Bryan Ferry celebrates 40th anniversary with new album and 2013 UK tour
Roxy crooner turns to the Roaring Twenties for creative inspiration, tickets on sale Friday 30th November
For those following the fortunes of one Bryan Ferry, from Roxy Music to reunions and last year's "Olympia" solo-album, the announcement from the singer that his next project would involve '20s jazz-arrangements of his own songs and, more to the point, the formation of his own orchestra to carry it all off, without his dulcet croon an accompaniment, might come as a shock. To learn that he's also celebrating his 40th year as a solo artist with a full UK tour, probably won't - there's a lot of catalogue to wade through, for a start!
Bryan Ferry released his first solo album in 1973. Entitled "These Foolish Things", the entire set marked something of a departure from his usual glam-rockery found on Roxy Music records - it was all cover-versions, done in a smooth, languid style, with a few songs extracted from shows, rock and soul's deep vaults. The title-track came from the '30s, while others included Four Tops, Smokey Robinson and The Rolling Stones and while follow-up solo albums followed suit with more cover-versions, the 40-year old album stands up today as perhaps Ferry's most-refined homage to another age - until now, perhaps.
This week (26th November 2012), Bryan has temporarily hung up his mike to piece together and co-ordinate "The Jazz Age", an album of 13 Roxy and Ferry songs given a scat, ragtime and spatz make-over. The man himself isn't on the project and it's unlikely that much of the album will ever get aired outside of the usual Ferry circle of fans. The idea doesn't seem so strange when you note the first instrumental as being "Do the Strand" - it's a dance in itself. Someone on Strictly is bound to give it a go.
Giving it a go in 2013 will be Ferry himself with a full UK tour announced on the back of "The Jazz Age". He'll be appearing at various large venues across the UK, starting with Salford on 26th October 2013, followed by the likes of Nottingham, Ipswich, Cambridge and many more until Plymouth on 23rd November. The London show will take place at the Royal Albert Hall on 4th November, after which he will become Ferry across the Mersey (sorry, couldn't resist it) in Liverpool on the 6th.
Tickets will go on sale at various prices from 10am on Friday 30th November. Expect a career-spanning show and maybe just a bit of the Jazz Age mixed in - with Ferry in person this time.
You may be interested in
- Mon 12th Dec 2016 to Wed 14th Dec 2016 Michael Ball, Alfie BoeBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Dec 2016 Paul Weller, Stealing Sheep, Temples, Kathryn Williams, Robe...: People Powered - Concerts for CorbynBrighton Dome/ Concert Hall (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Dec 2016 The OrbThe Button Factory (Temple Bar)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Dec 2016 Van MorrisonWaterfront Hall (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Dec 2016 New Year's Eve Party, Roxy MusiqueThe Old Courts (Wigan)Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Dec 2016 Jon Hopkins, Nathan Fake, New Year's Eve PartyThe Art School (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jan 2017 Roxy MusiqueThe Live Rooms (Chester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 25th Jan 2017 to Sat 20th May 2017 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Jan 2017 to Fri 31st Mar 2017 Roxy MagicBuy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Feb 2017 to Sat 25th Mar 2017 Paul CarrackBuy Tickets
- Sat 4th Feb 2017 A Certain RatioStereo (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Feb 2017 to Sun 26th Feb 2017 Pet Shop Boys: SuperBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Feb 2017 The Pasadena Roof OrchestraRhoda Mcgaw Theatre (Woking)Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Mar 2017 to Tue 16th May 2017 Procol HarumBuy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Apr 2017 Teenage Cancer Trust, Pet Shop Boys, Johnny Marr, Royal Phil...Royal Albert Hall (Kensington)More Info..
- Wed 17th May 2017 to Wed 7th Jun 2017 Simple MindsBuy Tickets
- Mon 22nd May 2017 to Thu 25th May 2017 Eric Clapton, Paul Carrack, Nathan EastBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th May 2017 John Cale: Velvet Underground and NicoClarence Dock Arena (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Jun 2017 Field Day, Aphex Twin, Flying Lotus, Death Grips, Slowdive, ...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Jun 2017 to Sat 24th Jun 2017 Elton John: Wonderful Crazy NightBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Jun 2017 Elton John, Live at the MarqueeMarquee (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jul 2017 Sounds of the City, JamesCastlefield Bowl (Castlefield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jul 2017 to Wed 12th Jul 2017 Coldplay: Head Full Of DreamsBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Jul 2017 Live From Times Square, JamesTimes Square (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets