Mediaeval Baebes announce 2012 UK Christmas Cathedral tour
Magical vocal ensemble return with seasonal dates and new album The Huntress, tickets on sale now
Yes we know - contained in that very headline is the 'c' word. But we make no apologies in this case because, in the case of these ladies, we are also talking about another 'c' - class.
Mediaeval Baebes were formed in the mid '90s when, according to legend (well, the biog on their website), a group of friends adorned themselves in 'flowing white gowns and crowns of ivy' before breaking into a North London cemetery for a spot of multi-lingual singing. As you do.
Slightly more believable is their proven track-record for shifting a lot of albums. Their debut 'Salva Nos' set the tone with songs derived from mediaeval times and sung sweetly in Latin, Italian and English, primarily a capella, and subsequent albums have stormed the Classical Charts and earned them enough status to perform with the likes of Jools Holland, Michael Flatley and, for the studio album 'Undrentide', John Cale (the ex-Velvets man produced it and performed/arranged on it).
Thankfully their brief brush with rock n' roll hasn't detracted from what The Baebes are all about - a celebration of vocal harmonies, language and Mediaeval history. Even without a phrase-book, their music is rather spell-binding, even more so when you discover that most of the subject-matter within their canon is about love, death, murder, being drunk and more death. Butter would melt in their mouths.
In October, the group will release a new album entitled 'The Huntress', harking a return to the basics of voice and traditional accompaniment - hurdy-gurdy, recorders, you name it - as well as plans to showcase the album in some of the UK's most impressive buildings.
The Christmas Cathedral Tour will start in Rochester Cathedral on 16th November, followed December shows in cathedrals in Norwich, Gloucester, Ely, Peterborough and finally Holborn in London on 21st December. We have tickets to the concerts available now, priced from £17.50. The all-girl ensemble will perform songs from the new album (the accompanying video is just one of them), as well as extracts from their earlier chart-hugging works.
You may be interested in
- Fri 25th May 2018 All Points East, LCD Soundsystem, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Phoenix, ...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 and Sun 27th May 2018 SqueezeBuy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 to Wed 6th Jun 2018 LCD SoundsystemBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 to Tue 12th Jun 2018 Patti SmithBuy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Jun 2018 APE Presents, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Patti Smith, St. ...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th Jun 2018 Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Patti SmithRoyal Hospital Kilmainham (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 Scala and Kolacny BrothersOlympia Theatre (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 Out of the BlueO2 Academy Oxford (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Jun 2018 and Sun 9th Sep 2018 Pub in the Park, Squeeze, The Christians, Scouting for Girls...Buy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Jul 2018 Paul Young, Happy Mondays, The Bluetones, Boomtown Rats [Gar...Jimmy's Farm (Ipswich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th Jul 2018 to Fri 12th Oct 2018 Terry RileyBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Inner City Live: Happy Mondays, Peter HookZebedee's Yard (Hull)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 Cool Britannia, Happy Mondays, The Lightning Seeds, Feeder, ...Knebworth House and Gardens (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Sep 2018 and Sat 20th Oct 2018 Steve Davis [snooker], Kavus TorabiBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 Shiiine On, Orbital, Shed Seven, Happy Mondays, Embrace, Gla...Genting/ NEC Arena (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 OnBlackheath, Squeeze, The Divine Comedy, Billy Bragg, Corin...Blackheath Common (London)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Sep 2018 OnBlackheath, Paloma Faith, De La Soul, Corinne Bailey Rae, ...Blackheath Common (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Apr 2019 Birmingham Classical, Ex Cathedra: St. Matthew PassionSymphony Hall (Birmingham)Buy Tickets