Slipknot join Iron Maiden and Rammstein as Download 2013 headliners
A second Slipknot headline slot alongside a fifth Maiden appearance and the German metallers' debut all set to turn Donington into a pyrotechnic powerhouse, tickets on sale Friday 28th September
What was once called Monsters of Rock is keeping that very spirit and notion alive some thirty years after its original conception. Y'see, Donington in Derbyshire has become synonymous with fans of rock music and metal mayhem and generations of denim and leather have trodden its hallowed ground, all in the name of music and a sense of wanting to belong to a tribe.
OK, that's the whimsical crap out of the way - who's going to Download and just what is it all about? In short, pretty much the same as it was in 2003 when, as a two-day festival, Donington park reverberated to then headliners Iron Maiden and Audioslave, alongside Marilyn Manson, Deftones, A and NOFX. All that's changed in the last ten years is the length and the sheer scale of the operation - over 100,000 punters watching over 40 bands across 5 stages a day. That is a lot of beer, burgers and big-names to look after. Aside from the high-winds and iffy weather, 2012 passed by successfully with The Prodigy, Metallica and a regrouped Black Sabbath performing as headliners. However, 2013 promises much.
The three headliners have been confirmed, kicking off with US metal giants Slipknot on the Friday. Slipknot's Clown said the band were "extremely honoured" to be playing again, adding: "This summer cannot come soon enough. Partake in the imagination or don't bitch."
Next up, Iron Maiden, metal's perennial British Bulldogs, will be appearing at Download for the fifth time since that inaugural year in 2003 - they will headline Saturday night. And then on Sunday, you've got Rammstein, Germany's most exciting export since, well, anything really. With the amount of pyrotechnics and rib-crushing riffage set to take place, you'd be well-advised to avoid using flammable hair-products or eating extra-large burritos beforehand - it could, it will get messy.
Tickets for Download 2013 will return to sale on Friday 28th September - weekend camping and arena-only options will then revert to a standard price.
More acts will be announced in due course.
- Wed 6th Jun 2018 DownloadDonington Park - Castle Donington (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Jun 2018 Download, Avenged SevenfoldDonington Park - Castle Donington (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jun 2018 Download, Guns N' RosesDonington Park - Castle Donington (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Jun 2018 Download, Ozzy OsbourneDonington Park - Castle Donington (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Tue 31st Jul 2018 Iron Maiden, Killswitch Engage: Legacy of the BeastMetro Radio Arena (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Thu 2nd Aug 2018 Iron Maiden, Killswitch Engage: Legacy of the BeastSSE Arena Belfast (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Aug 2018 Iron Maiden, Killswitch Engage: Legacy of the BeastAECC BHGE Arena (Aberdeen)Buy Tickets
- Mon 6th Aug 2018 Iron Maiden, Killswitch Engage: Legacy of the BeastManchester Arena (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Tue 7th Aug 2018 Iron Maiden, Killswitch Engage: Legacy of the BeastGenting/ NEC Arena (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 10th Aug 2018 Iron Maiden, Killswitch Engage: Legacy of the BeastThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 11th Aug 2018 Iron MaidenThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets