Gravenhurst announces autumn 2012 UK shows
Alt-rock polymath Nick Talbot follows up festival slots with September gigs, on sale now
Typing Gravenhurst into Wikipedia throws up results that probably won't surprise many - your choice of Canadian town, Bedfordshire parish or UK band might not excite and entice but the latter's music possibly will.
Essentially, Gravenhurst is multi-instrumentalist and all-round lyrical good egg Nick Talbot, a man who has quietly gone about his business without so much of a mention of his Bristolian connections, nor a hit album to speak of. Well, I say 'quietly' - perhaps his music hasn't always been, bordering on feedback-smothered squalls similar to My Bloody Valentine and Husker Du, yet able to weave a mellow finger-picking good tune like a young Bert Jansch. He's knocked out several albums since he became influenced by the likes of The Smiths, The Cure and Joy Division, staple music meals for hungry, depressed and troubled teenagers and a hot-bed of inspiration for songwriting. He's toured with Broadcast and Explosions in the Sky, both as like-minded as you could wish to get.
This year, Talbot continues with the Gravenhurst ideal with yet another new album, 'The Ghost in Daylight', released back in April by Warp Records. As recent single 'The Prize' reveals, Talbot has opted to tread carefully, mixing his trademark gentle vocal with a subtle pretty epic that conjures up comparisons with Radiohead (circa The Bends) and Pale Saints (when they rocked out).
During the autumn, Gravenhurst the band will be performing a few select shows, including a slot at the End of the Road Festival on 2nd September and a string of headline gigs later the same month. So far, Talbot and co have confirmed Leeds on 24th September, Nottingham on the 25th, London on 26th (the unusual venue of Cecil Sharp House in East London) and Brighton on the 27th. Tickets are on sale now, priced from £7 up to £12.50.
You may be interested in
- Fri 17th Aug 2018 Rize Festival, Liam Gallagher, James Bay, Craig David, Plan ...Hylands Park (Chelmsford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Aug 2018 and Fri 14th Sep 2018 Andrew WeatherallBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 Rize Festival, Stereophonics, Bastille, Years and Years, Rag...Hylands Park (Chelmsford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 19th Aug 2018 Phoenix, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Nils Frahm, Jungle, The Lemon...Le Fort De Saint-Pere (France)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 This Must Be The Place: Ghostpoet, Happy MealsBelgrave Music Hall (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Wed 29th Aug 2018 Yo La TengoKomedia (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th Aug 2018 to Sat 1st Sep 2018 Death GripsBuy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Sep 2018 Oh Sees, BEAK>, Flat WormsO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Sep 2018 Maximo Park, Field Music, Du BlondeThe Sage (Gateshead)More Info..
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 and Fri 9th Nov 2018 Nightmares On WaxBuy Tickets
- Mon 1st Oct 2018 to Thu 4th Oct 2018 AnathemaBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 and Fri 12th Oct 2018 Richie Hawtin: CLOSE - Spontaneity and SynchronicityBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 and Fri 12th Oct 2018 Portico QuartetBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 Current 93, Nurse With WoundO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 to Mon 22nd Oct 2018 Halo MaudBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Slowdive, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, James Holden, Kam...Various Bristol Venues (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Wed 31st Oct 2018 and Thu 1st Nov 2018 The GardenBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 Lydia LunchMoth Club (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Nov 2018 23 Skidoo100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 to Sun 10th Feb 2019 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, Pete Tong, Jules Buckley,...Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 to Wed 28th Nov 2018 BEAK>On SaleFri 17th Augat 9am
- Wed 28th Nov 2018 and Wed 5th Dec 2018 DuotoneBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Mar 2019 Oneohtrix Point NeverRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets