Tom Hingley set for autumn 2012 academy dates
With the Inspiral Carpets continuing without him, the band's former vocalist is taking his solo material (and some Inspirals classics) on the road in September - tickets Monday
Tom Hingley's distinctive vocal and instantly recognisable bowl haircut, albeit an inferior do to Clint Boon's all-conquering fruit-bowl dome, crowned many a glorious indie moment at the end of the 1980s and into the early 90s. With the Inspiral Carpets, a band he joined as lead vocalist in 1989, seeing off someone called Noel Gallagher in the audition process, Hingley scored a handful of top-notch inspiring indie hits such as Joe, This Is How It Feels, She Comes in the Fall and Dragging Me Down.
The band split in the mid-nineties and Hingley, like Boon, began a solo career that lasted until an Inspirals reunion in 2003. Eight years on (and probably eight years longer than many thought the reformation would last), Hingley left the Inspiral Carpets and the band's original singer Stephen Holt returned to the line-up. At the time of writing, the restored Inspiral Carpets are supporting another Manchester stalwart, the Happy Mondays, on their reunion tour. By all accounts, it's going very well.
Not that it really matters to Tom Hingley. The polite, professional rhetoric following his departure from the band hints at a fundamental parting of ways that men in their middle years know better than to bitch about. Deep breaths all round and Hingley, always underrated as an artist in his own right, continues to take his solo material and a few Inspiral Carpets' standards on the road.
Tom Hingley kicks off his academy tour in Newcastle-upon-Tyne on 6th September, followed by shows in Liverpool, Birmingham and Bristol, before the final date at the Islington Academy on 13th September 2012. We will have tickets available from 9am on Monday 14th May, priced £7 to £8.
Ahead of the autumn dates, Tom is playing a handful of summer gigs including Wolverhampton (20th June), Edinburgh (5th July) and South sea (17th July) - we have tickets available now, again priced just £7 to £8.
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 Tom HingleyThe Welly Club (Hull)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 Tom Hingley, Mark Morriss, Nigel Clark [dodgy]The Exchange (Hanley)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 Tom HingleyThe Keys (Yarm)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 Happy Mondays, Tom HingleyThe Avenue (Chesterfield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Jan 2019 Tom HingleyThe Waterloo (Blackpool)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Jun 2019 Tom HingleyThe Salty Dog (Northwich)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 Kilmarnock Dirty Weekender, Jake Bugg, The Coral, The Sex Pi...Various Venues Kilmarnock (Kilmarnock)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 to Fri 14th Dec 2018 Twisted WheelBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 Hunter and the BearO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 to Sat 5th Oct 2019 R.E.M. by StipeBuy Tickets
- Thu 7th Feb 2019 to Sat 23rd Feb 2019 Peter Hook: Technique and RepublicBuy Tickets
- Wed 13th Mar 2019 to Fri 24th May 2019 The BluetonesBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Mar 2019 The Winachi TribeAuction Rooms [formerly WA1] (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Apr 2019 Oasish, The Clone Roses, The Smiths Ltd, Clint BoonRock City (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 Gigantic Vol. 5: Echo and the Bunnymen, The Wonder Stuff, The Bluetones, Jesu...Manchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2019 Peter Hook, Manchester Camerata: Joy Division OrchestratedRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets