Animal Collective unveil new album and UK 2012 tour dates
'Centipede Hz' and 'Honeycomb' to feature at London, Glasgow and Manchester shows, tickets on sale from Friday 15th June
You cannot accuse Animal Collective of ever having been 'just another alternative psychedelic band'. For a start, they don't stick to the same line-up too often, veering from duo to trio to quartet and initially prone to wearing disguises on stage, running their own record labels (now currently Paw Tracks) and creating far-out and far-reaching music that cannot simply be pigeonholed as 'psychedelic'. Or anything. The band obviously share some interest in the likes of Can or Cluster, yet have the rhythmic hallmarks of Eno and Beefheart and a penchant for, well, changing tack.
To this end, Animal Collective have a following bordering on geek. Next week sees the release of a 7"-only single, 'Honeycomb' via Domino, the type of limited edition that will sell out in seconds. Their most recent UK activity beforehand was their own ATP (All Tomorrow's Parties) bash in Minehead last year - they chose Lee Scratch Perry, Gang Gang Dance and Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, amongst other guests to provide a weekend of earnest leftfield madness. And new album 'Centipede Hz' contains song titles that might double up as novels by Philip K.Dick or William S.Burroughs. 'Applesauce' and 'Moonjock' anybody?
Critical acclaim from the UK music press initially came their way via 2009's 'Merriweather Post Pavilion'. Pretty much every magazine fell over its own adjectives and superlatives to describe it, with Uncut declaring it as 'an album of the century'. Big words indeed. And perhaps even bigger accolades will be adorning Animal Collective's bulging CV by the time their 2012 album gets its release. 'Centipede Hz' is due out in September, just a few weeks before the Maryland quartet regroup for some live action.
The band will perform three UK shows in November, starting initially with London's Roundhouse on 4th November, before heading up to Glasgow on the 7th and then to Manchester on the 8th. We will have tickets on sale from Friday 15th June, with prices averaging around £20 for London and £18.50 for Glasgow and Manchester. More UK shows may be added in due course so favourite this page for updates.
You may be interested in
- Sat 28th Jul 2018 CaribouFestival Big Top (Galway)Buy Tickets
- Thu 2nd Aug 2018 Palace, Chic, My Baby, Mahalia, Kamasi Washington, Joy Crook...Cornbury Park (Chipping Norton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 6th Aug 2018 Grizzly Bear, Jon Hopkins, Turbonegro, AuroraThree Ponds Valley (Poland)Buy Tickets
- Tue 14th Aug 2018 Sziget Festival, Arctic Monkeys, The War On Drugs, Zara Lars...Obudai Island - Budapest (Hungary)Buy Tickets
- Wed 15th Aug 2018 to Fri 28th Sep 2018 Arctic MonkeysBuy Tickets
- Thu 16th Aug 2018 to Sat 1st Sep 2018 King CreosoteBuy Tickets
- Sun 19th Aug 2018 to Wed 22nd Aug 2018 Dirty ProjectorsBuy Tickets
- Sun 19th Aug 2018 Phoenix, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Nils Frahm, Jungle, The Lemon...Le Fort De Saint-Pere (France)Buy Tickets
- Mon 27th Aug 2018 This Must Be The Place: Ezra Furman, Girl Ray, Fake Laugh, Spinning CoinBelgrave Music Hall (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Sep 2018 Moseley Folk Festival, Teenage Fanclub, Steve Harley, King C...Moseley Park (Moseley)Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Sep 2018 to Thu 27th Sep 2018 Arctic Monkeys, The Lemon TwigsBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Sep 2018 The British Sound Project, Franz Ferdinand, The Cribs, Larki...Victoria Warehouse (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 Franz FerdinandRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 27th Sep 2018 to Thu 7th Feb 2019 Anna CalviBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 Pantha Du PrinceJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 15th Oct 2018 to Tue 30th Oct 2018 SuperorganismBuy Tickets
- Wed 17th Oct 2018 to Thu 25th Oct 2018 Stephen Malkmus and the JicksBuy Tickets
- Wed 17th Oct 2018 to Wed 31st Oct 2018 Villagers: The Art of Pretending to SwimBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 to Thu 22nd Nov 2018 Jon Hopkins: SingularityBuy Tickets
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 Metropolis Festival, VillagersRDS Arena [Royal Dublin Society] (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Mon 29th Oct 2018 Blood OrangeO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Nov 2018 Colin StetsonHackney Arts Centre (Stoke Newington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 to Mon 26th Nov 2018 Middle KidsBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 Ulrich SchnaussOval Space (Bethnal Green)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 The Pretty Things, David Gilmour, Van Morrison: Final BowIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets