Steve Vai unveils The Story of Light for autumn 2012 tour
Legendary guitarist to promote first album for seven years with handful of shows, tickets on sale Friday
When you look back at guitarist Steve Vai's early career as Frank Zappa's extra pair of notating hands (and touring band member), it's understandable just how technically stunning his work really is. Vai began transcribing Zappa's 'Joes' Garage' album, eventually having them all published in the early '80s, alongside notations of the 'Shut Up and Play Guitar' series and just after being enrolled as a full-time member of Zappa's live band. To put things into perspective, this was on a par with being Bruce Dickinson's co-pilot or Elton John's jeweller.
After gleaning all that unforgettable experience, Vai went solo in 1983 and released his debut album, 'Flex-Able', a more than fitting title for the man's ability to wield an axe and produce an amalgam of riffs and sounds that appear seemingly impossible to some mortals. Perhaps his most familiar contribution to non-metal and straight-rock fans is his appearance on PiL's 1985 set, 'Album'. Back in the rock world, he's been in Whitesnake, David Lee Roth's band, Graham Bonnet's band and, of course, the successful Dweezil-fronted Zappa Plays Zappa tour (during 2006).
2012 will see the return of Steve Vai as a recording artist with 'The Story of Light', his eighth studio album and his first for over half a decade. According to an interview with MusicRadar, the new album will feature the enormous title-track, a bit of seven-string action on 'Velorum' and a cover (of sorts) of the blues-roots classic, 'John the Revelator'. You will no doubt get to hear all of these in the flesh when Vai hits these shores in December!
Stops on his UK tour include Portsmouth on 1st December, followed by Hammersmith, Wolves, Newcastle, Ipswich and finally (for now) Manchester on the 7th. Tickets are on sale from us on Friday 10th August, priced from £27.50 (£28.50 for London).
You may be interested in
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 to Wed 21st Nov 2018 Courtney BarnettBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 to Fri 25th Jan 2019 Martin BarreBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 to Sat 2nd Mar 2019 Andy Fairweather LowBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 and Fri 30th Nov 2018 Chris HolmesBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 Stanley Clarke, The Headhunters, London Jazz FestivalRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Nov 2018 to Wed 5th Dec 2018 Uli Jon RothBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 to Sun 10th Feb 2019 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 to Tue 11th Dec 2018 Les TriaboliquesBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 to Sat 22nd Jun 2019 ToyahBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Feb 2019 to Wed 20th Feb 2019 Slash, Myles Kennedy: Living the DreamBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Feb 2019 and Sun 24th Feb 2019 The Guitar ShowBuy Tickets
- Thu 7th Mar 2019 to Sun 24th Mar 2019 Tommy Emmanuel, J.D. SimoBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th Mar 2019 to Sun 17th Mar 2019 Bob MouldBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Mar 2019 Chelsea Blues Festival: Stevie Nimmo, Martin BarreUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets
- Tue 16th Apr 2019 AvantasiaO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 to Tue 30th Apr 2019 An Evening with: Devin TownsendBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Nov 2019 to Fri 29th Nov 2019 Steve Hackett: Genesis RevisitedBuy Tickets