Stereophonics follow-up Olympic show with winter 2012 UK tour
Violins and Tambourines, new drummer and live shows herald new chapter in Welsh rockers' career, tickets on sale Friday 2nd November
Kelly Jones may still be pinching himself to determine whether their massive Olympic 2012 show in Hyde Park was no more than a dream - the audience's cheers must still be ringing in his ears, that's for certain. Truth is, Stereophonics have been quiet of late with just a handful of live shows this year, a residency at Shepherd's Bush Empire in 2011 and big festival shows throughout 2010. You'd have to rewind back to March 2010 for details of anything resembling a proper UK tour - with today's announcement, you won't have much longer to wait to see them headlining again.
One reason for the stuttering live schedule may have been down to a slight change in personnel. Drummer Javier Weyler vacated the tub-thumper's stool earlier in the year with replacement Jamie Morrison (from Noisettes) now gainfully employed in the hot seat. Other reasons may also point towards their recording activity, or lack of it, itself a rarity until later in 2012 when details of their eighth studio set began to appear online, such as the rather terrific new song "Violins and Tambourines", which you can watch right here. A slower less frenetic riff-packed anthem than usual, the video (directed by Jones) and the song sees Stereophonics creating a more subtle and engaging sound than of late, one which will translate well in a live arena.
Talking of which, Stereophonics have finalized a spring 2013 UK tour. With ace ex-Supergrass frontman and songwriter Gaz Coombes in support-role, pumping up the Stereos crowd [nice! - Ed], the tour should be a lively and inviting prospect when it kicks off in Newport on 15th December, followed by Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham and finally, London's Troxy on the 20th.
Although the chosen venues aren't as intimate as this year's pre-Hyde Park quartet, they're still likely to sell out very fast. We will have tickets to all shows at 9am on Friday 2nd November, with prices around £32.50.
- Sun 26th May 2019 This is Tomorrow Festival, StereophonicsNewcastle Exhibition Park (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Jun 2019 Forest Live, StereophonicsWestonbirt Arboretum (Gloucester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Jun 2019 Stereophonics, Eden SessionsThe Eden Project (Cornwall)More Info..
- Sun 23rd Jun 2019 Forest Live, StereophonicsThetford Forest (Suffolk)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Jul 2019 StereophonicsSamuel Beckett Theatre - Trinity College (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Jul 2019 Lytham Festival, Stereophonics, Tom Grennan, Jade BirdLytham Green (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Jul 2019 StereophonicsSingleton Park (Swansea)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sat 25th May 2019 Neighbourhood Weekender, George Ezra, Primal Scream, Nothing...Victoria Park (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Mon 27th May 2019 Gaz CoombesSt Paul's Centre (Worthing)Buy Tickets
- Tue 28th May 2019 Gaz CoombesThe Boileroom (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Wed 29th May 2019 Gaz CoombesNewhampton Arts Centre (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2019 Gaz CoombesEsquires (Bedford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Jun 2019 Gaz CoombesPhoenix Arts Centre (Exeter)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Jun 2019 Gaz CoombesSub89 (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2019 Gaz CoombesThe Forum (Tunbridge Wells)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2019 Cornbury Festival, The Specials, Echo and the Bunnymen, Beve...The Great Tew Park (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets