Modern English prepare to Melt With You with autumn 2012 UK tour [tour postponed]
Update: the 2012 UK tour has been postponed until 2013
For all its spit, sawdust and safety-pin ethics, punk did have a use after all - it gave the UK some identity and, in a musical sea of dismal disco and cheesy pop, an element of credibility. Even the disco and pop started to get a whole lot more bearable by the end of the '70s. The original punks meanwhile, either crashed and burned, carried on hammering out two-note riffs in half-arsed bands or discovered 'melody', 'imagination' and 'grew up'. Those bands are still going, by the way, with the BBC celebrating many of them during their Punk Britannia season - it's been well worth watching.
Punk also inspired many bands to form long after the dust and drama had settled and Modern English were one such outfit. After hardly troubling the world with the debut self-issued single 'Drowning Man', the original quintet found themselves with a John Peel session and a deal with the then-fledgling indie 4AD. Vocalist Robbie Grey continued to unsettle with half-sung, half-spoken lyrics on 'Swans on Glass', 'Gathering Dust' and 'Smiles and Laughter', before the band shifted into the more song-based, sinister, bleak atmospherics of the first album 'Mesh and Lace'.
But it was 1982 which saw their sound lighten and their fortunes change, albeit in the States. The song 'I Melt With You', from the gentler and more pastoral album 'After The Snow', has comfortably racked up over 3 million viewers on You Tube in just 3 years since its official upload. College radio loved it, Nouvelle Vague, Jason Mraz and Bowling For Soup have covered it and the song paved the way for album number three 'Ricochet Days', their last for the label. Despite being even more commercial, yet still underrated and ignored, Modern English inked a deal with Sire and slowly lost sight of their UK audience. Until now.
After a 'comeback' album in 2010 ('Soundtrack'), the original members of the Essex band are set to unleash their 8th full-length set later this year at around the same time as some rare UK dates. Modern English will perform the hits (and misses) from their heyday, as well as new selections, starting in Leeds on 5th September, followed by Glasgow, Manchester, Bristol and finally Camden. We have tickets for all shows, priced at £13. Oh and check out the (very '80s) video for 'I Melt With You'.
Update: Tour postponed
The 2012 UK tour has been postponed until 2013. New dates will appear below as we have them. In the meantime: ticket-holders should either hold tight or request a refund from their point of purchase.
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 Modern English100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Thu 22nd Feb 2018 to Mon 5th Mar 2018 Bon IverBuy Tickets
- Sun 4th Mar 2018 to Tue 6th Mar 2018 Editors: ViolenceBuy Tickets
- Mon 12th Mar 2018 to Thu 29th Mar 2018 Gary Numan: Savage Tour Part 2Buy Tickets
- Tue 13th Mar 2018 to Wed 11th Jul 2018 tUnE-yArDsBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Apr 2018 to Fri 18th May 2018 Broken RecordsBuy Tickets
- Wed 25th Apr 2018 and Thu 26th Apr 2018 She Past AwayBuy Tickets
- Wed 16th May 2018 to Sat 19th May 2018 U.S GirlsBuy Tickets
- Thu 17th May 2018 SohnRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 and Sun 27th May 2018 DeerhunterBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Unknown Mortal Orchestra, DeerhunterAlbert Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Neighbourhood Festival, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, ...Victoria Park (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 to Fri 13th Jul 2018 The BreedersBuy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 to Sun 9th Sep 2018 The The: Skyline SeriesBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 APE Presents, The National, The War On Drugs, Cat Power, Pub...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Jun 2018 APE Presents, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Patti Smith, St. ...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jun 2018 to Wed 20th Jun 2018 BellyBuy Tickets
- Mon 11th Jun 2018 to Fri 20th Jul 2018 Future Islands: Skyline SeriesBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 and Sat 16th Jun 2018 The NationalBuy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 The Cure, Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Inte...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 NOS Alive, Queens of the Stone Age, The NationalPasseio Marítimo de Algés (Lisbon)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Reading Festival, Fall Out Boy, Post Malone, Wolf Alice, Not...Little John's Farm (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 Leeds Festival, Fall Out Boy, Post Malone, Wolf Alice, Nothi...Bramham Park (Leeds)Buy Tickets