Mark Gardener takes us for a ride with autumn 2012 UK tour
Ex-Ride singer returns with string of solo shows, tickets on sale now
One of the keynote UK bands of the '90s arguably made a huge noise in their day, yet surprisingly created little more than a ripple in the mainstream. Ride had the looks, the tunes, the acclaimed live shows and the critics on their side, but Mr and Mrs General Public barely twitched when the Oxford quartet chimed and jangled their way into earshot.
Built for stadiums, yet consigned to venues, Mark Gardener's charges were always on the verge of greatness, yet never fully embraced. Being labelled with the term 'shoegaze' probably didn't endear them to casual listeners, but with patience, they would have been treated to the equal or better of their more successful label-mates at the time, namely The Boo Radleys (who ironically supported Ride on a few early shows) and a certain Oasis.
Debut album 'Nowhere' was a blistering powerhouse that challenged My Bloody Valentine for the 'beautiful noise' throne, but it was follow-up 'Going Blank Again', complete with resplendent single 'Leave Them All Behind', that threw them into the UK #5 for an all-too-brief dalliance with fame and fortune. Although follow-up albums 'Carnival of Light' and 'Tarantula' sold well, the writing was on the wall and Ride split in 1996. Gardener dabbled with another band (The ill-fated Animalhouse) until going solo at the turn of the century and with his own studios, OX-4-Sound, the songwriter has been busy overseeing studio sessions and releases by various local bands, as well as releasing a collaborative single with another luminary from the (cough) 'shoegaze' era, Robin Guthrie (Cocteau Twins) called 'The Places We Go'.
Later this year, Mark will be performing a handful of solo shows as a follow-up to his recent Sit Down and Sing tour of Germany and a pre-cursor to new material. Towns announced so far for shows in November include Brighton, London (Brixton), Leicester, Salford and Newcastle. Tickets are available now, priced from under a tenner (£12 for Brixton).
You may be interested in
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 to Sat 22nd Sep 2018 Detroit Social ClubBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Sep 2018 to Wed 9th Jan 2019 Manu Delago: Screening - Parasol PeakBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 and Fri 7th Dec 2018 BMX BanditsBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 to Wed 24th Oct 2018 The Brian Jonestown MassacreBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 The Lovely EggsBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 The Brian Jonestown Massacre, FlamingodsManchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Ghostpoet, Jane Weaver, Nadine Shah, Suuns, The Lovely Eggs,...Various Oxford Venues (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Slowdive, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, James Holden, Kam...Various Bristol Venues (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Mon 29th Oct 2018 to Thu 15th Nov 2018 Teenage Fanclub: The Creation Records YearsBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st Nov 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 The House of LoveBuy Tickets
- Thu 8th Nov 2018 A Celebration of Daniel Treacy: Television Personalities, Alan McGee100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 to Sat 19th Jan 2019 Laetitia SadierBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 The War On Drugs, SlowdiveThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 Laetitia Sadier, Marker StarlingSt Mary's Centre (Chester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th May 2019 and Sun 5th May 2019 Dead Can DanceBuy Tickets