Bryan Ferry celebrates 40th anniversary with new album and 2013 UK tour
Roxy crooner turns to the Roaring Twenties for creative inspiration, tickets on sale Friday 30th November
For those following the fortunes of one Bryan Ferry, from Roxy Music to reunions and last year's "Olympia" solo-album, the announcement from the singer that his next project would involve '20s jazz-arrangements of his own songs and, more to the point, the formation of his own orchestra to carry it all off, without his dulcet croon an accompaniment, might come as a shock. To learn that he's also celebrating his 40th year as a solo artist with a full UK tour, probably won't - there's a lot of catalogue to wade through, for a start!
Bryan Ferry released his first solo album in 1973. Entitled "These Foolish Things", the entire set marked something of a departure from his usual glam-rockery found on Roxy Music records - it was all cover-versions, done in a smooth, languid style, with a few songs extracted from shows, rock and soul's deep vaults. The title-track came from the '30s, while others included Four Tops, Smokey Robinson and The Rolling Stones and while follow-up solo albums followed suit with more cover-versions, the 40-year old album stands up today as perhaps Ferry's most-refined homage to another age - until now, perhaps.
This week (26th November 2012), Bryan has temporarily hung up his mike to piece together and co-ordinate "The Jazz Age", an album of 13 Roxy and Ferry songs given a scat, ragtime and spatz make-over. The man himself isn't on the project and it's unlikely that much of the album will ever get aired outside of the usual Ferry circle of fans. The idea doesn't seem so strange when you note the first instrumental as being "Do the Strand" - it's a dance in itself. Someone on Strictly is bound to give it a go.
Giving it a go in 2013 will be Ferry himself with a full UK tour announced on the back of "The Jazz Age". He'll be appearing at various large venues across the UK, starting with Salford on 26th October 2013, followed by the likes of Nottingham, Ipswich, Cambridge and many more until Plymouth on 23rd November. The London show will take place at the Royal Albert Hall on 4th November, after which he will become Ferry across the Mersey (sorry, couldn't resist it) in Liverpool on the 6th.
Tickets will go on sale at various prices from 10am on Friday 30th November. Expect a career-spanning show and maybe just a bit of the Jazz Age mixed in - with Ferry in person this time.
- Sat 16th Apr 2016 Bryan FerryPerth Concert Hall (Perth)More Info..
- Mon 18th Apr 2016 Bryan FerryAlbert Halls (Stirling)More Info..
- Wed 20th Apr 2016 Bryan FerryLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Apr 2016 Bryan FerryLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 8th Jun 2016 Bryan FerryOlympia Theatre (Dublin)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sat 6th Feb 2016 to Sat 9th Jul 2016 Paul CarrackBuy Tickets
- Wed 17th Feb 2016 NME Awards Ceremony, ColdplayO2 Academy (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 17th Feb 2016 to Sat 21st May 2016 JamesBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Feb 2016 The Brit Awards, Adele, Coldplay, Justin BieberThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Feb 2016 BRITs Week: Coldplay, War ChildIndigo at the O2 (London)On SaleMon 8th Febat 9am
- Fri 26th Feb 2016 to Sat 1st Oct 2016 Roxy MagicBuy Tickets
- Wed 9th Mar 2016 Alan BarnesThe Pavilion (Godalming)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Mar 2016 The Pasadena Roof OrchestraHounslow Arts Centre (Hounslow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Mar 2016 and Sat 2nd Apr 2016 Curved AirBuy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Mar 2016 and Thu 24th Mar 2016 Jeff WoottonBuy Tickets
- Wed 30th Mar 2016 Pentangle, Jacqui McShee's PentangleKomedia (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Apr 2016 to Fri 6th May 2016 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Apr 2016 Larry Miller, Mick Ralphs, The GraveltonesO2 Academy 1 & 2 (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Apr 2016 Mick RalphsLion Quays (Oswestry)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Apr 2016 to Tue 26th Apr 2016 Renaissance, Curved AirBuy Tickets
- Fri 29th Apr 2016 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Gilson Lavi...Winter Gardens (Margate)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th May 2016 Songhoy BluesThe Old Market (Hove)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st May 2016 to Sat 6th Aug 2016 Roxy MusiqueBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st May 2016 Songhoy Blues, Fatoumata DiawaraRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th May 2016 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Jools Holla...Cartmel Racecourse - Grange-over-Sands (Cumbria)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Jun 2016 to Sun 19th Jun 2016 ColdplayBuy Tickets
- Fri 10th Jun 2016 to Sat 3rd Dec 2016 Elton JohnBuy Tickets
- Tue 14th Jun 2016 Hampton Court Palace Festival, Van MorrisonHampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th Jun 2016 PentangleRobin 2 (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Jul 2016 to Mon 22nd Aug 2016 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jul 2016 Cornbury Festival, Jamie Cullum, Soul II Soul, Wilko Johnson...The Great Tew Park (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Jul 2016 Greenwich Music Time, Jamie CullumOld Royal Naval College (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Jul 2016 to Sat 23rd Jul 2016 Pet Shop BoysBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Sep 2016 to Fri 30th Sep 2016 David GilmourBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Oct 2016 to Sat 26th Nov 2016 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Pauline Bla...Buy Tickets