Tom Hingley set for autumn 2012 academy dates
With the Inspiral Carpets continuing without him, the band's former vocalist is taking his solo material (and some Inspirals classics) on the road in September - tickets Monday
Tom Hingley's distinctive vocal and instantly recognisable bowl haircut, albeit an inferior do to Clint Boon's all-conquering fruit-bowl dome, crowned many a glorious indie moment at the end of the 1980s and into the early 90s. With the Inspiral Carpets, a band he joined as lead vocalist in 1989, seeing off someone called Noel Gallagher in the audition process, Hingley scored a handful of top-notch inspiring indie hits such as Joe, This Is How It Feels, She Comes in the Fall and Dragging Me Down.
The band split in the mid-nineties and Hingley, like Boon, began a solo career that lasted until an Inspirals reunion in 2003. Eight years on (and probably eight years longer than many thought the reformation would last), Hingley left the Inspiral Carpets and the band's original singer Stephen Holt returned to the line-up. At the time of writing, the restored Inspiral Carpets are supporting another Manchester stalwart, the Happy Mondays, on their reunion tour. By all accounts, it's going very well.
Not that it really matters to Tom Hingley. The polite, professional rhetoric following his departure from the band hints at a fundamental parting of ways that men in their middle years know better than to bitch about. Deep breaths all round and Hingley, always underrated as an artist in his own right, continues to take his solo material and a few Inspiral Carpets' standards on the road.
Tom Hingley kicks off his academy tour in Newcastle-upon-Tyne on 6th September, followed by shows in Liverpool, Birmingham and Bristol, before the final date at the Islington Academy on 13th September 2012. We will have tickets available from 9am on Monday 14th May, priced £7 to £8.
Ahead of the autumn dates, Tom is playing a handful of summer gigs including Wolverhampton (20th June), Edinburgh (5th July) and South sea (17th July) - we have tickets available now, again priced just £7 to £8.
- Fri 5th Apr 2019 Tom Hingley, Mark MorrissKu Bar (Stockton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Apr 2019 Tom Hingley, True Order, Transmission [The Sound of Joy Divi...Longfield Live (Greater Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Jun 2019 Tom HingleyThe Salty Dog (Northwich)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Thu 21st Feb 2019 to Sat 21st Sep 2019 Peter HookBuy Tickets
- Sat 9th Mar 2019 to Sat 5th Oct 2019 R.E.M. by StipeBuy Tickets
- Wed 13th Mar 2019 to Fri 24th May 2019 The BluetonesBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Mar 2019 The Winachi TribeAuction Rooms [formerly WA1] (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Apr 2019 Oasish, The Clone Roses, The Smiths Ltd, Clint BoonRock City (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Apr 2019 William McCarthyOxted United Reformed Church (Surrey)Buy Tickets
- Sat 11th May 2019 and Sat 15th Jun 2019 Clint BoonBuy Tickets
- Sat 11th May 2019 Y.O.U.N.G.The Globe (Glossop)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th May 2019 Pub in the Park, Jake Bugg, The Bluetones, All SaintsHigginson Park - Marlow (Buckinghamshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 Gigantic, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Wonder Stuff, The Bluet...Manchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2019 Stone Valley Festival South: Stone Valley Festival, Peter Hook, Geno Washington, The Spit...Hillside Farm - Ware (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Tue 28th May 2019 and Sat 1st Jun 2019 The Sugarhill GangBuy Tickets
- Wed 29th May 2019 and Thu 30th May 2019 The Sugarhill Gang, The Furious 5Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2019 The Clone Roses, Kazabian, The Smiths Ltd, Clint BoonO2 Academy Leeds (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2019 Pub in the Park, Will Young, The Bluetones, DJ Craig Charles: Evening SessionThe Lambing Shed (Knutsford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2019 Glastonferry, The Clone Roses, Oas-is, The Smiths Ltd, The C...Bank Park (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Jun 2019 and Sun 14th Jul 2019 Pub in the Park, Will Young, The Bluetones: Evening SessionBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2019 Peter Hook, Manchester Camerata: Joy Division OrchestratedRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets