The Nightingales confirm No Love Lost 2012 UK tour dates
Ted Chippington to support Peel favourites during spring 2012 jaunt, tickets on sale now
Recently, John Peel's record collection was posted onto the internet for the first time, enabling keen music-spotters to see inside the man's treasure trove. So far, just 100 images of very eclectic records from the letter 'A' have been uploaded onto the Space (as it's called) and, because its Peel, you can nod knowingly as to why he'd have all three ABC albums, filed alongside The Abyssinians (reggae) and Abdel Gadir Salim (Sudanese roots). By the time they get to 'N', his beloved Nightingales will have finished touring, but you'd expect at least one or two of the post-punk legends' classics to be in there somewhere. Probably near to Napalm Death and Youssou N'Dour.
The Nightingales have just recently issued their seventh studio album via Cooking Vinyl. Entitled 'No Love Lost', it's as brazen and as boisterous as you'd expect Robert Lloyd's band to be. And, believe me, they have been very brazen and very boisterous. Whilst not an out-and-out punk-band, The Nightingales were Birmingham's alternative to Manchester's The Fall, in the sense that lyrics were often darkly-humoured, wordy and surreal and the music naggingly atonal, yet alluring.
They recorded nearly as many Peel Sessions as Mark E. Smith's powerhouses and Liverpool's Half Man Half Biscuit and became something of a religion for many listeners back in the early '80s. Debut album 'Pigs On Purpose' was a rich mixture of artful pathos and bluster and became a fixture on the then-Indie Charts. After two more albums, 'Hysterics' in 1983 and 'In The Good Old Country Way' in 1986, The Nightingales separated for twenty years or so, reforming in 2004 and beginning a prolific string of albums, right up to this latest belter.
Later this month, The Nightingales will be escorted on a full UK tour by long-time mate and dead-pan alternative comedian Ted Chippington, another Peel hero who has released a somewhat bewildering selection of cover-versions including 'The Wanderer', 'D.I.S.C.O.' and 'She Loves You', as well as the classic 'Man in a Suitcase' album. After years of truck-driving in the States, he's back performing with new material.
The tour begins in Shrewsbury on 29th May, followed by Brighton, London, Southampton and many more until a rare stop in Kidderminster on 10th June. All tickets are available now for a tenner or less in most cases. Enjoy.
You may be interested in
- Sun 21st Oct 2018 and Mon 22nd Oct 2018 Echo and the Bunnymen: The Stars, The Ocean and The MoonBuy Tickets
- Sun 21st Oct 2018 All Years Leaving: Dream Wife, Goat Girl, Warmduscher, Snail MailThe Hare & Hounds 1/2 (Kings Heath)Buy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Oct 2018 to Wed 24th Oct 2018 EditorsBuy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Oct 2018 to Sat 15th Dec 2018 WarmduscherBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Oct 2018 to Thu 1st Nov 2018 The KVBBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 and Sat 27th Oct 2018 Sleaford ModsBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 and Sat 29th Dec 2018 The Filthy TonguesBuy Tickets
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 SextileThe Prince Albert (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Nov 2018 to Sun 25th Nov 2018 Hugh Cornwell: Electric MonsterBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 to Sat 17th Nov 2018 Killing Joke: Laugh at Your PerilBuy Tickets
- Thu 8th Nov 2018 to Sat 15th Dec 2018 BlurtBuy Tickets
- Sun 11th Nov 2018 to Sat 17th Nov 2018 The MekonsBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 to Tue 20th Nov 2018 Interpol, Nilüfer YanyaBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 ShameBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 and Fri 16th Nov 2018 InterpolBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 to Sat 16th Feb 2019 The Monochrome SetBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 Blue OrchidsThe Moon Club (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 and Sat 1st Dec 2018 A Certain RatioBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Nov 2018 to Sat 8th Dec 2018 Miles Kane, CabbageBuy Tickets
- Sun 9th Dec 2018 to Sun 16th Dec 2018 Chameleons VoxBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Apr 2019 to Sat 20th Apr 2019 Headsticks, Interrobang, Steve IgnorantBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 Gigantic Vol. 5: Echo and the Bunnymen, The Wonder Stuff, The Bluetones, Jesu...Manchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2019 The CureMalahide Castle (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Sep 2019 Punishment of Luxury, Blue OrchidsWestgarth Social Club (Middlesbrough)Buy Tickets