Mark Thomas presents Bravo Figaro on 2013 UK tour
The popular comedian, writer and activist continues his heartfelt story about his father's love of opera, tickets on sale now
Let's be honest, Mark Thomas isn't your average comedy performer, nor is he average. Performing since the mid '80s, the South Londoner has not only 'done stand-up', he's performed at benefit-shows, appeared on TV and radio sparingly and acted as a compere. Nothing hugely unusual about all of that, you may concur, but Thomas has become increasingly more political, more in tune with the world's wrong-doings - in short, he's become an activist. Shock. Horror. Awe. Some.
If it wasn't for the Mark Thomases of this world, we'd be none the wiser about drug-dumping, arms-dealing, chemical warfare, national debts in some of the poorest countries in the world and heinous behaviour by corporate multi-nationals and human rights. He's been in the occasional spot of bother for protesting (he formed McDemos in 2007) and is probably a bit more sussed than people should give him credit for. Of course, walking along the West Bank and calling the resulting show "Extreme Rambling", exudes a certain amount of humour and insanity.
For Mark's most recent and most personal work, he's been working in opera for the sake of his father, a self-employed builder living in a Bournemouth bungalow with a degenerative disease. He also loves opera and along with the Royal Opera House, who commissioned it, Bravo Figaro tells his touching story as seen through the eyes of his son. Putting on an opera is hard enough - presenting an opera in the confines of a bungalow is a whole different kettle of Carmen.
Mark Thomas will be touring Bravo Figaro next year, starting with a show in London on 29th January 2013, followed by performances in Liverpool, Bristol (three), Salisbury, Ludlow and many more until Finchley's Arts Depot on 28th February. Tickets are on sale now, priced at around £15.
Later in the spring, Thomas will be appearing at Penzance's nearby Minack Theatre on 17th May, for a very special performance right next to the sea and under the elements - tickets for this show cost £17.50.
- Fri 25th May 2018 Mark ThomasDe La Warr Pavilion (Sussex)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sat 21st Apr 2018 to Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Ed ByrneBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Apr 2018 to Mon 2nd Jul 2018 David BaddielBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Apr 2018 to Fri 13th Jul 2018 An Ideal HusbandBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Apr 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 The Best ManBuy Tickets
- Tue 24th Apr 2018 to Sat 28th Apr 2018 This HouseBuy Tickets
- Tue 24th Apr 2018 Rory BremnerBush Hall (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Wed 25th Apr 2018 to Thu 28th Jun 2018 Dara O'BriainBuy Tickets
- Tue 8th May 2018 to Sat 19th May 2018 Life and FateBuy Tickets
- Wed 9th May 2018 Nish Kumar100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 16th May 2018 and Thu 21st Jun 2018 Robin InceBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th May 2018 Jo Caulfield, Raymond Mearns, Gary FauldsStrathaven Town Mill (Lanarkshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th May 2018 to Sun 16th Sep 2018 Dave GormanBuy Tickets
- Sat 19th May 2018 Trevor Noah: End of DaysThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th May 2018 to Fri 15th Jun 2018 Mark SteelBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 and Sun 10th Jun 2018 Andy Hamilton [comedian]Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 and Sat 26th May 2018 The Public Interest: World PremiereMore Info..
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 and Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Group Therapy, Nish KumarBuy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jun 2018 Alan Davies, Joe Wilkinson, Zoe LyonsQueen Square (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 Matt FordeArc (Stockton-on-Tees)Buy Tickets
- Mon 11th Jun 2018 to Wed 13th Jun 2018 Jonathan Pie: Back To the StudioBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 Andrew MaxwellMacintosh Queen's Cross Church (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 to Tue 18th Sep 2018 The JungleBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 to Fri 7th Sep 2018 The Lieutenant of Inishmore, Michael Grandage CompanyBuy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 Live at the Marquee, Dara O'BriainMarquee (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Wed 4th Jul 2018 to Fri 20th Jul 2018 Queens Of The Coal AgeBuy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jul 2018 to Sat 28th Jul 2018 Gyles BrandrethBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 Steve Gribbin, Brendan RileyThe Bentley (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 Nish Kumar, Edinburgh Festival Preview, Alex EdelmanWitham Hall (Barnard Castle)Buy Tickets
- Wed 18th Jul 2018 Michael PortilloGawsworth Hall (Macclesfield)Buy Tickets
- Thu 19th Jul 2018 to Tue 18th Sep 2018 Omid DjaliliBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 Kaleidoscope Festival, The Flaming Lips, Ghostpoet, Mystery ...Alexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Sep 2018 to Sun 16th Sep 2018 Dylan Moran: Dr CosmosBuy Tickets