Meat Loaf announces farewell 2013 UK tour
His 'Last at Bat' shows will include Bat out of Hell in its entirety, tickets on sale Friday 21st December
Many men retire at 65, so why shouldn't rock-stars? The choice is to continue trawling your hits until you resemble a wizened old sultana and sound like a chest complaint or go out in a blaze of glory - or like a Bat out of Hell. Meat Loaf has finally reached his ultimate career milestone - his retirement from touring.
Born in 1947 as Marvin Lee Aday, the explosive performer set a new precedent for rock, pomp, theatre and ceremony with a string of multi-platinum albums that drew him away from music theatre (he spent a few years in the '70s performing in the Rocky Horror Picture Show) and onto stadium stages and the bright lights of fame and fortune. Over the next three decades, Meat Loaf issued several classics including "Dead Ringer", "Midnight at the Lost and Found" and "Bat out of Hell 2", on which he declared to the amusement of parody and comedy writers, ""I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)".
But perhaps his most revered work is his very first solo effort - 1977's "Bat out of Hell", a seven-song litany of histrionics, drama and legend that burst out of speakers across mainland Britain at a time when punk was already providing a viable alternative to the mainstream. It elevated Meat Loaf to superstar status with songs such as ""You Took the Words Right out of My Mouth", "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" and the raging powerhouse that is the title-track.
But it's time to say goodbye. After over thirty years in the business, Meat Loaf is hanging up his microphone, for the time-being at least, with a farewell tour. Called "Last at Bat", the shows will be split into two parts - one with greatest hits, the other with the entire "Bat out of Hell" album performed in its entirety. He may only play a couple of others from his later trio albums - I suppose, either way, two out of three ain't bad.
Shows start in Newcastle on 5th April 2013, followed by Glasgow, London, Birmingham and the usual suspects until closing out in Cardiff on the 21st. We will have tickets on sale from 9am Friday 21st December, priced at £45 to £57.50.
- Sat 29th Jun 2019 Meat LoafThe New Crown (Merthyr Tydfil)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sat 25th May 2019 to Thu 30th May 2019 Gio SpanoBuy Tickets
- Wed 29th May 2019 to Wed 4th Dec 2019 Steve SteinmanBuy Tickets
- Tue 4th Jun 2019 to Sat 8th Jun 2019 Billy Cobham, Randy BreckerBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Jun 2019 and Fri 7th Jun 2019 An Evening with: Steve Hillage - Green, L and Fish RisingBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2019 An Evening with: Steve Hillage, The Egg - Green, L and Fish RisingO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2019 to Fri 20th Dec 2019 MaetloafBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2019 and Sun 16th Jun 2019 Bon Jovi: This House Is Not for SaleBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Jun 2019 to Sun 23rd Jun 2019 Bon Jovi, Manic Street Preachers: This House is Not For SaleBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2019 and Mon 8th Jul 2019 Hall & OatesBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 Ramblin' Man Fair, Black Stone Cherry, Cheap Trick, Anathema...Mote Park (Maidstone)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 Feels like Summer: Bananarama, Bonnie TylerSophia Gardens (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Jul 2019 Cheap TrickO2 Academy Glasgow (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jul 2019 80s Classical: Jimmy Somerville, Howard Jones, Nik Kershaw, Johnny Hates Ja...Millennium Square (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Aug 2019 Patti SmithKelvingrove Park (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Aug 2019 Paredes de Coura Festival, Patti Smith, SuedePraia Fluvial Do Taboao (Portugal)More Info..
- Sat 14th Sep 2019 BBC Proms in the Park, Barry Manilow, Chrissie Hynde, Jack S...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Wed 18th Sep 2019 Bonnie TylerLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Oct 2019 to Sat 12th Oct 2019 Alice Cooper, The Stranglers, MC50: Ol Black Eyes Is BackBuy Tickets
- Thu 24th Oct 2019 to Mon 28th Oct 2019 Indigo GirlsBuy Tickets
- Tue 29th Oct 2019 Romeo's DaughterThe Garage/ Thousand Island (Highbury)Buy Tickets
- Wed 4th Dec 2019 to Wed 11th Dec 2019 Dweezil ZappaBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Mar 2020 Livewire [AC/DC], WhitesnakeKK's Steel Mill (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets