Jane Siberry announces rare spring 2013 UK shows
Acclaimed Canadian chanteuse to perform intimate concerts in May, tickets on sale now
In the same time-honoured tradition of eclectic singers such as Kate Bush, k.d. lang, Tori Amos and the estranged Mary Margaret O'Hara, Canadian Jane Siberry is something of an enigma and an eccentric (in British terms, at any rate). For over thirty years the songwriter has been performing poetic left-of-centre stories and songs that have gained her an adoring audience on both sides of the Atlantic.
Perhaps her most familiar shots at the UK psyche were her major-label albums "Bound by the Beauty", featuring a few stone-wall classics such as "Everything Reminds Me of My Dog" and "The Valley", as well as the jaunty part-country part-folksy title-track, and its follow-up 1993's "When I Was a Boy", which contained a duet with k.d. lang "Calling All Angels" and the unlikely club-hit "Temple".
Since the mid '90s however, after eschewing the shackles of a major-label and setting up her own Sheeba Records, Siberry's grip on the competitive UK scene lessened and, after renaming herself 'Issa', promptly slipped out of our focus. Until now, that is. After performing oodles of intimate shows in people's homes, cottages, apartments and other private 'spaces' across the pond last year (she calls the concept, salons), the singer has earmarked slightly larger venues for her return to the UK.
Her first stop is The Pheasantry in London where she will play four nights from 5th to 8th May, before heading to Birmingham, Bury, Selby, Nottingham, Milton Keynes, Farncombe and finally Tewkesbury on 2nd June.
Tickets are on sale for all shows now and are priced from £15 to £20. Expect a career-spanning show, maybe stretching from "The Speckless Sky" to last year's "Meshach Dreams Back".
You may be interested in
- Mon 21st Aug 2017 Liars, Songhoy Blues, Jenny Hval, Roddy Woomble, Holy F**k, ...Cardross Estate (Stirlingshire)Buy Tickets
- Tue 22nd Aug 2017 Daniel LanoisOslo (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Sep 2017 Erased Tapes, Penguin Cafe, Peter Broderick: Erased Tapes is TenRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Sep 2017 The Black Angels, Songhoy Blues, Laetitia Sadier, Loop, Adri...Liverpool Baltic Triangle - Various Venues (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Sep 2017 Songhoy Blues, SWN FestivalTramshed (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Wed 27th Sep 2017 to Sat 30th Sep 2017 Penguin Cafe, Birmingham Royal BalletBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Sep 2017 The Warehouse Project, Jon Hopkins, Floating Points, Madlib,...WHP Store Street (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Nov 2017 to Fri 1st Dec 2017 Songhoy BluesBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Dec 2017 A Certain Ratio, GrammeO2 Ritz (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 25th Jan 2018 to Sun 25th Feb 2018 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets