Nik Kershaw announces full autumn 2012 UK tour
New album and Human Racing re-issue to fuel shows, tickets on sale Friday 20th April 2012
It seems like only yesterday that a young '80s songwriter called Nik Kershaw was bouncing around on Top of the Pops with guitar, rolled-up shiny sleeves and, what looked like, a blonde pineapple growing out of his head - the glory days of bonkers haircuts and fashion travesties. Go on admit it - you'd have loved to have lived through the Thatcher years really.
Actually, the broad palette of music available for the majority of that decade probably saved many people from total despair (or put them in it, depending on your point of view). At one point and for little more than 18 months, Nik Kershaw occupied more wall-space in kids' bedrooms than paint or wallpaper. The man was splashed across pop publications with consummate regularity with Smash Hits and Record Mirror lavishing their readers with his hit lyrics and press shots.
Kershaw began his successful, yet brief, career prolifically, crafting two albums in a year and owning 1984 with both 'Human Racing' and 'The Riddle'. Packed with catchy ineffectual hits such as 'Wouldn't It Be Good', 'I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me', 'Dancing Girls' and the title-track, 'Human Racing' has remained his highest-charting album to date. Its same-year follow-up, 'The Riddle', also notched up platinum-sales and spawned bigger hits in 'Wide Boy', 'Don Quixote' and the soft-folk synthetics of the title track.
However, after a year and a half of heady fame and stardom, Kershaw's third album 'Radio Musicola', failed to charm the 'teenybopper' fans he had accrued and fell short of the Top 40 - so much for growing and maturing. But the songwriter took this in his stride, hit the hairdressers and changed tack to become an underrated, but still-decent, composer. A new album is mooted for the autumn as well as a proper deluxe reissue of that first debut set.
Both of these releases are likely to form the basis of Nik Kershaw's first UK tour since his last sold-out semi-acoustic 'No Frills' jaunt in 2010. After a spell of festival appearances across the UK, Kershaw will perform headline shows during September 2012, starting in Sheffield on the 19th, followed by Liverpool, Birmingham and more until London's Shepherd's Bush Empire on 28th September. We will have tickets available from 9am on Friday 20th April - many shows are likely to be sell-outs.
You may also be interested in
- Sat 22nd Sep 2018 and Mon 24th Sep 2018 Dionne WarwickBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Sep 2018 to Thu 13th Dec 2018 FishBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Sep 2018 to Sat 9th Feb 2019 Disney Presents the Lion KingBuy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Sep 2018 to Sat 29th Sep 2018 Bright Light Bright LightBuy Tickets
- Sun 30th Sep 2018 to Sat 16th Feb 2019 The Rocket Man [Elton John tribute]Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th Sep 2018 to Sat 13th Oct 2018 Joshua Radin, William FitzsimmonsBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 to Fri 15th Feb 2019 Dr FeelgoodBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 to Sat 27th Oct 2018 Tom RobinsonBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 Gareth GatesRevelation - St Mary's Church (Ashford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 IronikDiamond Live Lounge (Doncaster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Oct 2018 to Fri 22nd Feb 2019 Kiki DeeBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 to Thu 22nd Nov 2018 Jon Hopkins: SingularityBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Chesney HawkesThe Civic Hall - Cottingham (East Riding of Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 and Sun 28th Oct 2018 Stepback - the 80s Concert, Tony Hadley, ABC, Bonnie Tyler, ...Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 and Mon 5th Nov 2018 Curtis StigersBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 to Sun 14th Apr 2019 Woman To Woman, Judie Tzuke, Beverley Craven, Julia FordhamBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 to Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Culture Club, Belinda Carlisle, Thompson Twins - Tom Bailey: LifeBuy Tickets
- Tue 13th Nov 2018 to Fri 16th Nov 2018 Deadmau5Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Amy Rigby, Vinny PeculiarGullivers Bar (Northern Quarter)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 The Warehouse Project, Deadmau5WHP Store Street (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 to Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Amy RigbyBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 Belinda Carlisle, Thompson TwinsBonus Sports Arena (Hull)Buy Tickets
- Tue 27th Nov 2018 Dystopian Dream: Nitin SawhneySadler's Wells (Clerkenwell)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 Kiki Dee, Carmelo LuggeriSt John's Church - Farncombe (Godalming)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Dec 2018 Woman To Woman, Judie TzukeVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Dec 2018 to Sun 16th Dec 2018 Josh GrobanBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 The Pretty Things, David Gilmour, Van Morrison: Final BowIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Dec 2018 to Sun 24th Mar 2019 Paul CarrackBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 '80s Christmas Concert: Stepback - the 80s Concert, Tony Hadley, Bonnie Tyler, ABC, ...Ricoh Arena / Ericsson Arena (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2019 to Sat 15th Jun 2019 Elton John: Farewell Yellow Brick RoadBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2019 to Mon 1st Jul 2019 Gladys KnightBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Jun 2019 and Tue 25th Jun 2019 The Beach BoysBuy Tickets