The Two Worlds of Charlie F begins tour in Birmingham in July 2012
Owen Sheers' darkly funny and authentic story of injured service personnel, from the battlefield to the hospital bed back home, is touring this summer, tickets on sale now/soon
In a summer set to be packed with Olympic sport and international football, the proudly patriotic among us will, no doubt, be sporting union jack shorts and cross of St George facepaint all too frequently. There will, of course, be much excitement, a lot of cider and, inevitably, some degree of idiocy here and there.
The last time the Olympics were in London was in 1948, now referred to nostalgically as 'the austerity games' [irony klaxon]. Britain was battered, bruised and proud. And poor. This summer sees a nation citing poverty while never once steering their gaze form the 47" plasma screen HD television on the wall. Still, like 1948, 2012 sees a nation stung, to a lesser extent of course, by the realisation of what our troops have been experiencing in foreign fields; in the wadis and dustbowls of Afghanistan.
Thanks to causes like Help For Heroes and the quite wonderful Royal British Legion, we are learning some of the lessons of war before the conflict is over. While the rest of Britain thumps its chest with pride at a silver medal in the clean-and-jerk, a small army of veterans will be contributing to another fine account of bravery and reality, courtesy of the Bravo 22 theatre company. Bravo 22 has been formed by wounded, injured and sick service personnel specifically to stage The Two Worlds of Charlie F, a new play by Owen Sheers, which follows the stories of injured soldiers from the battlefield back to the UK and the hospital beds of Headley Court. Produced from true accounts from war veterans, the play charts the ups, downs, heartache and prescription drug-fuelled hallucinations of injured soldiers and their journey back to a new reality.
So, puff your chest out, sing for Queen and country and buy a ticket to see The Two Worlds of Charlie F. It's your duty.
Owen Sheers' new work is running at the New Alexandra Theatre in Birmingham for three days from Thursday 19th July 2012, with an evening performance each day and two on Saturday 21st July. We have tickets available now, priced £14.50 to £29.50.
After Birmingham, the work moves onto The Sherman Cymru in Cardiff (25th to 28th July, £15 - £22), then The Pleasance Grand in Edinburgh (7th to 11th August, £12.50 - £15) before landing in London (6th to 8th September, venue TBC).
You may be interested in
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Mar 2018 Strangers On A TrainBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Mon 26th Mar 2018 An Evening with: Ant MiddletonBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Sat 9th Jun 2018 The Kite RunnerBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Sat 3rd Mar 2018 The MoorBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Fri 4th May 2018 Frozen [play]Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Feb 2018 to Thu 1st Mar 2018 Levison WoodBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 Benefit gig for Ricky Ricketts: Groove Armada - DJ Set, Orbital, Freestylers, The Herbaliser...O2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Tue 27th Feb 2018 to Sat 3rd Mar 2018 The WeirBuy Tickets
- Tue 27th Feb 2018 Natalie Imbruglia, Eli 'Paperboy' Reed, Joy Crookes, Fundrai...: Ethiopiad FundraiserBush Hall (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Ivo Graham, Danny Posthill, Fundraising EventAspire (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Mon 12th Mar 2018 to Sat 23rd Jun 2018 BirdsongBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Mar 2018 and Sat 24th Mar 2018 Fundraising EventBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Mar 2018 Miles Jupp, Glasgow International Comedy Festival, Fundraisi...Citizens Theatre (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Mar 2018 Sandi Toksvig, Fundraising EventAlexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Mar 2018 Marillion, Howard Jones, Fundraising Event: Benefit Concert for Earthly MessengerFriars (Aylesbury)Buy Tickets
- Thu 5th Apr 2018 Gallipoli World Peace Concert: Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Fundraising EventCadogan Hall (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Tue 24th Apr 2018 to Sat 5th May 2018 KindertransportBuy Tickets
- Sun 29th Apr 2018 Mostly Autumn, Fundraising Event, FreewayThe Crescent Community Centre (York)Buy Tickets
- Tue 8th May 2018 to Sat 9th Jun 2018 Derren BrownBuy Tickets
- Thu 10th May 2018 Nathan Moore, Owen Paul, Electro 80s, Fundraising EventPyramid/ Parr Hall (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 to Tue 28th Aug 2018 Little WomenBuy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Sep 2018 to Sat 8th Sep 2018 Private PeacefulBuy Tickets