Shonen Knife to bring slices of Pop Tunes on autumn 2012 UK tour
Legendary Japanese all-girl power-pop trio will headline several October shows, tickets on sale from Friday 15th June
With underground DIY punk ethics being readily mentioned in various 'Punk Britannia'-related documentaries, radio shows and exhibitions at the moment, spare a thought for women in the new-wave scene back in the '70s. There weren't nearly enough of them, save for Siouxsie, Poly Styrene, Patti Smith, Debbie Harry and bands such as The Slits and Kleenex, although one band on the other side of the world was readying itself to remedy the situation.
Japan's musically eccentric reputation continued throughout the '80s with the gradual expansion of its homegrown 'J-Pop' scene. YMO (Yellow Magic Orchestra) admirably and internationally pulled the intrinsically guitar-based genre into the electronic age, while other musicians preferred to rock. Shonen Knife formed in 1981 and preferred to distance themselves from any scene by cranking up the amps, absorbing ideas from the UK and US punk scenes (The Buzzcocks and Ramones are an obvious comparable) and dishing out their own early take on 'girl-power'. If The Shirelles had been around during 1977, they might have sounded like this.
After several years, Shonen Knife's first break came in 1986 when American rock 'n' grunge icon, Sub Pop, snuck a song of theirs onto a compilation album, 'Sub Pop 100'. There followed a tidal-wave of admiring labels, artists and DJs offering lucrative deals, sessions and kind words, not least John Peel, Kurt Cobain, Sonic Youth and Creation Records, who inked a deal for them to issue 1993's 'Rock Animals'. The perky Japanese trio certainly brightened up NME etc, but their time passed all too quickly and the '90s turned into Britpop-a-go-go.
However, back home, Shonen Knife continue to sell well, with added interest from the States continuing right up to the present day. The Simpson's creator Matt Groening chose them for his All Tomorrow's Parties weekend in 2010 and tours often result in sold out shows. For 2012, the girls return with new member Emi Morimoto and a new album entitled, 'Pop Tune'. You can watch the title-track's predictably quirky video in this article, before gleaning tour date information below.
First stop is Shoreditch on 1st October (with Wussy and American Werewolf Academy), followed by Manchester, Nottingham and more until Bristol on 10th October. We will have tickets on sale from Friday 15th June at 8am.
You may be interested in
- Mon 1st Oct 2018 to Fri 5th Oct 2018 MONO [JP]Buy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Oct 2018 to Sat 13th Oct 2018 Stu Larsen, Natsuki KuraiBuy Tickets
- Thu 4th Oct 2018 MONO [JP], A Storm of LightCluny (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 and Fri 7th Dec 2018 BMX BanditsBuy Tickets
- Tue 9th Oct 2018 to Sun 14th Oct 2018 ENJOYsugoi Festival: LiteBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 The Lovely EggsBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 to Sat 20th Oct 2018 Bo NingenBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 to Sun 21st Oct 2018 CrossfaithBuy Tickets
- Tue 16th Oct 2018 Dir En Grey: Wearing Human SkinElectric Ballroom (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 SWN Festival, The Go! Team, Boy Azooga, Gaz Coombes, Bo Ning...Various Cardiff Venues (Cardiff)More Info..
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Tomoyasu HoteiO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Ghostpoet, Jane Weaver, Nadine Shah, Suuns, The Lovely Eggs,...Various Oxford Venues (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Slowdive, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, James Holden, Kam...Various Bristol Venues (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Black Peaks, Sikth, Crossfaith, The SkintsLeadmill (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Oct 2018 to Wed 9th Jan 2019 Manu Delago: Screening - Parasol PeakBuy Tickets
- Mon 29th Oct 2018 to Thu 15th Nov 2018 Teenage Fanclub: The Creation Records YearsBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st Nov 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 The House of Love, Thousand Yard Stare: 30th AnniversaryBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 Lydia LunchMoth Club (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 to Sun 11th Nov 2018 Acid Mothers TempleBuy Tickets
- Thu 8th Nov 2018 A Celebration of Daniel Treacy: Television Personalities, Alan McGee100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Mon 12th Nov 2018 to Sun 18th Nov 2018 ENJOYsugoi Festival: TricotBuy Tickets
- Tue 13th Nov 2018 to Wed 21st Nov 2018 Mutant MonsterBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 Scout NiblettThe Dalston Victoria (Dalston)Buy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 ONE OK ROCKHeaven (Westminster)On SaleFri 28th Sepat 10am
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 The War On Drugs, SlowdiveThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 Cibo MattoThe Night and Day Cafe (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 16th Jan 2019 to Fri 25th Jan 2019 J MascisBuy Tickets