Jane Siberry announces rare spring 2013 UK shows
Acclaimed Canadian chanteuse to perform intimate concerts in May, tickets on sale now
In the same time-honoured tradition of eclectic singers such as Kate Bush, k.d. lang, Tori Amos and the estranged Mary Margaret O'Hara, Canadian Jane Siberry is something of an enigma and an eccentric (in British terms, at any rate). For over thirty years the songwriter has been performing poetic left-of-centre stories and songs that have gained her an adoring audience on both sides of the Atlantic.
Perhaps her most familiar shots at the UK psyche were her major-label albums "Bound by the Beauty", featuring a few stone-wall classics such as "Everything Reminds Me of My Dog" and "The Valley", as well as the jaunty part-country part-folksy title-track, and its follow-up 1993's "When I Was a Boy", which contained a duet with k.d. lang "Calling All Angels" and the unlikely club-hit "Temple".
Since the mid '90s however, after eschewing the shackles of a major-label and setting up her own Sheeba Records, Siberry's grip on the competitive UK scene lessened and, after renaming herself 'Issa', promptly slipped out of our focus. Until now, that is. After performing oodles of intimate shows in people's homes, cottages, apartments and other private 'spaces' across the pond last year (she calls the concept, salons), the singer has earmarked slightly larger venues for her return to the UK.
Her first stop is The Pheasantry in London where she will play four nights from 5th to 8th May, before heading to Birmingham, Bury, Selby, Nottingham, Milton Keynes, Farncombe and finally Tewkesbury on 2nd June.
Tickets are on sale for all shows now and are priced from £15 to £20. Expect a career-spanning show, maybe stretching from "The Speckless Sky" to last year's "Meshach Dreams Back".
You may be interested in
- Sat 25th Mar 2017 to Mon 3rd Apr 2017 Gregory Alan IsakovBuy Tickets
- Wed 29th Mar 2017 Songhoy BluesThe Ruby Lounge (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Apr 2017 DJ Food, Seb RochfordArchspace (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th May 2017 to Fri 16th Jun 2017 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Wed 17th May 2017 to Thu 8th Jun 2017 Simple MindsBuy Tickets
- Wed 17th May 2017 to Fri 19th May 2017 Philip Glass, Laurie Anderson: American StyleBuy Tickets
- Thu 25th May 2017 The Human League, Liverpool SoundCity, The Art of Noise, A C...Clarence Dock Arena (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th May 2017 John Cale, Liverpool SoundCity: Velvet Underground and NicoClarence Dock Arena (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Jun 2017 Field Day, Aphex Twin, Flying Lotus, Death Grips, Slowdive, ...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Jun 2017 Hampton Court Palace Festival, Bryan FerryHampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Jun 2017 A Certain Ratio229 the venue - Great Portland Street (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jul 2017 Sounds of the City, JamesCastlefield Bowl (Castlefield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jul 2017 to Wed 12th Jul 2017 Coldplay: Head Full Of DreamsBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jul 2017 to Sat 22nd Jul 2017 U2: The Joshua TreeBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jul 2017 Kew the Music, JamesKew Gardens (Richmond upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Jul 2017 The Summer Series, Songhoy BluesSomerset House (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Jul 2017 to Sun 30th Jul 2017 Indigo GirlsBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jul 2017 PennFest, Sigma, James, The Coral, Maximo Park, Cast, The Pi...The Big Park [Penn House] (Buckinghamshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Jul 2017 Live From Times Square, JamesTimes Square (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th Aug 2017 Roy Ayers, Black Grape, Roni Size, Gilles Peterson, Mr Scruf...Whitebottom Farm (Stockport)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Sep 2017 The Black Angels, Songhoy Blues, Laetitia Sadier, Loop, Adri...Liverpool Baltic Triangle - Various Venues (Liverpool)Buy Tickets