Stereophonics follow-up Olympic show with winter 2012 UK tour
Violins and Tambourines, new drummer and live shows herald new chapter in Welsh rockers' career, tickets on sale Friday 2nd November
Kelly Jones may still be pinching himself to determine whether their massive Olympic 2012 show in Hyde Park was no more than a dream - the audience's cheers must still be ringing in his ears, that's for certain. Truth is, Stereophonics have been quiet of late with just a handful of live shows this year, a residency at Shepherd's Bush Empire in 2011 and big festival shows throughout 2010. You'd have to rewind back to March 2010 for details of anything resembling a proper UK tour - with today's announcement, you won't have much longer to wait to see them headlining again.
One reason for the stuttering live schedule may have been down to a slight change in personnel. Drummer Javier Weyler vacated the tub-thumper's stool earlier in the year with replacement Jamie Morrison (from Noisettes) now gainfully employed in the hot seat. Other reasons may also point towards their recording activity, or lack of it, itself a rarity until later in 2012 when details of their eighth studio set began to appear online, such as the rather terrific new song "Violins and Tambourines", which you can watch right here. A slower less frenetic riff-packed anthem than usual, the video (directed by Jones) and the song sees Stereophonics creating a more subtle and engaging sound than of late, one which will translate well in a live arena.
Talking of which, Stereophonics have finalized a spring 2013 UK tour. With ace ex-Supergrass frontman and songwriter Gaz Coombes in support-role, pumping up the Stereos crowd [nice! - Ed], the tour should be a lively and inviting prospect when it kicks off in Newport on 15th December, followed by Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham and finally, London's Troxy on the 20th.
Although the chosen venues aren't as intimate as this year's pre-Hyde Park quartet, they're still likely to sell out very fast. We will have tickets to all shows at 9am on Friday 2nd November, with prices around £32.50.
- Wed 30th May 2018 StereophonicsEcho Arena/ The Auditorium (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 StereophonicsThe Racecourse Ground/ Centenary Club [Wrexham AFC] (Wrexham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jun 2018 StereophonicsCardiff City Stadium (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 TRNSMT, Stereophonics, The Script, James Bay, Kodaline, Jess...Glasgow Green (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Jul 2018 Tramlines Festival, StereophonicsHillsborough Park (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Aug 2018 Rize Festival, Liam Gallagher, James Bay, Craig David, Plan ...Hylands Park (Chelmsford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 Rize Festival, Stereophonics, Bastille, Years and Years, Rag...Hylands Park (Chelmsford)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Thu 17th May 2018 Gaz CoombesThe Garage/ G2/ Attic (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th May 2018 Gaz CoombesThe Arts Club (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th May 2018 Gaz CoombesThe Church (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 Gaz CoombesO2 Institute (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Tue 22nd May 2018 Gaz CoombesThe Trinity Centre (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Wed 23rd May 2018 Gaz CoombesLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Gaz CoombesDublin Academy [1/2/ Green Room] (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th Jul 2018 Standon Calling, Bryan Ferry, Goldfrapp, The Horrors, Gaz Co...Standon (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets