Shonen Knife to bring slices of Pop Tunes on autumn 2012 UK tour
Legendary Japanese all-girl power-pop trio will headline several October shows, tickets on sale from Friday 15th June
With underground DIY punk ethics being readily mentioned in various 'Punk Britannia'-related documentaries, radio shows and exhibitions at the moment, spare a thought for women in the new-wave scene back in the '70s. There weren't nearly enough of them, save for Siouxsie, Poly Styrene, Patti Smith, Debbie Harry and bands such as The Slits and Kleenex, although one band on the other side of the world was readying itself to remedy the situation.
Japan's musically eccentric reputation continued throughout the '80s with the gradual expansion of its homegrown 'J-Pop' scene. YMO (Yellow Magic Orchestra) admirably and internationally pulled the intrinsically guitar-based genre into the electronic age, while other musicians preferred to rock. Shonen Knife formed in 1981 and preferred to distance themselves from any scene by cranking up the amps, absorbing ideas from the UK and US punk scenes (The Buzzcocks and Ramones are an obvious comparable) and dishing out their own early take on 'girl-power'. If The Shirelles had been around during 1977, they might have sounded like this.
After several years, Shonen Knife's first break came in 1986 when American rock 'n' grunge icon, Sub Pop, snuck a song of theirs onto a compilation album, 'Sub Pop 100'. There followed a tidal-wave of admiring labels, artists and DJs offering lucrative deals, sessions and kind words, not least John Peel, Kurt Cobain, Sonic Youth and Creation Records, who inked a deal for them to issue 1993's 'Rock Animals'. The perky Japanese trio certainly brightened up NME etc, but their time passed all too quickly and the '90s turned into Britpop-a-go-go.
However, back home, Shonen Knife continue to sell well, with added interest from the States continuing right up to the present day. The Simpson's creator Matt Groening chose them for his All Tomorrow's Parties weekend in 2010 and tours often result in sold out shows. For 2012, the girls return with new member Emi Morimoto and a new album entitled, 'Pop Tune'. You can watch the title-track's predictably quirky video in this article, before gleaning tour date information below.
First stop is Shoreditch on 1st October (with Wussy and American Werewolf Academy), followed by Manchester, Nottingham and more until Bristol on 10th October. We will have tickets on sale from Friday 15th June at 8am.
You may also be interested in
- Fri 27th Apr 2018 to Wed 31st Oct 2018 Screening: Young FrankensteinBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Apr 2018 Brix and the ExtricatedThe Ruby Lounge (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 2nd May 2018 to Fri 2nd Nov 2018 Goat GirlBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th May 2018 She Makes WarMole's Club (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th May 2018 Bo Ningen53 Degrees (University of Central Lancashire) (Preston)Buy Tickets
- Sun 6th May 2018 Circa Waves, Drenge, The Big Moon, Idles, Future of the Left...: PeepshowO2 Academy Leicester (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th May 2018 The Charlatans: Screening, Average Sex - Live All Over The WorldJimmy's (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th May 2018 The Charlatans, Screening: ScreeningCafe INDIEpendent (Scunthorpe)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th May 2018 Kyary Pamyu PamyuKOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 24th May 2018 to Sun 28th Oct 2018 The Lovely EggsBuy Tickets
- Thu 24th May 2018 to Fri 1st Jun 2018 WussyBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Bearded Theory Festival, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Coral...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 BMX BanditsMacintosh Queen's Cross Church (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 The Bevis Frond, Jazz Butcher100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 Field Day, Erykah Badu, Children of Zeus, The Comet is Comin...Brockwell Park (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 The PastelsMacintosh Queen's Cross Church (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Echo and the Bunnymen, Peter Hook, The Jesus and Mary Chain: Skyline SeriesSt Philip's Gate (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Meltdown Festival, MONO [JP]Queen Elizabeth Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Meltdown Festival, My Bloody ValentineRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Jun 2018 to Sun 1st Jul 2018 Electric Eel ShockBuy Tickets
- Thu 5th Jul 2018 Innervisions Festival, Soil and 'Pimp' SessionsUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 The Cure, Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Inte...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 Mostly Jazz, Funk and Soul Festival, Candi Staton, Lucky Cho...Moseley Park (Moseley)Buy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jul 2018 Citadel Festival, Tame Impala, CHVRCHES, Leon Bridges, Fat W...Gunnersbury Park (Ealing)Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Jul 2018 Indietracks, British Sea Power, Honeyblood, The Lovely Eggs,...Midland Railway - Butterley Station (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Jul 2018 Standon Calling, George Ezra, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, M...Standon (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Sep 2018 Moseley Folk Festival, Teenage Fanclub, Steve Harley, King C...Moseley Park (Moseley)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Tomoyasu HoteiO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 to Thu 15th Nov 2018 Teenage Fanclub: The Creation Records YearsOn SaleFri 27th Aprat 9am
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 The House of LoveRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets