Stereophonics follow-up Olympic show with winter 2012 UK tour
Violins and Tambourines, new drummer and live shows herald new chapter in Welsh rockers' career, tickets on sale Friday 2nd November
Kelly Jones may still be pinching himself to determine whether their massive Olympic 2012 show in Hyde Park was no more than a dream - the audience's cheers must still be ringing in his ears, that's for certain. Truth is, Stereophonics have been quiet of late with just a handful of live shows this year, a residency at Shepherd's Bush Empire in 2011 and big festival shows throughout 2010. You'd have to rewind back to March 2010 for details of anything resembling a proper UK tour - with today's announcement, you won't have much longer to wait to see them headlining again.
One reason for the stuttering live schedule may have been down to a slight change in personnel. Drummer Javier Weyler vacated the tub-thumper's stool earlier in the year with replacement Jamie Morrison (from Noisettes) now gainfully employed in the hot seat. Other reasons may also point towards their recording activity, or lack of it, itself a rarity until later in 2012 when details of their eighth studio set began to appear online, such as the rather terrific new song "Violins and Tambourines", which you can watch right here. A slower less frenetic riff-packed anthem than usual, the video (directed by Jones) and the song sees Stereophonics creating a more subtle and engaging sound than of late, one which will translate well in a live arena.
Talking of which, Stereophonics have finalized a spring 2013 UK tour. With ace ex-Supergrass frontman and songwriter Gaz Coombes in support-role, pumping up the Stereos crowd [nice! - Ed], the tour should be a lively and inviting prospect when it kicks off in Newport on 15th December, followed by Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham and finally, London's Troxy on the 20th.
Although the chosen venues aren't as intimate as this year's pre-Hyde Park quartet, they're still likely to sell out very fast. We will have tickets to all shows at 9am on Friday 2nd November, with prices around £32.50.
You may be interested in
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 SWN Festival, The Go! Team, Boy Azooga, Gaz Coombes, Bo Ning...Various Cardiff Venues (Cardiff)More Info..
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Ghostpoet, Jane Weaver, Nadine Shah, Suuns, The Lovely Eggs,...: Ritual UnionVarious Oxford Venues (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Oct 2018 Gaz CoombesThe Welly Club (Hull)Buy Tickets
- Tue 23rd Oct 2018 Gaz CoombesThe Liquid Rooms (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Oct 2018 Gaz CoombesRiverside (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 Gaz CoombesManchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 Gaz CoombesSheffield University Students Union/ Octagon/ Foundry (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 Gaz CoombesThe Rescue Rooms (Nottingham)Buy Tickets