The Luna Cinema presents open-air 2012 screenings of film classics across the South East
Madness of King George, West Side Story, Shrek, The King's Speech, Singin' In The Rain and many more to be aired during August and September, tickets on sale now
Y'know, despite the occasionally atrocious weather in this country, we Brits don't have such a bad old time when it comes to entertainment outdoors (and indoors, for that matter). Aside from all the usual fetes, air shows, circuses, festivals, stadium shows, firework displays, stunt showcases and theatre, there is always something a little different to whet our appetites and thrill our senses.
Sitting outside watching films isn't anything new of course, but Britain's Luna Cinema have long since been going one better than the American drive-thrus, a B-movie horror flick and a grope between the soft-top and the leatherette. Luna has one simple remit - to provide you with a full-sized cinema screening of a classic film in a beautiful or unusual location. During the past five years they've organized screenings within castle grounds, next to swimming pools and historical mansions and even though this year's season started last week, there are still some fantastic films to catch across the South East.
Below is the full line-up of currently-available options, but the highlights in August range from 'Singin' In The Rain' and 'Madness of King George' showing at Hampton Court on the 4th and 5th respectively, the ever-popular 'Back to the Future' at the grounds of Rochester Castle on the 11th and the excellent 'Flash Gordon' (with that classic Queen soundtrack) in Battersea Park on the 24th. Kids will also love 'Shrek' being shown at Lulworth Castle on 22nd August.
In September you can see 'The King's Speech' and 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' at Hayward's Heath's Wakehurst Place on the 14th and 15th, as well as hilarious comedy 'When Harry Met Sally' in Dulwich Park on the 20th and the classic 'West Side Story' at Hampton Court on the 22nd. Fans of 'Grease' can see the original Travolta/Newton-John musical at Kew Gardens on 8th September.
There are over a dozen lavish venues featured in Luna Cinema's summer screenings and, at £12.50-£16.50 a ticket, you may pay a little more than for sitting in a sweaty, popcorn-filled flea-pit with sticky seats but it's got to be worth it. They don't (often) make them or screen them like this anymore.
You may be interested in
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 to Tue 6th Mar 2018 Jimmy OsmondBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 to Sun 4th Mar 2018 Backyard Cinema: The Lego Ninjago MovieBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 to Sat 8th Sep 2018 Screening: Another Fine MessBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Feb 2018 to Sat 14th Jul 2018 Mamma Mia!Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 and Sat 3rd Mar 2018 The Sound of Musicals [Raymond Gubbay]Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Mar 2018 to Sat 17th Nov 2018 Sister Act Live ChoirBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Mar 2018 to Fri 16th Mar 2018 Banff Mountain Film FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sun 11th Mar 2018 to Thu 10th May 2018 National Theatre Live: MacbethBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Mar 2018 Vintage CinemaNatural History Museum (Tring)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Apr 2018 to Sun 13th May 2018 Fast and Furious LiveBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 and Sun 27th May 2018 Live at the Palace: Titanic with Live OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Mon 4th Jun 2018 Jonathan Ansell, Rhydian RobertsAssembly Hall Theatre (Tunbridge Wells)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th Jun 2018 to Sat 9th Jun 2018 Singin' in the RainBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th Jun 2018 The Italian Job in Concert - with Live OrchestraTheatre Royal Drury Lane (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 28th Nov 2018 to Thu 6th Dec 2018 Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons: Farewell TourBuy Tickets
- Wed 28th Nov 2018 to Sun 9th Dec 2018 Star Wars - A New Hope - Film with Live OrchestraBuy Tickets