Folk hero Ralph McTell announces huge autumn 2012 tour
The folk legend is set to take you by the hand and lead you through a massive tour which kicks off in October, tickets on sale now
Ralph McTell's name has become a by-word for esoteric folkiness. Anyone who knows English folk knows who McTell is and everyone else - everyone - knows his most famous song.
Born in Kent towards the end of World War II, McTell found his voice throughout an at times difficult childhood and something of a peripatetic existence as a young man, spending time busking on the streets of Paris before meeting his Norwegian wife there and settling in Cornwall. The song for which McTell is most famous is his 1974 smash-hit single, Streets of London. Covered hundreds of times and sung in school halls and choirs everywhere, Streets of London is, fittingly enough, a staple of buskers all over the world.
Inspired by his own observations of life on the street, the song has become something of a busking anthem. But it's not just the street corners and subways of the world which appreciate Streets of London; it won McTell an Ivor Novello award and was an enormous success. It is fair to say that McTell's appeal extends far beyond that one song, with the folk hero releasing around 40 albums since the late sixties.
Ralph McTell's autumn tour begins in Runcorn on 4th October, followed by dates in Morecambe, Ulverston, Berwick, Sheffield, Derby, Didcot, Cambridge and plenty more, before the final gig at London's magnificent Cadogan Hall on Saturday 8th December 2012.
We have tickets available now, priced from £17.50 to £25, for London. Most are £19 or £20.
You may be interested in
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 to Fri 9th Mar 2018 Mike DawesBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 to Wed 6th Jun 2018 Martin CarthyBuy Tickets
- Wed 7th Mar 2018 The Guitar Masterclass Series: Jon GommDingwalls - Lock 17 (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 12th Mar 2018 to Sat 6th Oct 2018 Martin SimpsonBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 to Sat 18th Aug 2018 Gordon GiltrapBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 to Fri 7th Dec 2018 LindisfarneBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Mar 2018 to Wed 11th Apr 2018 Geoff AchisonBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 and Fri 25th May 2018 Brooks WilliamsBuy Tickets
- Sun 6th May 2018 Hans Theessink, Brooks WilliamsThe Crescent Community Centre (York)Buy Tickets
- Thu 17th May 2018 to Thu 24th May 2018 Tommy Emmanuel: The Intimate Sound TourBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th Jun 2018 Woody MannThe Greystones (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Mon 9th Jul 2018 to Thu 12th Jul 2018 James Taylor, Bonnie RaittBuy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Paul Simon, Ja...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 Kaleidoscope Festival, The Flaming Lips, Ghostpoet, Mystery ...Alexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 to Mon 17th Dec 2018 The War of The Worlds, Jason Donovan, Newton FaulknerBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2019 and Thu 13th Jun 2019 Elton John: Farewell TourBuy Tickets