Mark Gardener takes us for a ride with autumn 2012 UK tour
Ex-Ride singer returns with string of solo shows, tickets on sale now
One of the keynote UK bands of the '90s arguably made a huge noise in their day, yet surprisingly created little more than a ripple in the mainstream. Ride had the looks, the tunes, the acclaimed live shows and the critics on their side, but Mr and Mrs General Public barely twitched when the Oxford quartet chimed and jangled their way into earshot.
Built for stadiums, yet consigned to venues, Mark Gardener's charges were always on the verge of greatness, yet never fully embraced. Being labelled with the term 'shoegaze' probably didn't endear them to casual listeners, but with patience, they would have been treated to the equal or better of their more successful label-mates at the time, namely The Boo Radleys (who ironically supported Ride on a few early shows) and a certain Oasis.
Debut album 'Nowhere' was a blistering powerhouse that challenged My Bloody Valentine for the 'beautiful noise' throne, but it was follow-up 'Going Blank Again', complete with resplendent single 'Leave Them All Behind', that threw them into the UK #5 for an all-too-brief dalliance with fame and fortune. Although follow-up albums 'Carnival of Light' and 'Tarantula' sold well, the writing was on the wall and Ride split in 1996. Gardener dabbled with another band (The ill-fated Animalhouse) until going solo at the turn of the century and with his own studios, OX-4-Sound, the songwriter has been busy overseeing studio sessions and releases by various local bands, as well as releasing a collaborative single with another luminary from the (cough) 'shoegaze' era, Robin Guthrie (Cocteau Twins) called 'The Places We Go'.
Later this year, Mark will be performing a handful of solo shows as a follow-up to his recent Sit Down and Sing tour of Germany and a pre-cursor to new material. Towns announced so far for shows in November include Brighton, London (Brixton), Leicester, Salford and Newcastle. Tickets are available now, priced from under a tenner (£12 for Brixton).
You may be interested in
- Sat 24th Feb 2018 to Sat 8th Sep 2018 Screening: Another Fine MessBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st Mar 2018 Jazz Butcher100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Mar 2018 to Sat 5th May 2018 Detroit Social ClubBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Mar 2018 and Fri 16th Mar 2018 White RoomBuy Tickets
- Tue 3rd Apr 2018 to Thu 3rd May 2018 Shonen KnifeBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Apr 2018 to Sun 28th Oct 2018 The Lovely EggsBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 RideSt Paul's Centre (Worthing)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 and Sun 29th Apr 2018 Harold BuddBuy Tickets
- Thu 10th May 2018 A Place To Bury StrangersThe Garage/ Thousand Island (Highbury)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Bearded Theory Festival, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Coral...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Common People Oxford, The Jacksons, The New Power Generation...South Park (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Common People Oxford, James, Ride, Maximo Park, DJ Craig Cha...South Park (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Echo and the Bunnymen, Peter Hook, The Jesus and Mary Chain: Skyline SeriesSt Philip's Gate (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Roger WatersHyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 The Cure, Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Inte...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Eric Clapton, ...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 Michael Bublé, Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyd...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Bruno Mars, Kh...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Paul Simon, Ja...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Thu 16th Aug 2018 to Sun 19th Aug 2018 Green Man FestivalBuy Tickets