Gravenhurst announces autumn 2012 UK shows
Alt-rock polymath Nick Talbot follows up festival slots with September gigs, on sale now
Typing Gravenhurst into Wikipedia throws up results that probably won't surprise many - your choice of Canadian town, Bedfordshire parish or UK band might not excite and entice but the latter's music possibly will.
Essentially, Gravenhurst is multi-instrumentalist and all-round lyrical good egg Nick Talbot, a man who has quietly gone about his business without so much of a mention of his Bristolian connections, nor a hit album to speak of. Well, I say 'quietly' - perhaps his music hasn't always been, bordering on feedback-smothered squalls similar to My Bloody Valentine and Husker Du, yet able to weave a mellow finger-picking good tune like a young Bert Jansch. He's knocked out several albums since he became influenced by the likes of The Smiths, The Cure and Joy Division, staple music meals for hungry, depressed and troubled teenagers and a hot-bed of inspiration for songwriting. He's toured with Broadcast and Explosions in the Sky, both as like-minded as you could wish to get.
This year, Talbot continues with the Gravenhurst ideal with yet another new album, 'The Ghost in Daylight', released back in April by Warp Records. As recent single 'The Prize' reveals, Talbot has opted to tread carefully, mixing his trademark gentle vocal with a subtle pretty epic that conjures up comparisons with Radiohead (circa The Bends) and Pale Saints (when they rocked out).
During the autumn, Gravenhurst the band will be performing a few select shows, including a slot at the End of the Road Festival on 2nd September and a string of headline gigs later the same month. So far, Talbot and co have confirmed Leeds on 24th September, Nottingham on the 25th, London on 26th (the unusual venue of Cecil Sharp House in East London) and Brighton on the 27th. Tickets are on sale now, priced from £7 up to £12.50.
You may be interested in
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 !!! Chk Chk Chk: Brooklyn Brewery and Old EmpireBush Hall (Shepherds Bush)More Info..
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 Luke VibertElectrowerkz (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, Pete Tong, Jules Buckley,...Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Dopplereffekt, Speedy J, MumdanceOval Space (Bethnal Green)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 to Thu 7th Feb 2019 BEAK>Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 Prefuse 73Hangar (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Wed 28th Nov 2018 to Fri 11th Jan 2019 DuotoneBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 to Sun 10th Feb 2019 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 and Sun 9th Dec 2018 LoscilBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 Flying Lotus, Iglooghost, LapaluxMotion/ The Marble Factory (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Feb 2019 Seu Jorge, The Heritage OrchestraEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Feb 2019 and Mon 18th Feb 2019 Yo La TengoBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Feb 2019 23 Skidoo100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Mar 2019 Oneohtrix Point NeverRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Mar 2019 InterrobangKatie Fitzgerald's (Stourbridge)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Apr 2019 to Sat 20th Apr 2019 Headsticks, Interrobang, Steve IgnorantBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 Neighbourhood Weekender, George Ezra, Primal Scream, Nothing...Victoria Park (Warrington)Buy Tickets