Shonen Knife to bring slices of Pop Tunes on autumn 2012 UK tour
Legendary Japanese all-girl power-pop trio will headline several October shows, tickets on sale from Friday 15th June
With underground DIY punk ethics being readily mentioned in various 'Punk Britannia'-related documentaries, radio shows and exhibitions at the moment, spare a thought for women in the new-wave scene back in the '70s. There weren't nearly enough of them, save for Siouxsie, Poly Styrene, Patti Smith, Debbie Harry and bands such as The Slits and Kleenex, although one band on the other side of the world was readying itself to remedy the situation.
Japan's musically eccentric reputation continued throughout the '80s with the gradual expansion of its homegrown 'J-Pop' scene. YMO (Yellow Magic Orchestra) admirably and internationally pulled the intrinsically guitar-based genre into the electronic age, while other musicians preferred to rock. Shonen Knife formed in 1981 and preferred to distance themselves from any scene by cranking up the amps, absorbing ideas from the UK and US punk scenes (The Buzzcocks and Ramones are an obvious comparable) and dishing out their own early take on 'girl-power'. If The Shirelles had been around during 1977, they might have sounded like this.
After several years, Shonen Knife's first break came in 1986 when American rock 'n' grunge icon, Sub Pop, snuck a song of theirs onto a compilation album, 'Sub Pop 100'. There followed a tidal-wave of admiring labels, artists and DJs offering lucrative deals, sessions and kind words, not least John Peel, Kurt Cobain, Sonic Youth and Creation Records, who inked a deal for them to issue 1993's 'Rock Animals'. The perky Japanese trio certainly brightened up NME etc, but their time passed all too quickly and the '90s turned into Britpop-a-go-go.
However, back home, Shonen Knife continue to sell well, with added interest from the States continuing right up to the present day. The Simpson's creator Matt Groening chose them for his All Tomorrow's Parties weekend in 2010 and tours often result in sold out shows. For 2012, the girls return with new member Emi Morimoto and a new album entitled, 'Pop Tune'. You can watch the title-track's predictably quirky video in this article, before gleaning tour date information below.
First stop is Shoreditch on 1st October (with Wussy and American Werewolf Academy), followed by Manchester, Nottingham and more until Bristol on 10th October. We will have tickets on sale from Friday 15th June at 8am.
You may be interested in
- Thu 28th Jun 2018 to Thu 15th Nov 2018 Screening: White ChristmasBuy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 to Wed 4th Jul 2018 Electric Eel ShockBuy Tickets
- Thu 5th Jul 2018 Innervisions Festival, Soil and 'Pimp' SessionsUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 The Cure, Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Inte...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 Mostly Jazz, Funk and Soul Festival, Candi Staton, Lucky Cho...Moseley Park (Moseley)Buy Tickets
- Thu 12th Jul 2018 BarringtoneWindmill (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 Hook and Sling Festival, Osaka Monaurail, The Mighty Mocambo...229 the venue - Great Portland Street (Marylebone)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 Cymbeline [band]O2 Academy Birmingham (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Mon 23rd Jul 2018 and Fri 9th Nov 2018 Acid Mothers TempleBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Jul 2018 Indietracks, British Sea Power, Honeyblood, The Lovely Eggs,...Midland Railway - Butterley Station (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Jul 2018 Standon Calling, George Ezra, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, M...Standon (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Aug 2018 Man With a MissionThe Cathouse (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 to Mon 27th Aug 2018 Blonde RedheadBuy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Sep 2018 Moseley Folk Festival, Teenage Fanclub, Steve Harley, King C...Moseley Park (Moseley)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Sep 2018 Esprit D'AirBoston Arms/ The Dome - Tufnell Park (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Tue 18th Sep 2018 Crown the Empire, Volumes, ColdrainThe Haunt (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Oct 2018 to Sat 13th Oct 2018 Stu Larsen, Natsuki KuraiBuy Tickets
- Thu 4th Oct 2018 MONO [JP], A Storm of LightCluny (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 MONO [JP]Left Bank [formerly St Margaret of Antioch] (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 BMX BanditsOld Cinema Launderette (Durham)Buy Tickets
- Tue 9th Oct 2018 to Thu 11th Oct 2018 LiteBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 The Lovely EggsBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 to Sat 20th Oct 2018 Bo NingenBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 to Sun 21st Oct 2018 CrossfaithBuy Tickets
- Tue 16th Oct 2018 Dir En Grey: Wearing Human SkinElectric Ballroom (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Tomoyasu HoteiO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Ghostpoet, Jane Weaver, Nadine Shah, Suuns, The Lovely Eggs,...Various Oxford Venues (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 to Thu 15th Nov 2018 Teenage Fanclub: The Creation Records YearsBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st Nov 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 The House of LoveBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 Lydia LunchMoth Club (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 The War On Drugs, SlowdiveThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets