Zhang Yimou brings Puccini's Turandot to Wembley Stadium for June 2012
Giacomo Puccini's three-act work is being scaled up in the grandest of ways with a one-off spectacular performance at Wembley Stadium in June, tickets Friday 20th April
If the prospect of the opening ceremony for the London 2012 Olympics fills you with dread given the incredible spectacle offered by Beijing four years earlier, worry no more. With the budget for the curtain-raiser recently increased, a wide range of supporting events also continues to be announced which includes a number of genuinely mouth-watering spectacles.
High on this list must be the production of Puccini's Turandot to be performed at Wembley Stadium on Saturday 23rd June. And if the notion that a mere opera could fill the vast draughty eaves of the mighty stadium, fear not - the man in charge of bringing Turandot to Wembley is film director Zhang Yimou. If you're unsure of his credentials, be aware that he is the very man who engineered that dramatic opening ceremony in Beijing.
Zhang Yimou's staging will recruit 600 artists from both the UK and China with world famous tenor Placido Domingo as musical director - the new production will combine the traditional Chinese motifs of Turandot (which is set in China) with advanced sound and lighting effects. And, of course, the third act includes the climactic aria Nessun Dorma, which gained widespread popularity when used as a theme for the Italia 90 World Cup, when England were actually good at football (no, honestly - they were). Turandot takes place during the Euro 2012 tournament and any football fans at Wembley that day may leave wishing Zhang Yimou had been given the England manager's job...
We will have tickets for Turandot at Wembley Stadium on Saturday 23rd June 2012 when they go on sale at 9am on Friday 20th April, priced £30 and £70. It promises to be one of the most memorable events of an unforgettable summer in the capital.
You may be interested in
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 to Sun 18th Mar 2018 ToscaBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 to Sat 17th Nov 2018 Miss SaigonBuy Tickets
- Tue 6th Mar 2018 to Mon 1st Oct 2018 Madam ButterflyBuy Tickets
- Thu 8th Mar 2018 Welsh National Opera, ToscaHippodrome (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Apr 2018 Madam Butterfly, Ellen Kent - Opera InternationalCaird Hall/ Marryat Hall (Dundee)Buy Tickets
- Thu 5th Apr 2018 Gallipoli World Peace Concert: Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Fundraising EventCadogan Hall (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Sun 6th May 2018 Itzhak Perlman, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra: The Mozart RequiemRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Thu 31st May 2018 to Sat 30th Jun 2018 Alfie BoeBuy Tickets
- Thu 19th Jul 2018 Lytham Festival, Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, Pete Ton...Lytham Green (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Jul 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, Pete Tong, Jules Buckley,...Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Sep 2018 Karl JenkinsMethodist Central Hall/ Great Hall (Westminster)Buy Tickets