Bryan Ferry celebrates 40th anniversary with new album and 2013 UK tour
Roxy crooner turns to the Roaring Twenties for creative inspiration, tickets on sale Friday 30th November
For those following the fortunes of one Bryan Ferry, from Roxy Music to reunions and last year's "Olympia" solo-album, the announcement from the singer that his next project would involve '20s jazz-arrangements of his own songs and, more to the point, the formation of his own orchestra to carry it all off, without his dulcet croon an accompaniment, might come as a shock. To learn that he's also celebrating his 40th year as a solo artist with a full UK tour, probably won't - there's a lot of catalogue to wade through, for a start!
Bryan Ferry released his first solo album in 1973. Entitled "These Foolish Things", the entire set marked something of a departure from his usual glam-rockery found on Roxy Music records - it was all cover-versions, done in a smooth, languid style, with a few songs extracted from shows, rock and soul's deep vaults. The title-track came from the '30s, while others included Four Tops, Smokey Robinson and The Rolling Stones and while follow-up solo albums followed suit with more cover-versions, the 40-year old album stands up today as perhaps Ferry's most-refined homage to another age - until now, perhaps.
This week (26th November 2012), Bryan has temporarily hung up his mike to piece together and co-ordinate "The Jazz Age", an album of 13 Roxy and Ferry songs given a scat, ragtime and spatz make-over. The man himself isn't on the project and it's unlikely that much of the album will ever get aired outside of the usual Ferry circle of fans. The idea doesn't seem so strange when you note the first instrumental as being "Do the Strand" - it's a dance in itself. Someone on Strictly is bound to give it a go.
Giving it a go in 2013 will be Ferry himself with a full UK tour announced on the back of "The Jazz Age". He'll be appearing at various large venues across the UK, starting with Salford on 26th October 2013, followed by the likes of Nottingham, Ipswich, Cambridge and many more until Plymouth on 23rd November. The London show will take place at the Royal Albert Hall on 4th November, after which he will become Ferry across the Mersey (sorry, couldn't resist it) in Liverpool on the 6th.
Tickets will go on sale at various prices from 10am on Friday 30th November. Expect a career-spanning show and maybe just a bit of the Jazz Age mixed in - with Ferry in person this time.
You may be interested in
- Fri 29th Jul 2016 The Orb: Adventures of the UnderworldElectric (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 31st Jul 2016 Nick Lowe, Paul CarrackPerth Concert Hall (Perth)More Info..
- Sun 31st Jul 2016 to Sat 10th Sep 2016 Roxy MusiqueBuy Tickets
- Thu 4th Aug 2016 to Tue 29th Nov 2016 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th Aug 2016 to Sat 27th Aug 2016 Somerset Rocks: Will YoungBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Aug 2016 Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, Johnny MarrBellahouston Park (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Sep 2016 The CribsKomedia (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Sep 2016 to Sun 4th Sep 2016 The The: Infected Screening 3Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Sep 2016 Together the People, Suede, The Horrors, Peter Hook, Songhoy...Preston Park (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Sep 2016 to Sat 17th Sep 2016 Roy Harper: 75th Anniversary TourBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Sep 2016 to Sun 2nd Oct 2016 Jane SiberryBuy Tickets
- Sat 10th Sep 2016 BBC Proms in the Park, Michael Ball, The BBC Concert Orchest...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Sep 2016 OnBlackheath, James, Belle and Sebastian, Squeeze, SOAKBlackheath Common (London)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Sep 2016 BBC Radio 2 Live in Hyde Park, Elton John, Gregory Porter, J...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Sep 2016 Happy Mondays, The OrbHastings Pier (Hastings)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Sep 2016 OnRoundhay, James, Primal Scream, Wolf Alice, Max Jury, The ...Roundhay Park (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Sep 2016 to Fri 28th Oct 2016 Ben Ottewell [Gomez]Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Sep 2016 to Fri 30th Sep 2016 David GilmourBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Sep 2016 to Wed 19th Oct 2016 Robin TrowerBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Oct 2016 to Sat 4th Feb 2017 Roxy MagicBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Oct 2016 and Fri 7th Oct 2016 Mick RalphsBuy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Oct 2016 to Mon 10th Oct 2016 Stars Of The LidBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Oct 2016 808 State, DJ Pierre: Phuture:AcidKOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Oct 2016 to Thu 24th Nov 2016 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Oct 2016 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Pauline Bla...Regent Theatre (Ipswich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Oct 2016 The Warehouse Project, Ninja Tune, Bonobo, Jon Hopkins, Gill...WHP Store Street (Manchester)More Info..
- Sat 29th Oct 2016 to Sat 26th Nov 2016 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Pauline Bla...Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th Oct 2016 Hot Since 82, Jon Hopkins, Matador, Sven Väth, Hallowee...3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th Oct 2016 BluesFest, Walter Trout, The Temperance MovementIndigo at the O2 (London)Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th Oct 2016 BluesFest, Van Morrison, Jeff BeckThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Nov 2016 to Tue 13th Dec 2016 Michael Ball, Alfie Boe: TogetherBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Nov 2016 to Mon 21st Nov 2016 Paul SimonBuy Tickets
- Sat 5th Nov 2016 A Certain RatioKing George's Hall (Blackburn)Buy Tickets
- Fri 11th Nov 2016 and Sat 12th Nov 2016 Curved AirBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Dec 2016 and Sat 3rd Dec 2016 Elton JohnBuy Tickets
- Tue 6th Dec 2016 JamesTheatre Royal Concert Hall (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Feb 2017 to Sat 25th Mar 2017 Paul CarrackBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th Feb 2017 to Sun 26th Feb 2017 Pet Shop Boys: SuperBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Feb 2017 The Pasadena Roof OrchestraRhoda Mcgaw Theatre (Woking)Buy Tickets