The all-new Doctor Who Experience launches in Cardiff in July 2012
The world's largest collection of Doctor Who memorabilia, accompanied by lots of exciting interactive bits, opens at a purpose-built venue next month - we have tickets available now
Much has been made, in recent years, of the so-called age of the geek. Nestling tidily among the episodes of Family Guy and True Blood on said geeks' Sky+ library are, with only rare exception, numerous series of Doctor Who.
Although the reborn Doctor has now been time-travelling and saving the universe since 2005, beginning with Christopher Eccleston as the ninth Doctor, the huge majority of people in the UK will have formed a connection of one sort or another with the franchise down the years. Whether it be the grainy black-and-white adventures of early incarnations played by William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton or the Technicolor scarf and hypnotic timbre of the wonderful Tom Baker; Doctor Who means something to everyone. Some kids were even scared by the theme tune.
Under the careful stewardship of Russell T Davies and Stephen Moffat, the 'new' Doctors, played by Eccleston, David Tennant and, currently, the BAFTA-nominated Matt Smith, has continued to flourish without straying from its winning formula of hugely ambitious story lines delivered with a hint of fear and a tongue in the cheek. The new series have spawned off-shoots such as Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures and enhanced the legacy of a programme with five rich decades of history.
Much of this glorious history can soon be found in a purpose-built venue in the Cardiff Bay which will house the world's biggest collection of Doctor Who costumes and memorabilia. The exhibition will offer such thrills as a replica set of the inside of the Tardis and a whole range of typically 21st century interaction and fun: "Featuring exclusive filmed sequences with Matt Smith and packed with amazing special effects this multi-sensory experience is fun for the family and fans alike."
The Doctor Who Experience opens on 20th July, now booking until April 2013. We have tickets available now, priced from £9 for kids (ages 5 - 16) and £13 for adults. Under-5s go free.
You may be interested in
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Thu 14th Jun 2018 Game of Thrones Live Concert ExperienceBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Sun 9th Sep 2018 Dawn of the Superheroes - The DC Comic StoryBuy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Game of Thrones Live Concert Experience, Ramin DjawadiWembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 and Mon 2nd Jul 2018 Robin InceBuy Tickets
- Sun 24th Jun 2018 Wakefield Comic-ConLightwaves Leisure Centre (Wakefield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jun 2018 Aylesbury Comic-ConStoke Mandeville Stadium (Aylesbury)Buy Tickets
- Thu 12th Jul 2018 A Celebration of the Music from The Lord of The Rings, Game ...The Bridgewater Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 11th Aug 2018 to Sat 29th Sep 2018 The League of Gentlemen Live Again!Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 Coventry Comic ConSports Connexion (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 Professor Brian Cox, Robin InceEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Feb 2019 to Fri 1st Mar 2019 Professor Brian CoxBuy Tickets