Zhang Yimou brings Puccini's Turandot to Wembley Stadium for June 2012
Giacomo Puccini's three-act work is being scaled up in the grandest of ways with a one-off spectacular performance at Wembley Stadium in June, tickets Friday 20th April
If the prospect of the opening ceremony for the London 2012 Olympics fills you with dread given the incredible spectacle offered by Beijing four years earlier, worry no more. With the budget for the curtain-raiser recently increased, a wide range of supporting events also continues to be announced which includes a number of genuinely mouth-watering spectacles.
High on this list must be the production of Puccini's Turandot to be performed at Wembley Stadium on Saturday 23rd June. And if the notion that a mere opera could fill the vast draughty eaves of the mighty stadium, fear not - the man in charge of bringing Turandot to Wembley is film director Zhang Yimou. If you're unsure of his credentials, be aware that he is the very man who engineered that dramatic opening ceremony in Beijing.
Zhang Yimou's staging will recruit 600 artists from both the UK and China with world famous tenor Placido Domingo as musical director - the new production will combine the traditional Chinese motifs of Turandot (which is set in China) with advanced sound and lighting effects. And, of course, the third act includes the climactic aria Nessun Dorma, which gained widespread popularity when used as a theme for the Italia 90 World Cup, when England were actually good at football (no, honestly - they were). Turandot takes place during the Euro 2012 tournament and any football fans at Wembley that day may leave wishing Zhang Yimou had been given the England manager's job...
We will have tickets for Turandot at Wembley Stadium on Saturday 23rd June 2012 when they go on sale at 9am on Friday 20th April, priced £30 and £70. It promises to be one of the most memorable events of an unforgettable summer in the capital.
You may be interested in
- Mon 27th May 2019 to Mon 17th Jun 2019 Tosca [Royal Opera], Angela Gheorghiu, Bryn TerfelBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Jun 2019 Alfie Boe: Party at the CastleSudeley Castle (Gloucestershire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Jun 2019 Soundtrack of the 80s: Quincy Jones, Jules BuckleyThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th Jun 2019 The Planets: an HD Odyssey: Royal Philharmonic OrchestraRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 7th Jul 2019 Cornbury Festival, The Beach Boys, Paul Carrack, Alfie Boe, ...The Great Tew Park (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jul 2019 and Sat 27th Jul 2019 RentBuy Tickets
- Wed 31st Jul 2019 to Sat 2nd Nov 2019 Ludovico EinaudiBuy Tickets
- Sun 13th Oct 2019 Karl JenkinsRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Oct 2019 Steve ReichBarbican (City of London)Buy Tickets
- Wed 30th Oct 2019 Philip Glass Ensemble, Philip GlassBarbican (City of London)Buy Tickets
- Tue 12th Nov 2019 to Fri 15th Nov 2019 La BohèmeBuy Tickets
- Wed 11th Dec 2019 John Rutter, Royal Philharmonic OrchestraRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 15th Dec 2019 Carols by Candlelight, Mozart Festival OrchestraCadogan Hall (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Feb 2020 to Fri 17th Apr 2020 Madam Butterfly [ENO]Buy Tickets