
Perhaps her most familiar shots at the UK psyche were her major-label albums "Bound by the Beauty", featuring a few stone-wall classics such as "Everything Reminds Me of My Dog" and "The Valley", as well as the jaunty part-country part-folksy title-track, and its follow-up 1993's "When I Was a Boy", which contained a duet with k.d. lang "Calling All Angels" and the unlikely club-hit "Temple".
Since the mid '90s however, after eschewing the shackles of a major-label and setting up her own Sheeba Records, Siberry's grip on the competitive UK scene lessened and, after renaming herself 'Issa', promptly slipped out of our focus. Until now, that is. After performing oodles of intimate shows in people's homes, cottages, apartments and other private 'spaces' across the pond last year (she calls the concept, salons), the singer has earmarked slightly larger venues for her return to the UK.
Her first stop is The Pheasantry in London where she will play four nights from 5th to 8th May, before heading to Birmingham, Bury, Selby, Nottingham, Milton Keynes, Farncombe and finally Tewkesbury on 2nd June.
Tickets are on sale for all shows now and are priced from £15 to £20. Expect a career-spanning show, maybe stretching from "The Speckless Sky" to last year's "Meshach Dreams Back".
You may be interested in
- Sat 1st Jul 2017 808 State, Marshall Jefferson: Fac51 Hacienda Classical AftershowAlbert Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 5th Jul 2017 and Fri 4th Aug 2017 JamesBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Jul 2017 and Fri 21st Jul 2017 Annie WhiteheadBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jul 2017 Sounds of the City, JamesCastlefield Bowl (Castlefield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jul 2017 to Wed 12th Jul 2017 Coldplay: Head Full Of DreamsBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jul 2017 to Sat 22nd Jul 2017 U2: The Joshua TreeBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jul 2017 Kew the Music, JamesKew Gardens (Richmond upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Jul 2017 The Summer Series, Songhoy BluesSomerset House (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Jul 2017 to Sun 30th Jul 2017 Indigo GirlsBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jul 2017 PennFest, Sigma, James, The Coral, Maximo Park, Cast, The Pi...The Big Park [Penn House] (Buckinghamshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Jul 2017 Live From Times Square, JamesTimes Square (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Tue 22nd Aug 2017 Daniel LanoisOslo (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Sep 2017 Erased Tapes, Penguin Cafe, Peter Broderick: Erased Tapes is TenRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Sep 2017 The Black Angels, Songhoy Blues, Laetitia Sadier, Loop, Adri...Liverpool Baltic Triangle - Various Venues (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Sep 2017 to Fri 1st Dec 2017 Songhoy BluesBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Dec 2017 A Certain RatioO2 Ritz (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 25th Jan 2018 to Sat 3rd Feb 2018 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets