Meat Loaf announces farewell 2013 UK tour
His 'Last at Bat' shows will include Bat out of Hell in its entirety, tickets on sale Friday 21st December
Many men retire at 65, so why shouldn't rock-stars? The choice is to continue trawling your hits until you resemble a wizened old sultana and sound like a chest complaint or go out in a blaze of glory - or like a Bat out of Hell. Meat Loaf has finally reached his ultimate career milestone - his retirement from touring.
Born in 1947 as Marvin Lee Aday, the explosive performer set a new precedent for rock, pomp, theatre and ceremony with a string of multi-platinum albums that drew him away from music theatre (he spent a few years in the '70s performing in the Rocky Horror Picture Show) and onto stadium stages and the bright lights of fame and fortune. Over the next three decades, Meat Loaf issued several classics including "Dead Ringer", "Midnight at the Lost and Found" and "Bat out of Hell 2", on which he declared to the amusement of parody and comedy writers, ""I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)".
But perhaps his most revered work is his very first solo effort - 1977's "Bat out of Hell", a seven-song litany of histrionics, drama and legend that burst out of speakers across mainland Britain at a time when punk was already providing a viable alternative to the mainstream. It elevated Meat Loaf to superstar status with songs such as ""You Took the Words Right out of My Mouth", "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" and the raging powerhouse that is the title-track.
But it's time to say goodbye. After over thirty years in the business, Meat Loaf is hanging up his microphone, for the time-being at least, with a farewell tour. Called "Last at Bat", the shows will be split into two parts - one with greatest hits, the other with the entire "Bat out of Hell" album performed in its entirety. He may only play a couple of others from his later trio albums - I suppose, either way, two out of three ain't bad.
Shows start in Newcastle on 5th April 2013, followed by Glasgow, London, Birmingham and the usual suspects until closing out in Cardiff on the 21st. We will have tickets on sale from 9am Friday 21st December, priced at £45 to £57.50.
You may be interested in
- Thu 24th May 2018 to Sat 27th Oct 2018 Bat Out Of Hell - The MusicalBuy Tickets
- Thu 24th May 2018 SparksO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 The Rolling Stones, Florence and the Machine: No FilterThe London Stadium - Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (Newham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Common People Oxford, The Jacksons, The New Power Generation...South Park (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Common People Southampton, The Jacksons, The New Power Gener...Southampton Common (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th May 2018 The Rolling Stones, The Vaccines: No FilterSt Mary's - Southampton FC (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 to Tue 12th Jun 2018 Patti SmithBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 The Rolling Stones, The Specials: No FilterRicoh Arena / Ericsson Arena (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Jun 2018 APE Presents, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Patti Smith, St. ...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Tue 5th Jun 2018 and Sat 9th Jun 2018 The Rolling Stones, Richard Ashcroft: No FilterBuy Tickets
- Wed 6th Jun 2018 Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Patti SmithRoyal Hospital Kilmainham (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 to Sat 17th Nov 2018 MaetloafBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 The Rolling Stones, Elbow: No FilterPrincipality (Millennium) Stadium (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Jun 2018 Andrew Lloyd Webber - A Musical Celebration: Live at Chelsea, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Mica Paris, Ben Forste...The Royal Hospital (Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 The Rolling Stones, James Bay: No FilterTwickenham Stadium (Twickenham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 to Sat 25th Aug 2018 Knights of the RoseBuy Tickets
- Sun 1st Jul 2018 to Sun 8th Jul 2018 Queen, Adam LambertBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 to Sun 15th Jul 2018 WellowfestBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 to Sat 8th Sep 2018 Barry ManilowBuy Tickets
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 and Sun 28th Oct 2018 Stepback - the 80s Concert, Tony Hadley, ABC, Bonnie Tyler, ...Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 and Sun 2nd Dec 2018 Def Leppard, Cheap Trick: HysteriaBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 Air SupplyVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 '80s Christmas Concert: Stepback - the 80s Concert, Tony Hadley, Bonnie Tyler, ABC, ...Ricoh Arena / Ericsson Arena (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th Feb 2019 Vampires RockHull Venue (Hull)Buy Tickets