Animal Collective unveil new album and UK 2012 tour dates
'Centipede Hz' and 'Honeycomb' to feature at London, Glasgow and Manchester shows, tickets on sale from Friday 15th June
You cannot accuse Animal Collective of ever having been 'just another alternative psychedelic band'. For a start, they don't stick to the same line-up too often, veering from duo to trio to quartet and initially prone to wearing disguises on stage, running their own record labels (now currently Paw Tracks) and creating far-out and far-reaching music that cannot simply be pigeonholed as 'psychedelic'. Or anything. The band obviously share some interest in the likes of Can or Cluster, yet have the rhythmic hallmarks of Eno and Beefheart and a penchant for, well, changing tack.
To this end, Animal Collective have a following bordering on geek. Next week sees the release of a 7"-only single, 'Honeycomb' via Domino, the type of limited edition that will sell out in seconds. Their most recent UK activity beforehand was their own ATP (All Tomorrow's Parties) bash in Minehead last year - they chose Lee Scratch Perry, Gang Gang Dance and Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, amongst other guests to provide a weekend of earnest leftfield madness. And new album 'Centipede Hz' contains song titles that might double up as novels by Philip K.Dick or William S.Burroughs. 'Applesauce' and 'Moonjock' anybody?
Critical acclaim from the UK music press initially came their way via 2009's 'Merriweather Post Pavilion'. Pretty much every magazine fell over its own adjectives and superlatives to describe it, with Uncut declaring it as 'an album of the century'. Big words indeed. And perhaps even bigger accolades will be adorning Animal Collective's bulging CV by the time their 2012 album gets its release. 'Centipede Hz' is due out in September, just a few weeks before the Maryland quartet regroup for some live action.
The band will perform three UK shows in November, starting initially with London's Roundhouse on 4th November, before heading up to Glasgow on the 7th and then to Manchester on the 8th. We will have tickets on sale from Friday 15th June, with prices averaging around £20 for London and £18.50 for Glasgow and Manchester. More UK shows may be added in due course so favourite this page for updates.
You may be interested in
- Sat 24th Feb 2018 and Sun 25th Feb 2018 Franz Ferdinand: Always AscendingBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 to Mon 5th Mar 2018 Bon IverBuy Tickets
- Tue 27th Feb 2018 to Thu 22nd Mar 2018 Spinning CoinBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st Mar 2018 to Thu 15th Mar 2018 All We AreBuy Tickets
- Mon 5th Mar 2018 to Mon 12th Mar 2018 SuperorganismBuy Tickets
- Thu 8th Mar 2018 to Fri 1st Jun 2018 King CreosoteBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 Ulrich SchnaussThe Blue Orange Theatre (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Mar 2018 AdemThe Cumberland Arms (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Mar 2018 Jon HopkinsThe Invisible Wind Factory (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Mon 2nd Apr 2018 and Tue 3rd Apr 2018 Panda BearBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th Apr 2018 to Mon 16th Apr 2018 Arcade FireBuy Tickets
- Tue 17th Apr 2018 to Fri 20th Apr 2018 Alexis TaylorBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Apr 2018 ClinicThe White Hotel (Salford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 and Sun 27th May 2018 DeerhunterBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Unknown Mortal Orchestra, DeerhunterAlbert Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 All Points East, Björk, Beck, Father John Misty, Flying...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Thu 31st May 2018 to Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Primavera SoundBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 Field Day, Erykah Badu, Children of Zeus, The Comet is Comin...Brockwell Park (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Long Division Festival, Billy Bragg, King Creosote, Charlott...Various Wakefield Venues (Wakefield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Field Day, Four Tet, Nils Frahm, Floating Points, Thundercat...Brockwell Park (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Foo Fighters, The Kills, SlavesThe London Stadium - Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (Newham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Jul 2018 TRNSMT, Arctic Monkeys, Interpol, Blossoms, Nothing But Thie...Glasgow Green (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jul 2018 TRNSMT, The Killers, Franz FerdinandGlasgow Green (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 12th Jul 2018 NOS Alive, Arctic Monkeys, Nine Inch NailsPasseio Marítimo de Algés (Lisbon)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Jul 2018 CaribouFestival Big Top (Galway)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 Pantha Du PrinceJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets