Win a pair of tickets to see Happy Mondays and 808 State Soundsystem in Brighton!
Competition: It's time to Rave On as legendary Salford scallies head to the South Coast for huge November show - two lucky people can win tickets
Formed as long ago as 1980, the Happy Mondays are that rare breed of band signed to a label on the strength of losing a competition, rather than winning it. The legend goes that erstwhile Factory head-honcho, the late Tony Wilson, saw them at a battle-of-the-bands contest, loved them, saw them come last (so the story goes) and inked a deal with the outfit, regardless. That, ladies and gentlemen, is proper talent-spotting.
Singer and upbeat-poet Shaun Ryder, alongside his brother Paul, Mark Day, Gary Whelan and the later arrivals of ubiquitous 'vibe' provider and dancer Bez and lung-busting soul-singing vocalist Rowetta, turned Manchester on its head with a string of huge funk-punk dance classics that oozed surprisingly feet-friendly rhythms, a confident swagger and Ryder's acerbic, comedic and sharp-tongued lyrics.
They weren't just about 'twistin' your melon, man' - the band released consistent albums and singles, from the debut 'Delightful' EP, via the euphoric 'Freaky' Dancin'', past the 'Madchester' classics of 'Step On', 'Wrote For Luck' and 'Hallelujah', right up to 'Kinky Afro', 'Loose Fit' and the under-rated 'Sunshine and Love'. 'Bummed' and 'Pills Thrills and Bellyaches' were, and still are, the stuff of legend and spot-on albums to boot.
After reforming earlier in 2012, Happy Mondays have been performing tours and festivals, recreating the chaotic madness that dogged their early live shows with a slick delivery and a party atmosphere. This autumn sees the band and Rowetta join forces with another classic Manchester outfit for a brace of shows in London and Brighton - 808 State and their celebrated soundsystem set-up will provide support. You know you want to go, right? For free? Read on (or step on).
We have a pair of tickets to see Happy Mondays perform in Brighton on 30th November 2012 and all you have to do to win is click on the Enter Competition button and follow the easy-peasy instructions.
Closing date for entries is at the end of the day on Monday (of course) 17th September.
- Enter Competition
- Enter Competition
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 Happy Mondays, Tom HingleyThe Avenue (Chesterfield)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 808 State, Lone: 30KOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 BezThe Exchange (Hanley)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 808 State, Lone: 30Hull University Students Union/ Middleton Hall/ Asylum (Hull)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 BezThe Con Club (Lewes)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Nov 2018 Black Grape, Shaun RyderO2 Academy Bristol (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 808 State, Lone: 30Pyramids Centre (Portsmouth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 808 State, Lone: 30SWX (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 808 State, Lone: 30Waterfront (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 808 State, Lone: 30O2 Institute (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 808 State, Lone: 30Sheffield University Students Union/ Octagon/ Foundry (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 808 StateSWG3 (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Dec 2018 808 State, LoneThe Welly Club (Hull)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Dec 2018 808 State, Lone: 30Manchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Mon 31st Dec 2018 Bez, New Year's Eve PartyThe Record Factory (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Mar 2019 Black Grape, Shaun RyderO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Apr 2019 Black Grape, Shaun RyderThe Garage/ G2/ Attic (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Apr 2019 Black Grape, Shaun RyderThe Liquid Rooms (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets