Tom Hingley set for autumn 2012 academy dates
With the Inspiral Carpets continuing without him, the band's former vocalist is taking his solo material (and some Inspirals classics) on the road in September - tickets Monday
Tom Hingley's distinctive vocal and instantly recognisable bowl haircut, albeit an inferior do to Clint Boon's all-conquering fruit-bowl dome, crowned many a glorious indie moment at the end of the 1980s and into the early 90s. With the Inspiral Carpets, a band he joined as lead vocalist in 1989, seeing off someone called Noel Gallagher in the audition process, Hingley scored a handful of top-notch inspiring indie hits such as Joe, This Is How It Feels, She Comes in the Fall and Dragging Me Down.
The band split in the mid-nineties and Hingley, like Boon, began a solo career that lasted until an Inspirals reunion in 2003. Eight years on (and probably eight years longer than many thought the reformation would last), Hingley left the Inspiral Carpets and the band's original singer Stephen Holt returned to the line-up. At the time of writing, the restored Inspiral Carpets are supporting another Manchester stalwart, the Happy Mondays, on their reunion tour. By all accounts, it's going very well.
Not that it really matters to Tom Hingley. The polite, professional rhetoric following his departure from the band hints at a fundamental parting of ways that men in their middle years know better than to bitch about. Deep breaths all round and Hingley, always underrated as an artist in his own right, continues to take his solo material and a few Inspiral Carpets' standards on the road.
Tom Hingley kicks off his academy tour in Newcastle-upon-Tyne on 6th September, followed by shows in Liverpool, Birmingham and Bristol, before the final date at the Islington Academy on 13th September 2012. We will have tickets available from 9am on Monday 14th May, priced £7 to £8.
Ahead of the autumn dates, Tom is playing a handful of summer gigs including Wolverhampton (20th June), Edinburgh (5th July) and South sea (17th July) - we have tickets available now, again priced just £7 to £8.
- Thu 27th Sep 2018 Tom HingleyLiVe (Preston)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Oct 2018 Tom HingleyManchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 Tom HingleyThe Record Factory (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Nov 2018 Tom HingleyFibbers (York)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 Tom HingleyGuildhall (Gloucester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 Tom HingleyThe Holroyd Arms (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 Tom HingleyThe Welly Club (Hull)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 to Sun 28th Oct 2018 We Are ScientistsBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 to Fri 24th May 2019 The BluetonesBuy Tickets
- Thu 27th Sep 2018 and Fri 8th Feb 2019 R.E.M. by StipeBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Sep 2018 to Sat 23rd Feb 2019 Peter Hook: Technique and RepublicBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Hunter and the Bear, The Pearl Harts, MellahThe Wardrobe (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 and Sat 6th Oct 2018 Clint BoonBuy Tickets
- Thu 4th Oct 2018 to Sat 20th Oct 2018 Hunter and the BearBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 to Sat 8th Dec 2018 Twisted WheelBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Nov 2018 The Winachi TribeRecord Junkee (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 to Fri 16th Nov 2018 FindlayBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 Kilmarnock Dirty Weekender, Jake Bugg, The Coral, The Sex Pi...Various Venues Kilmarnock (Kilmarnock)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 Gigantic Vol. 5: Echo and the Bunnymen, The Wonder Stuff, The Bluetones, Jesu...Manchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets